Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8 Downgrade issue  (Read 21836 times)

stefun999

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Look! Over there!
    • Experience: Beginner
    Windows 8 Downgrade issue
    « on: January 26, 2013, 11:21:11 PM »
    I bought an Asus K55 and wish to downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 with a windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disk. I went through the installation process, but upon reboot, I get a screen telling me that a driver was corrupted, or something of that manner. Upon attempting to install it again, I notice that on the first screen of Operating System installation, after choosing a custom install, and choosing the partition to install to, I notice that after choosing the proper partition, I get an error saying that the disk order installation is incorrect for the GPT. It also gives me error code 0x8003002 which I have not been able to find any relevant to online.

On the error screen that comes up when the computer restarts in the middle of windows 7 installation says:

A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damage, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Of you have a windows installation disc, insert the disc and restart your computer. Click Repair your Computer," and then choose recovery tool.

Otherwise, to start windows so you can investigate further, press the ENTER key to display the boot menu, press F8 for Advanced Boot Options, and select Last Known Good. If you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start windows without this file, temporarily disable driver signature enforcement.

File: \$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\system32\winload.efi

Info: The digital signature for this file couldn't be verified.

That's all the information I have for this issue that I know to be relevant. If you can help me, I thank you very much.
    If the world didn't suck we would all fall off.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 8 Downgrade issue
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:24:17 AM »
    Have you already done the research on this?
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=downgrade+windows+8&form=MOZSBR&pc=MOZI
    As y0u see, there is too much information about downgrade.

Can you indicate winch method you are using? Do you have an image of your system before you tried the downgrade? If so, you may have to restore and try again.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:52:56 AM »
    I wonder if a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disk is the right medium to use on a Windows 8 system?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:18 AM »
    Some netbooks lately are tied to their OS that it's sold with...i'd contact Acer.

The only info i could find on this is it will take Win7...but it needs to be the Ultimate ver.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stefun999

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Look! Over there!
      « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
      Please delete this as resolved.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:36:59 PM »
      Please, can you share what you did?  :)

stefun999

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Look! Over there!
        « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »
        I thought I did something, but it turns out that the problem I am having is with the computer using GPT instead of MBR. The
        File: \$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\system32\winload.efi
        Is on the Windows disk that I'm trying to install not working properly with the... something.
        And just now my friend tells me that UEFI won't allow me to install Windows 7.
        I don't like Windows 8
        I don't like Microsoft.

edit: figuring out something with the unsigned driver on the disk I'm using might do... something.
        I don't know how I would get the computer to recognize the driver as signed.
        I'm getting sick of  windows 8

Content removed.

Keep it clean...we have Members of all ages here.
        « Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:26:12 PM by patio »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
        And just now my friend tells me that UEFI won't allow me to install Windows 7.
        He is misinformed.

The problem could be that you are using a Windows 7 Upgrade Disk. Which is- as it's name suggests- for Upgrading to Windows 7. Jokes at Windows 8's expense aside, you can't upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Windows 7 can only be upgraded from Windows Vista.

The only way to install Windows 7 with that disk would be to First Install Windows Vista. Or, get a Win7 Retail Disc rather than the Upgrade disk. I'm not really sure how you got as far in the process as you did- perhaps there is something about the Win7 Upgrade process that I don't understand myself.

Ideally, when installing an older OS than one currently installed, You should be completely wiping the disk of all partitions that are present, rather than trying to install Windows 7 over top of Windows 8. Another thing to change is the BIOS setting. You can turn off UEFI and use the older EFI interface on every system I've seen- (I believe that providing the option to not use UEFI is part of the UEFI specification). This might be labelled "Legacy BIOS" or "Legacy Boot".
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.