Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Font Size problem  (Read 8204 times)

02bin3

Font Size problem
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
I am having a problem with Font size.  I checked out several pages in CH of Font size problems & solutions, however, none of them were quite like mine. 

I have a new computer that was running Windows 7 Home Premium & I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional.  I have FireFox for a browser and Yahoo for email.  The problem is that the Fonts are small in some emails and on my Tool Bars.  I went to the Control Panel and changed the Font size from Small to Medium and that worked out fairly well until I decided to use my Print Shop 23.1 program and I got a warning telling me that I would not be able to use some of the aspects of the program due to the change in Font size.  The size of the Fonts in some of the emails I get are extremely small even with boost to Medium.  When I ran the same Windows 7 Professional, FireFox and Yahoo email on my previous computer, I didn't have this problem.  Never had to change from the Small to Medium and the Small was easily read, until the new computer.  Is there some setting somewhere that falls in between the Small and Medium that wouldn't affect the Print Shop Program?  Thank you,

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Font Size problem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
I surmise you bought a new monitor with your new computer and your new monitor has a higher resolution than your old monitor; this will make text look smaller.  The plus side is that you can view more on your screen at one time than with the older monitor.

If all your email is webmail, i.e. email accessed by web browser, you can increase font size by pressing (and holding) the Ctrl key on your keyboard while rotating the mouse wheel or by pressing the + or - keys.  In other words, this technique provides a way to zoom in or zoom out.

I'll also mention a Windows 7 feature called Magnifier. For info on using Magnifier, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/turn-on-magnifier

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
Thank you for your answer, Soybean.  I do not have new monitors.  I'm still using the same two that I've had through 3 computers.  They are flat screen ACER AL1906 & ACER AL1916. 

I've done the various keyboard & mouse wheel enlargements, however, that only works on what is in the window and not on the tool bars.  What puzzles me is that, other than the new computer, everything I have or done is exactly the same programs and settings I'd used for the 3 previous years, yet the Fonts appear smaller.(?)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
I've done the various keyboard & mouse wheel enlargements, however, that only works on what is in the window and not on the tool bars.

I went to the Control Panel and changed the Font size from Small to Medium ...
Well, change it to Larger.

Thank you for your answer, Soybean.  I do not have new monitors.  I'm still using the same two that I've had through 3 computers.  They are flat screen ACER AL1906 & ACER AL1916. 
But, what was your resolution setting with the previous version of Windows and what is it now?

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
I guess I wasn't quite clear when I said that I'd changed it from Small to Medium and Print Shop didn't want to play well with the Medium setting.  I did change it back to Small which is what it had been set on any computer I've owned. 

The resolution settings now are 1280 x 1024 which is the recommended setting, however, I honestly do not recall what I had them set on before.   I'm sure, knowing me, that it was whatever the recommended settings were.  I have a dual monitor video card GeForce GT 430 if that makes a difference.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »
I guess I wasn't quite clear when I said that I'd changed it from Small to Medium and Print Shop didn't want to play well with the Medium setting.
So, you seem to have a software conflict.  What do you do with Print Shop?  Have you looked at any other programs that can do what you do with Print Shop?

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:18:47 AM »
Yes, I have looked into finding a program that works as well as Print Shop, short of spending over $500 for Photo Shop, and I don't even know if Photo Shop does what Print Shop does.  I did buy Serif, however, it had a wicked learning curve and no clip art.  Basically, I use Print Shop for greeting cards and posters.  I've looked into others, like Print Artist Platinum, however, after reading the buyer reviews, it sounded like it had a lot of issues that needed correcting.  And Print Shop was actually a far better program to use back in 1994 when I bought PS 3.0.  Something was lost in the "improvements". 

The Font size on my tabs, drop down menus, tool bars, browser, and in many of the emails I receive is about 8 pt.  Is this about what it should be for being set on Small?  I do not recall that it was that tiny on my old computer when set on the Small setting.

Thank you