Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer Reviews  (Read 10336 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Printer Reviews
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »
Does anyone know of a good website for printer reviews? Specifically I'm looking for ink usage, cartridge price and styles, basically what it's like to live with. The last thing I want to do is spend the money on a printer and accidently buy an Epson (Epson owners will know what I mean buy that comment).

Before anyone posts a Google search of "printer review", I know how to do that. I'm looking for recommended places to go, people you think are right.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Printer Reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
The internet is full of reports about ink costs.  At one lime  it was said that lasers printers were the best choice for high volume printing. But the initial cost of a laser is still too much for most of us home users. Personally, I have given up after I be owner of three or four laser printers.

Inkjet printers are now as cheap as the could ever be. But the cost of ink is an issue. The standard cartridges are overprices and are not full of ink.Using refills costs the cost down, but is a hassle when you get  some bad  refiles.Your run the rest of doing harm to the printer.

Here is recent report about popular printers.
http://www.inkfarm.com/Best-Printers-for-Saving-Ink--2011
I think the report is fair. And it is no surprise that Kodak gets special attention.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »
I can buy a mono (black) laser for around $60 US. I got one four and a half years ago and I am still on the original toner cartridge. A color one Dell 1250c (new) would cost me as little as 89.95 UK pounds with two sets of toner cartridges. That is around 146 US dollars.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »
    Rather than try to give you the link you seek for a review that MIGHT meet your stated criteria i will relate to our personal experience in this household over about a 25 year period. We have and do own both laser (Samsung coloured) and HP/Epson/Canon inkjets. Factors of what is "best" has a lot to do with what the intended use is.Also how you intend to replace ink in cartridges (we would NOT consider purchasing an inkjet that we could NOT refill the cartridges ourselves) (i mean us not some other entity). Contrary to your alleged aversion to Epson that company's inkjet printers would be our 1st choice. They have some draw backs in the user refill ability but so far we have always found ways around their attempts to prevent that ability. They also tend to be at the forefront of speed if that is a concern. Our experience has been worst with most but not all Canons. HP's have performed adequately but nothing i would rave about. As our only experience to date in the Laser printer is the Samsung. We do a fair bit of printing and within 2 years needed to replace the toner cartridges (very expensive). We found at the time the cartriges needed replacing we actually could have bought a brand new same model (with cartridges included) cheaper than the combined cost of the cartridges.Which unfortunately we only discovered after the cartridges had been replaced.From monitoring the downward trend in inkjet printers i observe that is often the case with inkjets as well (particularly if you only have access to manufacturer or even often OEM cartridges). Were i in your shoes i would look for the least expensive printer i could find unless there were quality criteria/speed that that type of printer does not meet for your intended use.truenorth

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »
    ==================================================================================
    Warning! Excessively long post containing ranting. You have been warned!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so far but I don't think that I have explained what I'm after in a printer. I'm not going out of my way to find the best printer. As long as it can print a letter that's good enough for me, that's why my current printer is 15 years old.

As for Epson... There are few companies that I hold at the level of distain that this company has earned. My first Epson printer was wonderful at first, printed photo quality pictures and fairly quickly for the time. Then it ran out of colour ink, and when I say colour ink I don't mean the cartridge was empty, I mean that the yellow ran out. Now fair enough that a printer can't print in colour because it only has 2 of 3 colours, but this wasn't the case. No, the printer refused to print anything until the cartridge was replaced. Even if the settings were changed to monochrome. So after many failed attempts to print in just black I decided to replace the cartridge... £60. The printer itself only cost £80 if memory serves.

Obviously I refused to pay this and searched for cheaper alternatives. I came across an ink refill kit for a fraction of the price. After staining my hands rainbow colours I managed to inject new ink into my old cartridge. I replaced the cartridge only to find that Epson had started using electronic chips to prevent people from doing just this. Rather than let this deter me from reclaiming the use of my printer I went down to cartridge world (a printer ink refill company) and asked for a refilled colour ink cartridge for my model of printer. Triumphantly I slotted in the new cartridge into the printer and proceeded to print the test page... It rejected the cartridge. Now I suppose that I could have gone back to cartridge world but at this point I has lost the will as I had now spent at least half of what Epson was charging me for their ink and gotten nowhere.

The printer in this story was then packaged up and stored away for 3-4 years before just being dumped as a waste of space, unused and virtually brand new. I should probably add now that the printer was a birthday present for my 14th. Now this was a long time ago and I might believe that times have changed but fortunately my place of work invested in Epson printers recently. A few weeks ago one of the printers stopped working, claiming that the ink had run out, I took out the cartridge and gave it a shake. Full of ink, still heavy being new. I tried the rejected cartridge in the other printers. Non would accept it. So I through it in the bin... (the ink cartridge that is not the printer, although the temptation was there) Nothing has changed.

