Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downgrading to Windows 2000 on a Netbook  (Read 25037 times)

corlenbelspar

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Fifth Independent
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Downgrading to Windows 2000 on a Netbook
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
I have Windows XP on this netbook I purchased a few years ago.  Do you think I could get a performance boost if I downgraded from XP to 2000?  I wouldn't bother with going through the trouble normally, but it's the only computing device I have to use currently.  What problems would I run into in the process of doing this?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Downgrading to Windows 2000 on a Netbook
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:06 AM »
Good morning corlenbelspar

Well in my opinion I would not do this for a couple of reasons. But like I said this is my opinion 8)

Windows 2000 "As support for Windows 2000 ends on 13 July, 2010" so the only updates you will get will be before 7/2010.
W2K was fairly fast but could be temperamental with drivers. I don't know where you will find drivers for a NETBOOK which ever netbook you have. I would stay with XP. There is a really good possibility it will run worse with W2K than XP.

Windows XP "Even though we ended the sale of Windows XP on October 22, 2010, we still plan to provide support for individual users and businesses until April 2014" just for the updates alone I would not downgrade to W2K

Both OS's were built on the same NT kernel but XP drivers do not always work on W2K.

You cant not install newer versions of IE on W2K, most software will be written for XP and not W2K. A lot of companies do not offer support for any OS before XP.

Don't get me wrong when W2K was out and running it was fairly stable, quick, clean looking etc. Well hope this helps you on your decision, Mike       
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »
I have Windows XP on this netbook I purchased a few years ago.  Do you think I could get a performance boost if I downgraded from XP to 2000?  I wouldn't bother with going through the trouble normally, but it's the only computing device I have to use currently.  What problems would I run into in the process of doing this?

What have you done so far to try to speed up the XP installation? Some things to try:

-reduce graphical effects (transluscent selection rectangle, fading menus, use the Classic theme, etc
-reduce running services. Many of the services that run by default are not necessary. Typically they won't impact performance but it can be worth trying to disable those you don't need. Disabling Luna themes can be particularly helpful since they can be relatively taxing on older Graphics cards or on older integrated chips (or, as some netbooks use, host-based processing).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

corlenbelspar

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Fifth Independent
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:35:46 AM »
I suppose you're right hartbeatmr.  I thought these things you mentioned would maybe be a problem but wanted to make sure there was anything else I didn't think of.

BC_Programmer, I disabled a bunch of processes that were unneeded as well as changing to the classic theme and reducing effects; I don't have much experience dealing with Windows services to know what is needed and what isn't, but I guess Google will be a good tool to use in that regard.

Thank you both for your replies.  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Visit BlackViper's site for a comprehensive list of services and what they do...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »
Will that netbook accommodate more RAM?  If so, adding more is what I'd do.  A visit to www.crucial.com is a way to find out whether your computer can support more RAM.

Agorima

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »

Yes, you get a performance boost of about 20%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v_6yLKFws

This is my video that shows my netbook working with Windows 2000. The only thing problematic is the hyper-threading, and only "Advanced Computer and Power Interface" can work on my Intel Atom N450, with all the subsequent problems of warming the netbook if you don't apply a patch provided long time ago by Microsoft.
    If you have a processor without Hyper-threading, Windows 2000 can install and run flawlessly if you set IDE mode in the Bios and you start the installation of Windows 2K from XP copying the files of Windows 2000 and substituting the 2K's Winnt32.exe with XP's Winnt32.exe.

P.S. There are some unofficial updates that help to keep your Windows 2000 updated and, with them, you can run some programs designed for XP.

Jazz555

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »
      I think It was wondering if I could downgrade to XP and how easy is it to do this? Also, do I need to buy a copy of XP, or can I just downgrade for free, seeing as I have alreayd bought the license for 7.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:31 AM »
      do I need to buy a copy of XP, or can I just downgrade for free, seeing as I have alreayd bought the license for 7.

You need a copy of XP on genuine Windows media and a product key not in use on any other machine. Also there may be issues around product levels (Starter, Home, Professional, etc). Finally you may find that if you have very recent hardware, the maker has not written or released XP drivers. There will be issues if you need SATA drivers for example.

Microsoft down grade rights page

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx