Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Note enough free RAM  (Read 3105 times)

notenoughRAM

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Note enough free RAM
    « on: December 25, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
    I am running Win 7 on a Dell XPS M1210. It a 1GB hard drive, which, initially, ran Win 7 fantastically. That was a week ago. Now, I turn it on ( with NO cords accept the power cord), the RAM indicator shows 75%. As I type this, I only have this window open, 83%. I am waiting for another mem. stick to put in it. Until then what can I do to free memory for RAM? I have tried messing with the paging system, but I was not comfortable doing that. Fortunately, I knew what I changed, so I changed it back QUICKLY because I did not see any progress.

Razor

Beginner

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Note enough free RAM
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
    Hi

Have you checked to see nothing is using up the RAM? No programs running that are ram hogs, nothing running that shouldn't be? What about virus checking? No malware chewing up the system?

Just a few things I could think of that I'd check if I had that problem.

Cheers

Razor
    A lesson with power: "I moved the red psu switch from 240v to 110v then it went poof!"

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
    ...It a 1GB hard drive, which, initially, ran Win 7 fantastically...the RAM indicator shows 75%.....
    You must mean 1GB RAM?
    Win7 uses all available RAM so I see nothing wrong.

boy_bawang

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »
      Sorry for the late reply...

I agree with Computer_Commando, windows 7 might use almost all your available ram, but you can also try to find out if you have some start up programs that automatically start when you turn on the pc. Just press the windows button then type msconfig and hit enter. Then click startup and uncheck all unnecessary programs and reboot your pc. For the mean time while waiting for your additional ram, you can use readyboost (you need a usb thumbdrive for this). Its si simple, just search the google on how to do that. Personally I never see if it really works since I have sufficient amount of ram, but microsoft says that it works.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:26:35 AM »
      Please disregard the advice in the above post

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:15:54 AM »
      Win7 uses all available RAM so I see nothing wrong.

I agree.