Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: {Help Request} - Can't get past login scree  (Read 11238 times)

Chammiez

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    {Help Request} - Can't get past login scree
    « on: January 03, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
    Hi I'm having trouble getting past my login screen..

First of all, I installed AVG 2013 internet security. while setting that up, it kkept popping up with 'Threat Detected' coming from C:/users/cham/%appdata%/roaming/microsoft/windows_update.exe

I kept clicking ignore,thinking that it is not a virus.. then I restarted my laptop..

To which after the login screen I got a error message: "cannot find location c:/users/cham/%appdata%/roaming/microsoft/windows_update.exe"

So that was obvious that avg still managed to delete it..

I managed to find the windows 8 recovery window from boot.. and tried a system restore.

After that I got a new error after the login screen:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116864120569424637334/ComputerError?authkey=Gv1sRgCN6nncHri8i83QE#5829471680279011698

If I click continue / Quit.. it just shows a black screen and wont change no matter how long I leave it

I tried to run in safe mode.. and it gave the same error message, with the same reactions to the continue and quit buttons.

I tried a system refresh - but that just ends up saying "there was a problem refreshing your pc. No changes were made.

I have no other system restore dates to go back to, only the one..

Tried Automatic Repair and it just said it cannot repair windows.

I don't know what else to do, if possible I want to be able to repair this without loosing everything. :|

Please help :)

Thank you in advance.

Edit: The laptop is a Toshiba Satelelite L450D, Running windows 8 pro x64

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: {Help Request} - Can't get past login scree
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:09:00 AM »
    Tried Automatic Repair and it just said it cannot repair windows.

Do you have the Windows 8 Installation Disc or System Recovery Media. You can boot off Windows 8 disc and perform repair installation -or- if you have System Recovery Media CD's or DVD's or Thumb Drive with restore image on it you can boot off of this and perform Repair Recovery Installation saving all your data from being deleted. Both of these methods would fix windows issues.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »
    The info tells me that a Windows Update was at some point in time interrupted...
    Look at the list of updates in safe mode and re-do say the last 3 or 4 of them...disable AVG until this is finished.
    When you re-boot login and all other functions should be back to normal...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TechnoGeek

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:28:43 AM »
    First of all, I installed AVG 2013 internet security. while setting that up, it kkept popping up with 'Threat Detected' coming from C:/users/cham/%appdata%/roaming/microsoft/windows_update.exe

That's almost certainly a virus or something else malicious. The legitimate Windows Update would NEVER be in that location.
    I agree with DaveLembke on this. Repair Install would be the fastest way to fix this if you can backup your data.