Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB not-/semi-functional  (Read 3764 times)

SirScrawny

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    USB not-/semi-functional
    « on: November 25, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »
    I did a clean installation of Win7 a month ago, and everything went fine and was perfectly functional. Then one day, with no warning, two of my USB devices decide not to work. One of them has a little blinking light which indicates activity, and it reacts like it should, so I doubt the problem is with the devices themselves or the cables (considering that the two started malfunctioning at the same time, with different devices and different cables). The closest thing I can think of that could have anything to do with the problem was uninstalling my old graphics card drivers and switching to a new one, and even that seems so unbelievably far-fetched, it's not even funny. I've yet to find anything I could use to test if the computer's actually receiving the signal. All (and I do mean ALL) USB drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled, I've tried different ports and even system restore didn't affect the problem. I'm completely stumped, and wouldn't want to do another clean install before asking for help, since I just got my computer the way I like it.

Any help and ideas will be more than appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: USB not-/semi-functional
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:50:31 AM »
    One thing you can try is un-install all instances of USB roots and hubs on Device Manager..using right clik on each.
    You will get a warning...ignore it.
    On re-boor Windows will automatically restore them.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SirScrawny

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: USB not-/semi-functional
      « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
      One thing you can try is un-install all instances of USB roots and hubs on Device Manager..using right clik on each.
      You will get a warning...ignore it.
      On re-boor Windows will automatically restore them.

Been there, done that. I've pretty much given up on the whole thing and I'll be doing a clean install once I get the mental strength to do so. Sometimes I just hate computers