Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want to be able to have workgroups access the internet when server is off  (Read 12280 times)

kindz05

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have a server running windows 2000.  We have 10 computers connected to the domain.  We used to use the server to share files and hold some backup files.  We do not need to be connected anymore.  Basically, I want to do away with the Dinosaur aged server and just have each computer run independently, perhaps share a few folders.  I have done some tests with unplugging the servers internet connection to see how the computers would react.  Everything works the way I want it to (able to share folders) but the work computers lose internet.  How do I set up the computers so they can interdependently access the internet without going through the server?  We have a router switch.  Thank you in advance!

John

richnrockville

Greenhorn

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      First, are your computers connected to the server as a domain?
      Also, what version of Operating System are they all using?

If so, then each has to be unjoined from the domain and pick up their IP via DHCP from the router.

The best way is to make sure that all are on the same workgroup.  Set them all to something like home or office instead
      of workgroup.

Then each has to have share setup for a directory and then permissions to access have to be given.

If your router is giving out IP's via dhcp and the gateway is setup properly then each should be able to access the internet
      without any problem.

Rich
      Learn <-> Teach
      or it is all wasted

kindz05

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks Rich.  Yes, we are connected via a domain.  We are all on XP Professional but the server is 2000.  If I unjoin the domain will my computer automatically pick up the IP via DHCP from the router when I join a workgroup, or is this something you have to manually point your computer to?  Also, is there a way to unjoin a domain and keep all of the settings (outlook, programs, logon info, documents, ect) the same?  Thank you very much for the help.

John

richnrockville

Greenhorn

• Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          Thanks Rich.  Yes, we are connected via a domain.  We are all on XP Professional but the server is 2000.  If I unjoin the domain will my computer automatically pick up the IP via DHCP from the router when I join a workgroup, or is this something you have to manually point your computer to?  Also, is there a way to unjoin a domain and keep all of the settings (outlook, programs, logon info, documents, ect) the same?  Thank you very much for the help.

John

John, if the existing router set up to issue IP's then unjoining from the domain will work. BUT if your server is running DHCP and DNS, then your going to have serious problems.
          If your domain is running Exchange, then your outlook will not work.
          Additionally, I would be leary of unjoining from the domain as your documents will not be available to you as a non-domain user.

are you the administrator for the windows 2000 domain?

Rich
          Learn <-> Teach
          or it is all wasted

kindz05

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Rich- Although not too experienced  :) I am the administrator.  Is it easy enough for me to sit at the server and find out whether we are running DHCP and DNS?  I am worried that our server is soooo old that it is not going to make it very much longer.  I am concerned I will show up to work one day and it will have crashed overnight.  Like I mentioned in previous posts, we do not need the server any longer.  I just want to set up some simple sharing via a workgroup.  Any suggestions moving forward?  Would I have any options if the server crashed?  Thank you for all the help!

John