Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI video card  (Read 5891 times)

thesmashest

PCI video card
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi,

I have the following specifications for my machine:

Dell Desktop
Pentium III
1GHz processor
256MB RAM
Win 2000
Intel chip (built in video card)
Samsung SyncMaster 955df
No AGP slot

I want to buy a new video card for gaming, becuase the built-in card is old and doesn't work well with new games.
I was looking to buy the following PCI video card, but I need a second opinion.
1)Is that a good soultion for my problem?
2)Is it a good card?
3)Any other recommendations/comments ?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=84766&Sku=D10-2005&CatId=319

Thanks

Joleen

Re: PCI video card
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 12:36:22 PM »
I'd say that's a great price for a nice card.  ATI is the best imo.  I don't think you'll be disappointed and TigerDirect is a good company to order from as well.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 01:42:06 PM »
1) Depends on what games you are (thinking of) playing.

2) I have previously owned an ATI/Radeon 9000Pro and I must say I was very pleased with it. However, Max Payne 2 is about the best it could do Donot expect the Core and/or Memory cycles to be much higher. Do keep in mind that I do have an AGP port avaible

3) Not unless you plan on buying an entirely new mainboard with an AGP slot. Or unless you can find a better PCI card. However, if you inform us of the games you intend to play we may be able to better assist you.

I find the price to be quite expensive, to be honest, 9200SE cards are avaible at 40 euros and less. (Approximately 50 dollars) Perhaps it is because it is a PCI edition, I donot know. So far I have only seen AGP cards.

thesmashest

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 01:47:12 PM »
I am planning to play the following games:

-Doom III (when it's released)
-Medal of Honor
-Half life 2 (when it's released)
-Postal 2 (I downloaded the demo, the graphic looked awful on my current intel video card)

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 02:46:07 AM »
I have played Postal 2 (Full version/demo) on my ATI/Radeon 9000Pro (Apart from Half-life 2 and Doom 3, which would in no way going to run properly) and that ran quite well. However, I also ran Medal of Honour (I donot know which one you are planning on playing) and that ran horrible. I donot recall which one it was.

I donot think that 9200SE will offer you a greater boost in power. As I said, the Core and RAM speeds shall not differ much.

I recently bought an ATI/Radeon 9800Pro and I must say that I am very satisfied with it and it has the power I need to play the latest games. However, I know very little about PCI cards. Only that AGP is twice as fast (Correct me if I am wrong) as PCI.

My conclusion for you would be: Either try the 9200SE card and most likely be heavily dissapointed when you buy a game such as Doom III and Half-life 2 or look into buying a more powerful card.

thesmashest

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 10:09:55 AM »
Thanks all,

I decided to buy an new mother board that supports pentium III and HAS an AGP slot. In addition I am going to spend some money on a good AGP video card.
The whole thing will cost me about:
$70(mother board) + $140 (video card) = $210

please respond with any comments....

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 10:17:53 AM »
You may require a new CPU with the mainboard. Unless your old CPU is compatible with it, ofcourse.

What videocard are you planning on buying now?

Joleen

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 10:52:01 AM »
ATI X800?
mmMMmm

thesmashest

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 11:52:19 AM »
Since my brother is not a gamer, I managed to get his machine :-)

Dell Dimension 4300 Desktop
Intel Pentium 4
1.7 GHz Processor
128MB RAM (I will be adding more)
AGP Slot (current video card is 16 MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra)

I am guessing if I add a new Video card, this would be good enough for new games.

waiting for reply/comments...

Joleen

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 12:33:11 PM »
If you get a new card it will be better but the new ATIs draw power direct from the psu so you'll have to make sure you have an adequate psu.  You'll want to upgrade the ram as you mentioned.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 01:52:26 PM »
The CPU does not seem to powerful either, you may want to look into upgrading it if you have money left after upgrading the more vital components.

And yes, as Joleen said, it is very important to have an adequate PSU. I am experiencing first hand what will happen without one..