Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bios update gone wrong  (Read 2747 times)

snake6man

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Bios update gone wrong
    « on: November 16, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »
    I bought a new dv7t quad edition HP laptop recently. I moved the 750gb 7200rpm hard drive to the secondary slot and was using a Crucial 256gb solid state drive as the boot drive. The HP help center told me that I needed a BIOS update, so I let it do its thing, and soon I had a laptop that would show nothing but a blank screen. I called HP and they said it was the hard drive, so I switched them and I have a working computer again. However, I need to be able to switch back to the solid state drive.

How do I get rid of whatever the BIOS update did to the hard drive?
    If you need me to post more info about the laptop, I can.
    Thank you for your time.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bios update gone wrong
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
    I made the leap forward to SSD with 2 laptops and 1 desktop. I had to prep my one OCZ Agility 90GB prior to OS installation, but my system would boot up past the post diagnostics with just an error of No OS Found. The Toshiba System Restore utility would boot and come up with No Hard Drives Detected  as for it was having a hard time finding the SSD and only option was to exit the system restore.

So your not getting a successful post ( HP Logo or detailed boot stats )?

I'd perform the flash to the BIOS with the original hard drive installed. If the BIOS is already at the version you are trying to flash it to, it wont hurt the computer and it will probably show a screen that shows existing BIOS Flash Version and the Flash version to be applied. If they both match you can exit the flash process as for you are already at the latest version.

*The prep that I had to perform to my SSD was that I had to connect it through a SATA to USB cable and make it act as an external hard drive. I then created a NTFS partition on it and then formatted it using Windows 7, which my Laptops OS is, and then I was then able to install the SSD to my laptop, and then boot off of my USB stick to install the OS to the SSD using the Toshiba System Restore Utility that I made before yanking the original hard drive. The restore utility now was able to find the SSD and install properly. This installation process deletes the partition I made when prepping the drive as for Windows 7 wants its default structure of partitioning.

I then was all set with a healthy running Toshiba off of the 90GB SSD. Super Fast Boot, and Fast application loads,  and longer battery life, but limited to like 72GB Free space after OS and all bundled programs installed to it.

snake6man

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Bios update gone wrong
      « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »
      So, I tried to do what you said but whenever I tried to format the new partition, it was saying that I didn't have enough space... I kept on lower the space I wanted to use but it still wouldn't work. But I decided to mess around with it. I just went to properties on the hard drive that was failing to boot, went to the tools tab and clicked on the check for errors option. It said it found a few. So I shut my computer down, switched the hard drives around again, rebooted, and presto, it works again.
      Thank you for your help though. I'm probably never going to be brave enough to update my BIOS again though, lol.