Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Input Signal Out of Range" Error when connecting to monitor via HDMI  (Read 6758 times)

HeroTwin

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the Computer Hope Forum,

I have turned to Computer Hope many times in the past to solve all manner of problems, and I have yet to encounter a technical issue which I couldn't solve using the knowledge which resides on this site. Until today, that is.

First, I will elaborate on the relevant aspects of my setup:

GFX Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 5650

GFX Card Drivers (According to Windows): 9.2.0.0

Monitor: HP 2309m

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Catalyst Control Center Version: 2012.0928.1532.26058

The precise nature of my problem is as follows. Recently after connecting my computer to TV at a friend's place (via HDMI), I came back home and plugged the computer into my HP 2309m monitor. I was greeted with a screen exactly like the images attached to this message. I have never had problems with this monitor before, so this came as quite a surprise.

In an attempt to fix this problem, I went into the advanced display settings and tried to adjust them to change the frequency and resolution. However the settings read exactly the HP2309m's native resolution and frequency (1920x1080 60 hz). In addition, I also used the 'Restore to Factory Settings' option on my monitor. But all of this was to no avail. The screen would display with that strange color pattern as shown in the attachments and eventually go to sleep.

When changing the resolution and frequency didn't help, I decided to re-install my video drivers. I did this by going to Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced settings -> Adapter -> Properties -> Driver -> Uninstall. I then reinstalled Catalyst Control Center with a fresh package from the AMD website. Yet when i restarted my computer and attempted to reconnect the monitor, the exact same problem appears.

At this point, I begin to suspect that I might be dealing with a hardware problem. I decide to test my screen first. I attach another computer to it via HDMI - it works flawlessly. I then attach the same computer to the same screen, except this time with VGA. It works flawlessly. I buy a new HDMI cable and connect the same computer to the same screen. However this does not work. The new cable makes the screen display a little color distortion but it goes blank almost immediately after connecting.

Now comes the tricky part: I go back to my friends place and attach the same computer to the same TV via HDMI: It works FLAWLESSLY. I then tried it with another TV HDMI and it too worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, i forgot to check if sound was also being transmitted to the

Here are a further few things which i have noticed:
    • Not only is there a problem transmitting video, sound too does not transmit.
    • Color distortion on the monitor appears as soon as the computer is booted - even before and during the Windows load screen.
    • Booting into Safe Mode doesn't help. The image is still distorted albeit slightly less than normal.

I know this post is quite long, but it's really necessary that I explain the problem thoroughly as it is a complicated issue. And as you can see, I have already worked quite hard at trying to fix the issue myself. The solution continues to elude me however. For this reason, I would greatly appreciate your comments, questions and advice.

My sincere thanks in advance.

Sebastian B.

--------------------------------------

The Images: