Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 404 not found. We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.  (Read 26524 times)

ralgonzo26

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi,

This is my first time here and my very first visit to Computerhope.com. Forgive me if this or a similar post has already been posted as I do not know what else to do. My visit today brings me here cause of an odd, strange error that I am getting over at Youtube.com. When I try to click on someone's youtube.com channel, I get the following error message: 404 not found. We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found. Try searching for something else. With that error message there is a big red sad face AND I can't sign in either to Youtube.com. This has happed with all the web browsers I use. My web browsers are Internet Explorer 9, Firefox(latest one) and Google Chrome. For the record, this error message only happens when I try to go to someone's Youtube.com channel. When I try to sign in, I get an error page saying: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page, Diagnose Connection Problems. I have access to the Internet just fine and I'm able to go visit other websites online. Everything that is happening, is just happening over at Youtube.com.

I have tried three Anti-virus, that are Kaspersky, Super Anti Spyware, and Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Kaspersky and Malwarebytes Anti Malware found no virus, but Super Anti Spyware did, and cleaned that up, but still the problem remains.

Could this be that the website Youtube.com is having some technical issues? Is it my PC? I don't believe that this is a issue youtube.com is having, because the other computer in the house and my cell phone access the site just fine with no problems to be found.

Be kind to this newbie here for I am seeking help and don't know where to turn to and I am not willing to pay for any kind of service at this particular point in time. I hope to hear from someone soon. Take care.

Ralgonzo

PS: To see exactly what my problem is, someone online at youtube.com has a video/screen shot of what I am going thru. Here is the link of where you can see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zeSg762iVmQ

Base2

Beginner
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: 404 not found. We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
      « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:16:13 AM »
      Hi there and welcome to ComputerHope,

The 404 error message is an HTTP (hypertext transportation protocol) message.  This means you can connect to the server, however the server is unable to locate the page you are looking for.  The big red face on the error is the way the YouTube have coded it to appear on screen.

As you have mentioned about multiple AV (anti-virus), just as a note, please don't have all of them running at the same time (ie.. at start up).  The reason for this is that having multiple running consecutively means this can cause confliction between them and it can actually help viruses to gain access to your PC.

Imagine you are guarding a door with someone else and you are arguing on the best way to do it.  While you are both arguing you both don't notice someone else walking past you and going through the door.  This is just a simple analogy to help you understand the importance of only running one at a time.

If you have all of them installed you can disable all of them on startup; by using msconfig.  Msconfig is a Microsoft configuration tool.  Be careful in there if you have no experience of this tool before.

By following the instructions below it means you can use one AV for scanning then exit out of it and use another from the start bar -> all programs and then whatever AV you want to use; with no conflictions.

The way to access and use msconfig:

(Note - You can Google all entries that are listed here to make sure you are disabling the right ones.  If there is anything under the manufacturing column stating that is is "unknow"... Google it; as it may be a virus. If it is then follow the same steps below to disable it from running on startup)

To access msconfig click the start button then type msconfig (Note - click the run option.. if using XP).  This will bring up a dialog box.  The name of the box should say System Configuration, and will appear in the top left hand corner of the box.  You will see a number of tabs.  Only go to the one that says "Startup".  You can look at the others but please don't touch them as you could do serious damage if you don't know how to use them properly.

When you are on the Startup tab you will see a list of programs that start when your OS (operating system) starts up.  You will see a tick in the boxes on the left for programs that start when the OS starts up.  Look for all of your AV's and disable them by clicking on the tick to make the tick disappear (Note - THIS WON'T UNINSTALL THEM; so don't worry.  Doing This will also speed up your computer :) ).

Keep one of them running on startup (your preference as to which one starts on startup).

After doing all this you will be asked to restart your computer; so make sure you save all your work if you have anything opened then close them and restart the computer.

Once the computer restarts another dialog box will appear.  In the top left of the box the name of it will read "System Configuration Utility".  Click the box that says "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start:" then click on the "OK" button.  You are now finished with that process.

Run a scan with your AV and see if anything comes up.

I hope this helps you out.  If anything it gives you a little more technical info on how to configure your startup process... and might also help protect against viruses.  Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Base2 :)

Base2

Beginner
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »
        Hi again,

Here is a link for you about the 404 error message as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404

Rgds,
        B2 :)

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:29 AM »

I have tried three Anti-virus, that are Kaspersky, Super Anti Spyware, and Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Kaspersky and Malwarebytes Anti Malware found no virus, but Super Anti Spyware did, and cleaned that up, but still the problem remains.

As you have mentioned about multiple AV (anti-virus), just as a note, please don't have all of them running at the same time (ie.. at start up).  The reason for this is that having multiple running consecutively means this can cause confliction between them and it can actually help viruses to gain access to your PC.

Just to be clear. Although the above post is correct about 'conflicts between multiple AV's', Super anti-spyware and Malwarebytes are NOT Anti-virus products and you DO NOT need to uninstall them. They are perfectly fine but Malwarebyte and Super Anti-spyware do not need to be running. They can be used when needed.
        11 cheers for binary !