And that is why I hate Epson. Any Questions?

Sorry that was a bit of rant but my point is that I never want another printer like this. That printer is probably the reason why haven't updated to something new.
    ==================================================================================

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
      Accessless,I was not intimidated by your warning and dove right in to your reply.You will note in my original reply i did make reference to the detracting issue with Epson re refilling cartridges. However while they continued to make more sophisticated mouse traps i just became a smarter more resourceful mouse. There has yet to be an Epson that we have been unable to overcome their deterrents at self refilling of cartridges. I have posted many times on this forum alternatives to mfg.or OEM cartridges through user means (including overcoming chip issues). I have offered a supplier of all materials that enable one to do the task themselves (U.S. based). Yes the rainbow coloured digits can be a part (particularly initially) of self refilling.Yes refilling a chip controlled cartridge will NOT make it serviceable unless the chip is reset (or replaced with a cartridge that does not contain a chip that needs resetting--which for many printers are available).I found both pathos and humor in your last post and can definitely relate to your current state of mind on this issue.How ever given your more defined intended use it causes me to reiterate my earlier suggestion=buy the cheapest printer you can find . I don't know your geography but we recently purchased a Canon on-line delivered to a nearby store from Walmart for under $30.00. I don't intend to establish or encourage a long term bond between myself and that printer so whatever evolves evolves. Yesterday i picked up an HP model 6500 wireless all in one (primarily for the high resolution scanner) for $12.00 at a local church bargain centre where the new cost was in excess of $400.00. It had been discarded (almost unused) because the original owner could not figure out how to remove the cartridges). Your success with a printer will be in large part (particularly in the ongoing cost arena )  greatly influenced by how much you undertake to do yourself along with the gaining of the knowledge and ability to do so.
      Maybe i should have precluded this reply with a similar warning as you did. ;D truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »
      If this is going to be an anti-Epson rant, let's have some factual information.

First of all, Epson was way ahead of the others in inkjet innovations.

Second, the wrath of consumers against Epson has already been expressed year ago. Here is a partial quote.
      Epson Faces Consumer Suits
      By Tom Spring, PCWorld     Oct 24, 2003

Editors' note: Epson America has responded with additional comments on this article.

Consumers fed up with the high cost of ink jet cartridges are taking Epson America to court, accusing it of manipulating equipment in order to sell more ink. A lawsuit filed Friday in District Court in Texas claims some models of Epson ink jet cartridges prematurely block Epson printers from functioning even though "substantial ink" remains in the cartridge.

The suit, filed in Jefferson County, is the third such suit involving the same law firm. Like the others, it seeks class action status and asks a judge to order Epson to notify customers that replacement cartridges may still be usable even when Epson's equipment says they're spent, and to compensate customers who discard the usable cartridges.

Harnes Keller LLP of New York, together with local counsel, filed similar claims in a San Mateo, California, Superior Court on Monday, and also at Kings County, New York, Supreme Court in August. Neither case has gone to trial.

An Epson spokesperson declines to comment on any of the lawsuits, beyond calling the initial New York lawsuit "unfounded."
      .http://www.pcworld.com/article/113112/article.html

XtrGamer

Beginner
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:26:29 AM »
        If you are looking for a good printer, you have a review right here. I use the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2060 which uses really cheap and long-lasting ink cartridges plus it can scan, print and xerox all in one.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:36:16 PM »
        Accessless,I was not intimidated by your warning and dove right in to your reply.You will note in my original reply i did make reference to the detracting issue with Epson re refilling cartridges. However while they continued to make more sophisticated mouse traps i just became a smarter more resourceful mouse. There has yet to be an Epson that we have been unable to overcome their deterrents at self refilling of cartridges. I have posted many times on this forum alternatives to mfg.or OEM cartridges through user means (including overcoming chip issues). I have offered a supplier of all materials that enable one to do the task themselves (U.S. based). Yes the rainbow coloured digits can be a part (particularly initially) of self refilling.Yes refilling a chip controlled cartridge will NOT make it serviceable unless the chip is reset (or replaced with a cartridge that does not contain a chip that needs resetting--which for many printers are available).I found both pathos and humor in your last post and can definitely relate to your current state of mind on this issue.How ever given your more defined intended use it causes me to reiterate my earlier suggestion=buy the cheapest printer you can find . I don't know your geography but we recently purchased a Canon on-line delivered to a nearby store from Walmart for under $30.00. I don't intend to establish or encourage a long term bond between myself and that printer so whatever evolves evolves. Yesterday i picked up an HP model 6500 wireless all in one (primarily for the high resolution scanner) for $12.00 at a local church bargain centre where the new cost was in excess of $400.00. It had been discarded (almost unused) because the original owner could not figure out how to remove the cartridges). Your success with a printer will be in large part (particularly in the ongoing cost arena )  greatly influenced by how much you undertake to do yourself along with the gaining of the knowledge and ability to do so.
        Maybe i should have precluded this reply with a similar warning as you did. ;D truenorth

