Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen of Death  (Read 3444 times)

zoomz_99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Black screen of Death
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
Hello all,

I am writing since when attempting to play COD: Black Ops or Rainbow Six: Ravenshield I get a black screen.  Now with Ravenshield I get the black screen BUT can HEAR the music playing in the background, with Black Ops I only get the black screen.  When I also attempt to run the games it gives me an error saying the game stopped unexpectedly and do I wish to start in safemode. I try to start in safemode but get a black screen and then it minimizes and all I see is my background.  The computer doesn't shut down nor does the monitor.  I just bought a new GPU Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti, back in NOV2012, running it 1680x1050 (32 bit) 59Hz.  Running Windows 7 with an i5 760 @ 2.80 quad with 8 gb ram and two 500GB HD.  I also have a 650 PSU.  With my HD i run my OS on one and my games on the other. I have also uninstalled my games that I normally play and reinstalled them, with zero results.  I have gone to the manufactures website and downloaded any kind of updates to my GPU and PC.  I do not run a current IE due to work related issues and security measures.  I have also tried to run a benchmark with 3DMark but was unable to run it and it just froze up.  I built this computer back in Apr 2011 and was proud since it started right up and was going smooth.  Hoping that someone has a solution to this or else I just might have to go computerless for awhile if I have to take this into the shop. Thanks

zoomz_99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
Re: Black screen of Death
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
Also as an update, I have contacted Asus about the GPU and they are further looking into it.  I do not know what the problem is and I hope it is not something with the mobo.  I am thinking it might be an update that happened and had a bad component with it.  This problem has been happening since a little over a month ago.  I have been playing COD and ravenshield with zero problems and then I get the error message stating the program stopped unexpectedly and that I should start in safemode.  I go into task manager and it says the program is running. I click on it , it pops up, then goes black, then turns back onto my desktop.  I then go to my task manager click on the icon and end that process.  It takes a while but finally ends.  Thanks again

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »
What brand PSU are we talkin about here ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zoomz_99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
PSU is an ANTEC 650.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
If that card is OC'ed revert back to stock settings...if still no change my 1st suspect would be a dodgy card.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zoomz_99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
The GPU has not been overclocked, since I do not have the knowledge or experience in that.  I have kept it at the default settings and have not changed a single thing on it.