Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP-New router hook up problems. Wireless Network Connection doesn't have valid  (Read 5194 times)

Old Man Bakke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    To anybody that could help me!

Thanks in advance.

My employer was bought out and in the process they re-did / bought all new computer stuff and got rid off all the old. I was able to take the old wireless router home and want to use it. However I can not get it to work and I know it works fine.

It is a Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband router. I get my internet form Comcast via the cable.

It fires up fine, password goes in well and then I get the "Wireless Network Connection doesn't have valid IP configuration" message. My computer is a Dell Inspiron with windows 7.

Help....

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert

Old Man Bakke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Yeah did the reset button on the back of the router and all it really did was reset the password....

Old Man Bakke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Did the Wikihow stuff-Hard and Soft start...still nothing. It shows up on my comuter as great service, but says no internet service. It just seems like the router and computer are not commmuncating..

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        Are you using the Linksys Router as your main modem/router or is it connected by your Comcast modem? Please post the complete Linksys Router model next time.

Old Man Bakke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I am using the Linksys (model #WRT54GC) as the router. The modem is th RCA one that Comacast has installed.

Thanks Jason!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          I think the RCA modem (Coaxial to USB) will not match with the Linksys router ethernet or ports available. It's either you will upgrade to a DSL modem with an ethernet port or you will be stuck with just an outdated modem device.

Old Man Bakke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Dont tell me that :(

Computer_Commando

Hacker

Old Man Bakke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

That is essentially how I have the modem and router set up. However, I don't run an Ethernet cord to a tower. I just run the wireless router to provide the signal for my laptop.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              Many companies turn off wireless inside the router.  Connect it wired so you can access all the settings from your browser.
              Linksys router is:  http://192.168.1.1/
              Cable modem is:  http://192.168.100.1/

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              I think the RCA modem (Coaxial to USB)
              If you have the same ethernet ports as opposed to my previous post of a USB which I must have be looking on much older modems prior, then you would be able to use the linksys wireless router for your Dell inspiron. Check the linksys router's DHCP server is enabled and leave all settings by default. The computer's wifi adapter must also be set in DHCP. http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=5450

You can configure the security password for the wifi later after you get a successful connection. You must be connected by wired first as CC mentioned to check on these settings.