It has to be argued though that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to refill your printer. I would probably have little to no problem sorting it out nowadays but that's not the point. A printer shouldn't be a hassle to live with. I prefer my own way to outsmart Epson, stop buying their products. So far I've had trouble free printing :p

As for the cheap as possible printer option, I've had "cheap" printers before and... well let's just say they weren't worth the small amount of money that I did pay for them.

If this is going to be an anti-Epson rant, let's have some factual information.

First of all, Epson was way ahead of the others in inkjet innovations.

Second, the wrath of consumers against Epson has already been expressed year ago. Here is a partial quote..http://www.pcworld.com/article/113112/article.html

Thanks for the facts, soon we'll expose their extortion. Also the HP Officejet Pro 8000 looked awesome. Unfortunately I live in the UK and it appears to be twice the price as it is in the US. Unfortunately most products seem to be like that, see the US price convert the currency, nice price. Check the local shops... Twice the price.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:02:31 PM »
        ... Unfortunately I live in the UK and it appears to be twice the price as it is in the US. Unfortunately most products seem to be like that, see the US price convert the currency, nice price. Check the local shops... Twice the price.
        Please look at eBay UK for HP printers with reasonable prices.
        http://popular.ebay.co.uk/computing/hp-printer.htm

The HP 6550 printer does work well with cheap rebuilt ink cartridges. Of course, the printer  keeps nagging you for a real HP cartridge, but works anyway.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:50 AM »
        Please look at eBay UK for HP printers with reasonable prices.
        http://popular.ebay.co.uk/computing/hp-printer.htm

The HP 6550 printer does work well with cheap rebuilt ink cartridges. Of course, the printer  keeps nagging you for a real HP cartridge, but works anyway.

Good god! A recommendation of ebay from computer hope, Sacrilege! Burn the heretic!

I see alot of websites recommending certain printers but no critical analisis, are there no websites containing reviews of lots of printers, good and bad? If not there may be an opportunity here.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
        A recommendation from someone here doesn't neccessarily represent the views of ComputerHope...

I for one wouldn't buy a bowling ball from eBay.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
        From Patio
        I for one wouldn't buy a bowling ball from eBay.
        That may be quote of the month.
        As for bad recommendations, some here  may agree Lexmark fills that spot.
        Lexmark Exits Printer Business, Fires 1,700 Workers
        Posted: August 28, 201
        Lexmark is no longer participating in the consumer inkjet printer business, and its exit has resulted in the loss of 1,700 jobs. The company decided to exit the business in order to refocus its efforts in an attempt to improve profitability at the hardware manufacturer.
        Lexmark announcing its plans to exit the consumer hardware business will instead focus on enterprise options, which PC World says includes:
            “Higher-margin products like multifunction printers, managed print services, and software.”
        Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/314958/lexmark-exits-printer-business-fires-1700-workers/#kuUM2RKLCAYEWg1W.99

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »
          I had thought that i had contributed all i could to your quest for whatever assistance you are seeking until i noted this "It has to be argued though that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to refill your printer." When one decides to create and market any device they have unfettered ability of choice as to how the product interacts with would be users. Sometimes great care is taken to make it as simple as possible (perhaps thereby limiting functionality) or as complex (thereby potentially lessening the pool of prospective buyers). Initially automobiles were so that anyone with a modicum of knowledge and ability could with a minimum of tools do just about anything themselves. Now for all but the most advanced in both knowledge and tools that is out of the question. The same is true of many consumer products. Some of this is consumer driven by demands for more and more sophistication and functionality. Some is driven by industry in their attempts to be innovative and capture more market share.A pencil is capable with very limited maintenance and knowledge to do what a printer will do but it doesn't take a vivid imagination to realize a printer is so much more efficient in many ways but given the immense variables that can be included in the sophistication of the printer over the pencil to use your analogy some "jumping through hoops" may be required to retain greater user control (particularly of costs).truenorth 

