Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD  (Read 4788 times)

seanbrenna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    BSOD
    « on: November 21, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
    Anyone know how to fix this, occurred twice recently and I can't get system restore to work:

Mini112112-01.dmp   11/21/2012 8:01:26 AM   KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED   0x1000008e   0xc0000005   0xbf9569a9   0xb2544c00   0x00000000   win32k.sys   win32k.sys+1569a9   Multi-User Win32 Driver   Microsoft® Windows® Operating System   Microsoft Corporation   5.1.2600.6307 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.121022-1132)   32-bit   win32k.sys+1569a9   win32k.sys+14e036   win32k.sys+14e0b2   ntoskrnl.exe+6a6cc      C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini112112-01.dmp   2   15   2600   118,784   

Mini111212-01.dmp   11/12/2012 12:32:02 PM   KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED   0x1000008e   0xc0000005   0xbf9568c8   0xb0ef5c00   0x00000000   win32k.sys   win32k.sys+1568c8   Multi-User Win32 Driver   Microsoft® Windows® Operating System   Microsoft Corporation   5.1.2600.6307 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.121022-1132)   32-bit   win32k.sys+1568c8   win32k.sys+14df55   win32k.sys+14dfd1   ntoskrnl.exe+6a6cc      C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111212-01.dmp   2   15   2600   114,688   

Thanks!

-Sean

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: BSOD
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
    Download BlueScreenView:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
    when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
    Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
    Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

seanbrenna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
      Hi!  Thanks for the response.  I used that program and copied it in the above message... I may not have followed exactly what you said previously, but now I try to use the program again and it is blank   :(

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
      What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Also, it appears the two blue screens appeared more than a week apart. What were you doing at the two times they appeared?

seanbrenna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
        My guess is it could have to do with a program I installed called focalfilter... its a blocks you from certain websites you put on a list... time wasters like facebook, twitter etc.  I have since uninstalled it but that is the only think I can think of

seanbrenna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
          also, at the time, if I recall correctly, i was working... had microsoft word and excel open... probably google chrome.  nothing too crazy.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
          Well, it's only happened twice and as I said, separated by more than a week. I would spend a lot of time worrying about it unless it continues to happen. You can do some basic trouble shooting if you like:

1) To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

2) To run checkdisk, boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

3) Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Check all of the tabs for any startup programs with which you aren't familiar or don't need, and uncheck them.

seanbrenna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
            Okay I will try these... thanks alot... also, i forgot to mention I have tried system restore in safe mode and it doesn't work... I look in the event view for when I try to and it says this:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
            archlp
            iaStor

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
            I'm not a fan of system restore. I advocate disc imaging on a regular basis. It's flawless and will always provide you with a safe haven to which you can return if and when necessary.

seanbrenna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
              interesting... can you point me to some information about disk imaging?

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
              Sure - here's something I put together a while ago:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

seanbrenna

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
                Allan, thanks for your help.  I appreciate it!  -Sean

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »