Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Speed  (Read 3369 times)

zebra3

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Internet Speed
    « on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:47 AM »
    I own 3 computer's all running Win7 and wireless N capable. I have 1 desktop computer on the 3rd floor. This computer is attached to a Linksys Wireless N Router model number E1500. I have a cable connection to a cable modem a Linksys RPC 3008.

On the 1st floor a distance of about 30 feet, I have a laptop and a desktop each with a Linksys USB N adapter Model AE1200 and I also have a Linksys range expander Model RE1000.

My question is this. I previously had DSL with ATT. The maxium download speed I could get from them was about 1.5mb. I could not get any higher speed because they said i was to far from the switching station. When I clicked on the signal bar in the system tray regarding the 2 computer's on the 1st floor the property page said 130mbps.

So I opted to cable and I am currently getting 15mb. All 3 computer's are running fine.

When I go into the system tray regarding the 2 computer's on the 1st floor and hit the signal bar they both show download speed's of 130mbps.

Why? I thought my download speed would increase regarding the computer's on the 1st floor when I got cable.

Can I increase the speed and how?

Thank's

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Internet Speed
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:50:04 AM »
    This is the connection handshake synch'ed with your wireless router that your looking at I believe. If you run www.speedtest.net from each one you will get better results to know what the actual bandwidth is, which if you only have 1 laptop going on wifi should be close to the maximum bandwidth your ISP gives you with your plan. If any other devices are using bandwidth your results on the computer testing bandwidth will be affected as for any devices on wifi that are going outbound or downloading at the same time of this test will all be competing for bandwidth and will report a slower connection. So this test should be done when either the other computers are off or idle and not running out to the web.

My connection is like 20mbps download and 12mbps upload with comcast cable.

My wireless on my laptop states 54mbps connection, and this is the rate at which it is synch'ed with my G - Router at 54mbps and my ISP connection at 20 down/12 up mbps is the bottleneck. Running this speedtest during a low internet traffic portion of the day, when most are offline late night etc will give the best results to show maximum values. If you run this at a busy part of the day when the ISP is busy with everyones traffic and many people streaming netflix etc your bandwidth with your ISP will show lower results due to congestion.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:42:41 AM »
    ...My question is this. I previously had DSL with ATT. The maxium download speed I could get from them was about 1.5mb. I could not get any higher speed because they said i was to far from the switching station. When I clicked on the signal bar in the system tray regarding the 2 computer's on the 1st floor the property page said 130mbps.

So I opted to cable and I am currently getting 15mb. All 3 computer's are running fine.

When I go into the system tray regarding the 2 computer's on the 1st floor and hit the signal bar they both show download speed's of 130mbps.

Why? I thought my download speed would increase regarding the computer's on the 1st floor when I got cable.

Can I increase the speed and how?

Thank's
    First of all, don't confuse megabits with megabytes.  Download file speeds are are in megabytes.
    Secondly, 130mbits/sec is speed to the router, not to the internet.  If your cable is 15mbits/sec, that's the maximum.
    Thirdly, you can increase your speed by paying your ISP cable provider for a higher speed tier.

zebra3

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »
      Thank you

zebra3

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
        To Computer Commando:

I did increase it from 1.5 to 15. And the speed remained the same. If I took a cable and plugged it into the router and plugged the other end into the range expander would it make any difference.

The computer on the 3rd floor speed increased significantly. It is just on the wireless side that it remained the same.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
        Test your internet speeds here:  http://www.speedtest.net/