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
          I predict a 3 page Post...til a printer is purchased...
          Just sayin.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »
             ;D Very well could be. I shall endeavor to remain unprovoked in the future so as to lessen that likelihood,truenorth
            P.S. Darn this post has just advanced the thread to page 2 :'(

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
            Nonsense...
            I wasn't attempting to discourage your informative posts or suggestions.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »
            Just sayin.
            Ttruenorth has made a point. It is no longer true that you have to "jump through hoops" to get cheap refills. Even Staples and other brick and mortar stores sell refills at about half the price. The install the same the OEM does.
            On and earlier post I mentioned Kodak. If low-cost inkjet performance is the criteria, one must consider the Kodak line of inkjet printers.
            Money Saving Printer Kodak C310
            Kodak C310 At the lower price range lies the Kodak 30 line of printers. These have been promoted as one of the most efficient printers on the market and for their price range they absolutely are. With new cartridges as low as $10 apiece and being priced around $80, these all-in-one printer/scanner/copiers make great options for moderate home use. Comparable models from manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Canon or Lexmark in similar price ranges will cost you an extra 30-40% more per page. Outside of just efficiency, Kodak 's line of printers have received excellent reviews for their outstanding color and photo quality. The Kodak all-in-ones are also fairly inexpensive at under $130 and have more features than many other similarly priced printers.
            The link below takes you to Amazon. They claim 184 people have given personal reviews on one particular Kodak model that is selling for about $150. Which is even below the price for the similar HP printer I have. Of course, the prices are down now because we are over the buying season.
            Has the OP ruled out Kodak?
            http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-ESP-6150-All-in-One-Printer/dp/B00007AKDL
            « Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:38:32 AM by Geek-9pm »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »
              patio, Of course i knew you were NOT trying to stifle my input whatsoever. I simply was (somewhat tongue in cheek ) really acknowledging your observation as being likely (after all look where we are now page 2). As i said i had believed i really had nothing more value added to say in this thread until i felt the O/P was not properly appreciating where society is in terms of marketing and product production  today. One can adapt and modify or not that is a personal choice. Both approaches have consequences (desired or not). Where alternatives exist they can be tried but often result in compromises. IE. use pencils to eliminate the interaction and frustration of using printers.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
              Just sayin.

I'm hitting "Unnotify"

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
                • Yes
              « Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
              Just sayin.

I'm hitting "Unnotify"

Just think. I only wanted a decent printer review website... You know, to reference any printers that I come across with.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »
              Dear OP. There is still a lot of ground to cover. Please narrow down the criteria.
              The little info you gave on first post was to the effect that you don't want Epson. That still leaves of wide range of choices.
              In general, the more popular printers are the better choice because of market economics. T
              There a re lots of reviews out there about popular printers.
              Just one of so many...
              http://reviews.cnet.com/best-printers/
              You did not clarify what kind of printing you do. If you print over 2,000 pages per month, you can get a printer for free. Are you interested? If so, I have a deal for you., And no, I do not get a kick back. Just doing a public service. There is more happiness in giving.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
                • Yes
              « Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 05:41:07 AM »
              Dear OP. There is still a lot of ground to cover. Please narrow down the criteria.
              The little info you gave on first post was to the effect that you don't want Epson. That still leaves of wide range of choices.
              In general, the more popular printers are the better choice because of market economics. T
              There a re lots of reviews out there about popular printers.
              Just one of so many...
              http://reviews.cnet.com/best-printers/
              You did not clarify what kind of printing you do. If you print over 2,000 pages per month, you can get a printer for free. Are you interested? If so, I have a deal for you., And no, I do not get a kick back. Just doing a public service. There is more happiness in giving.

That's all I was after (your web link). Thanks for the assist.

For some bizarre reason people seem to think that I'm looking for a printer recommendation. I just wanted a review reference source for any printers that I might come across.
              I shall put this in large letters so that everyone will get the point:

I do not want you to recommend a printer to me.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here but my goal seems to be causing confusion. The big red blue lettering is just to attract attention to this point.

For example: Let's say that I find a printer on sale for cheap. I could then look up the printer on a review website and I may find out that it's a wonderful deal, or I may find out that the ink costs twice the price of the printer and not such a good deal after all.

I just want pre-emptive notification of if I'm about to buy a lemon.

Sorry for the long delay in my reply, I'm often kept busy with other more pressing tasks, (hence why it takes forever for me to get anything done).

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 05:50:06 AM »
              What I generally do is find a couple of items that seem to fit my criteria and then Google the difference (ie, Canon XXXX vs HP XXXX). You'll then find multiple reviews and comparisons that are directly on point.