Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Brightness issues after bootup  (Read 11960 times)

gazman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Brightness issues after bootup
    « on: January 04, 2013, 07:47:38 AM »
    Hi, not sure if this is correct section, but here goes.

I have a new pc (maybe 2 months old)

This morning i booted the pc up. All went fine, then i saw desktop bootup for about 2 seconds before the screen went blank.  I rebooted a few times. Each time i see the desktop for a second or so before it goes black.
    One thing i noticed after a while. The screen doesn`t actually go black, but in-fact, very very Dark. If i focus really hard i can just about make out my desktop in the background. Not enough to read anything, or control my cursor, but i can definatley make out icons, also when i right click my mouse i can see a faint "square"  where the option window will have opened from right clicking my mouse.

I`m presuming its a graphics issue, but i`m not certain. Any ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Brightness issues after bootup
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
    1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) What happens when you boot to safe mode?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »
    Each time i see the desktop for a second or so before it goes black.
    One thing i noticed after a while. The screen doesn`t actually go black, but in-fact, very very Dark. If i focus really hard i can just about make out my desktop in the background. Not enough to read anything, or control my cursor, but i can definatley make out icons, also when i right click my mouse i can see a faint "square"  where the option window will have opened from right clicking my mouse.

This sounds very much like an LCD monitor backlight issue. You have in fact described the process for checking for this. If you shine a strong lamp or a flashlight on the screen and you can see the desktop then I would very strongly suspect this. If you can connect another monitor and it works then that would be proof.

gazman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:31 AM »
      Ok. Allan.

Nothing at all is new. I shut it down last night after browsing the web "bbc sport" to be exact.

I`ve tried to boot into bios and safe mode, each time after 1 second or so the screen goes Dark.

Salmon. Yes, i too am beginning to think it`s a monitor issue. If i turn my monitor off and on, each time i will see my desktop for a second before it goes dark.

I`ll grab a monitor from somewhere and plug it in to see. If it is a case of a dodgy backlight, is that a new monitor? or is it repairable?

Thanks for the speedy responses.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:35:32 AM »
      Yes, if it happens in safe mode I completely agree with Salmon Trout

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
      If it is a case of a dodgy backlight, is that a new monitor? or is it repairable?

Monitor backlights can be replaced, but if the monitor is old and/or small screen size then the cost can exceed the value of the monitor and even approach pr equal the cost of a new one. Especially if you lack the skill to replace it yourself and would need to take it to a repair shop. You must do some research.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
      You should be aware that the problem may not be the actual lamp but possibly associated electronic circuitry, and without proper test equipment and expertise you could easily buy the wrong things and waste money that could be put towards a new monitor or a working used one. LCD monitors have got a lot cheaper recently.