Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failed Update  (Read 13987 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Failed Update
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »
Windows update (KB2771431x64) failed to install properly. Error code 80246007
Out of the list of Windows Updates KB2771431 is the only file that doesn't give me the option to delete.
I downloaded the file and have attempted to re-install but I'm told that the file already exists. I've tried numerous suggestions from MS regarding this situation but so far nothing has worked. Anyone have any ideas? overthehill
System Locale: English (Canada)
Installed: 14/12/2012 2:55:23 PM       

System Model
Acer Aspire ME600
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor       
3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3350P
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded       

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Failed Update
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
Have you tried to restore to an earlier point. Some time before the update.
Here is a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsY_FnyJzdo
Please watch the bideo. Just ignore the dumb brainless ads.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
Have you tried to restore to an earlier point. Some time before the update.
Here is a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsY_FnyJzdo
Please watch the bideo. Just ignore the dumb brainless ads.

Thks,Geek. This update was installed (Dec16/2012) ,two days after I got the PC home. The restore points
that I have are dated later. overthehill

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »
Bummer!  >:(
Restore points take very little Hard Drive space.Next time don't destroy them. Windows will manage them for you.

This link might offer some ideas:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/windows-8-fails-to-update/7e0278a7-33e8-4db0-830e-2fb4ce299331

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Bummer!  >:(
Restore points take very little Hard Drive space.Next time don't destroy them. Windows will manage them for you.

This link might offer some ideas:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/windows-8-fails-to-update/7e0278a7-33e8-4db0-830e-2fb4ce299331

Thks,Geek. Here's the thing; I didn't destroy any restore points. I purchased the PC on Dec.14/12,set it up Dec.15 and stated loading on Dec.16. Dec.16 is the day that the file was downloaded and failed. A restore point was not made on that day. Another thing; I found the failed download when snooping through the PC in "View Update History". Had I not gone there I would not have known that it failed.
Also now when I go to "View Update History" I'm told that I have not installed any updates and the page is blank. The only way that I can find whether an update has failed is to go to "Installed Updates" and find the files that do not have the option to "Uninstall". Beside the failed file that I previously mentioned there are also 5 other files that I'm unable to uninstall. These files were installed before the date that I purchased the PC.

1)Microsoft Office -  installed  09/01/2013
(2,3,4 and 5)    Microsoft Windows - installed 11/10/2012

The way that I see this, the big problem is not so much Restore Points as it is the inability to remove and reinstall failed updates. Although it's not possible, even if I somehow would have had a Restore Point previous to 11/10/12 what's to say the that once these were reinstalled(if critical) they would not fail again? Then what? They recommend to have updates installed automatically but do not notify of failure and obviously there's no way to predict one. So from what I've been able to find it's either deny all updates or put up with some failures.

I'm even starting to wonder how important these failed updates are? I wonder how many kazillion PC's are out there with failed updates that people don't even know about?

Since running into this with Win8 I decided to check the updates on my other PC with Vista. Sure enough there's a few failed updates on that one too from long ago. Really wondering if it's worth the effort? overthehill

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:35 AM »
If it shows up in the update list it is installed. Some updates lack an Uninstall button because they simply cannot be uninstalled or because later updates require them.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »
If it shows up in the update list it is installed. Some updates lack an Uninstall button because they simply cannot be uninstalled or because later updates require them.

Thanks,BC_. I'll accept that and keep on computing.
I find it strange though that I'm no longer able to view "failed" or "successful" updates in "View Update History". overthehill