Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Massive problems.... help!  (Read 3413 times)

Lios

Massive problems.... help!
« on: October 06, 2005, 07:39:29 PM »
ok, hello there, I need any help anyone can give me at the moment.... A few days ago, ,I downloaded a video off file planet, and since then, I keep getting these popups ending in yyy34 ALL THE TIME. when I looked in Task Manager I found a program, rundll32, which I knew was an integral part of the system, but also knew could be a virus. At around the same time as this, I kept getting the error message,

Runtime error!

Program: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unsual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

which came up every time I started the computer up. I looked on the net for a solution to this, and everyone said to uninstall the google toolbar. Now the probem with this is that uninstalling the google toolbar works when you have a runtime error with Internet explorer, but not explorer.exe. So that didnt work.
Now, 4 days later, I really suspected that rundll32 was responsible for all those popups, so I ran Stinger to take it away, which fails miserably. It is still there. So, under the advice of symantec. com, i went into the registry to see if i could find any anomalous registry items involving rundll32. I found a few, modified them. THEN, I restarted my computer to see if this would help, and now I cant access any programs, because if i try to click on anything in my programs file under the Start menu, every program says the same thing;

Windows cannot find C:\Program Files\(program name).exe. you may have typed the name incorrectly in the run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

I think that because I thought rundll32.exe was a virus or malware masquerading as a legitimate file, i deleted it, and now all my 32 bit files have been corrupted. Now, if that is the case, how can i get it to work again, because i modified the registry values too, to stop the popups, which are still there.

one last thing, NOW, when i open the task manager, all thats in there is rundll32 3 times over, and sometimes Ndetect pops up, and thats it... every single other program, even explorer and systray, have disappeared.... Now, if I can sort the program problem by sorting rundll32, then how do I get rid of the runtime error? because that started before all of this fiasco with rundll32, and is still there....

Any help would be greatly appreciatd, because my computer knowledge is limited, and I think ive reached the end of my tether with this, so can anyone help?
Im running my computer on Windows ME, just in case thats any help..

If you need any other info, then just ask, I could give you a Hijackthis log, if you wanted.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 07:45:58 PM by Lios »

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Massive problems.... help!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:48:56 PM »
Did you try a system restore and see if that helps. Can you get into safemode or is that an issue to? Can you open the internet and download a regisrty error to scan and repair. Or if you really need help and get to last resort reformat your hard drive and start fresh?

run32.dll known as Run32 Dll

run32.dll

run32.dll - Here is the scoop on Run32 Dll. The big question: what is run32.dll and is it spyware, a trojan and if so, how do I get rid of Run32 Dll?

run32.dll (Run32 Dll) - Details
Run32.dll is a critical component of windows. If run32.dll is unavailable, windows will not function correctly.

run32.dll is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Run32 Dll may adversly impact your system.

The Spy Bot database currently registers run32.dll to Microsoft.

This is part of Microsoft Windows.

Whenever you have a concern about a file like run32.dll, feel free to visit our free spyware removal page to help verify your file is not a security risk.

The Spy Bot database is updated often, but inaccuracies may still exist, often caused by viruses named after valid files such as Run32 Dll. Always verify your results just to play it safe.

RUN32.DLL - Disclaimer
Every attempt has been made to provide you with the correct information for run32.dll or RUN32 DLL. Many spyware/malware programs use filenames of usual, non-malware programs. If we have included information about run32.dll that is inaccurate, we would greatly appreciate your help by updating the spy bot database and we'll promptly correct it.

You should verify the accuracy of information we provided about run32.dll. Run32 Dll may have had a status change since this page was published.

Website source:
http://www.auditmypc.com/process/run32.asp
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 07:52:12 PM by Windows98 »

Lios

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 08:24:14 PM »
I can access the net.... and thats it. I could try a system restore, but i think the problem is that i deleted rundll32 out of the registry, and because the regisry is a 32 bit file, i cant go into the registry to fix it. I want to make a starup disk, but add/remove programs isnt working.... so ill try a system resotre. hold on, back soon with an answer.

Lios

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:36:07 PM »
ok, i cant do a system restore, it says i dont have the permissions to access the program, another rundll32 fault, and i cant create a boot disk and boot up an old registry, cos i cant access add/remove programs, and, i cant download a boot disk cos its a RAR file and I cant use WinRAR another rundll32 problem. this is going well.

Windows98

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 09:00:36 PM »
To create a startup disk http://www.bootdisk.com

Lios

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 09:03:50 PM »
that doesnt work, ive tried it..... i can download it, but i cant access it cos its a 32 bit file, and rundll32 is broken... what i need iis a list of all the programs in that file, and then i can download them individually, because then i wouldnt need to go throught any progrmas to sort it out then...If you dont mind, could you download it and extract it, and give me a list of the files inside? i could find them then, and download them individually.....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 09:06:34 PM by Lios »

Windows98

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 09:06:18 PM »
So you cant run the application?

Lios

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 09:07:04 PM »
no, read my above post, i edited it.

Windows98

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 09:08:25 PM »
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/dll.htm Try reading this site see if it helps at all. If you can't open the application thatcontains the .dll I can get the file for you all you got to do is save it in the right directory.

*Computerhope is not responsible for .dll files installed on your computer the .dll has been check by the user with [Avast Antivirus and was certify virus free during scan. Not responcible for any damages done*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 09:17:31 PM by Windows98 »

Lios

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 09:21:16 PM »
Right. I just made a boot disk, ill see if it works... thanks for all your help.....

Lios

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 09:30:54 PM »
sorted...... everythings back the way it was before all this kerfuffle..... hey windows 98, you're alright in my book.... thanks so much, if you hadnt have found that site for me id be pretty much screwed..... thanks again....

Windows98

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 09:35:39 PM »
No problem, As long as your computer is working fine than its all ok.