Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Velocity Computer :( after Power outage  (Read 6867 times)

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Velocity Computer :( after Power outage
    « on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »
    This Velocity has an Intel DX58SO AA E29331-404 MB. APC protected it from a power outage this morn. but now I have problems after trying to start it this evening. Get 3 long beeps on start, then the comp. automatically shuts off and restarts. Hard Disks did fire up initially (I have restarted it about 6 times now with vid. cards out then in, keyboard unplugged then plugged) now they do not show a run light at all. Is this a PS issue or do I get out the shovel and start digging?
    wolfrunner

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Velocity Computer :( after Power outage
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »
    Power supply.

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »
      Geek-9PM,
      Thanks! But how about a recomendation on the PS or can't I go wrong?
      wolfrunner

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
      Borrow one of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there overnite...you'll know by morning.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:16:58 PM »
        So here is what I pulled, (see attached) no, the supply cords do not unplug. They just dissapear inside the beast. Guess I'll go to Microcenter and see if they have a power and cable match, right?

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
        wolfrunner

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
        What is the model number?
        If it is the low end model, it may not be worth the effort.  :'(

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »
          It's a Edge Gx440..bought on discount for 1,200 from Microcenter probably in 2008. It's a 550 Watt P.S.
          Unit has always has finicky sound issues and memory slot trouble as well, so maybe I'll toss it for the good that's out there now. Seems a buyer has to pay attention to the processor and M.B. components more than ever and I always felt that the RealTec Sound component on the MB had its issues. Sounded great, just couldn't "play well with others" and the options out were limited to the 5.1 speakers. So, any thoughts on a stable MB would be appreciated. (I am going to go with NAVIDIA for a Vid. Card this time).All I do is TV to the computer with my own Cable Card TV unit and a driving game: GTR3 (1.8GHz, 1.7 GB HD, 512 Ram DirectX 8.1 needed).
          In other words whaat would you do?
          wolfrunner

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:30 AM »
          So here is what I pulled, (see attached) no, the supply cords do not unplug. They just dissapear inside the beast. Guess I'll go to Microcenter and see if they have a power and cable match, right?
          They're not supposed to unplug.  PSU's come with all those cables.

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »
            OK, I'lll see if Microcenter has a match, maybe. I'm thinking there might be another issue going on as well.
            Can the / could the "surge" I had yesterday get past the PS and fry some other components?
            wolfrunner

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
            You will... probably have to get a motherboard with decent quality VRMs and enough phases to support the beastly 130W TDP of your i7-920 (today's i7-2600K has a TDP of 77W, for comparison). Your current DX58SO has a 6+2 phase design, which will be adequate unless you are trying to set overclock records. Your sound card is one of the best integrated audio chipsets out there, by the way, supporting 7.1+2 output with the Realtek ALC889, just about on par with the discrete SoundBlaster Audigy 2 in terms of analog input levels, can be used for some studio recording if you are up to it :D it would help if you were a little more specific with "couldn't play well with others" :) Chances are, your motherboard is fine.
            Choosing a PSU isn't something to be taken lightly... it's the heart of your computer which keeps the blood (electricity) flowing and regulates the flow so your components don't get fried or so that your computer fails to boot (which may be what's happening here.) If anything, save up for a better motherboard and PSU. There's no use in having the greatest, latest technology when it runs unstably. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13 I strongly recommend this site when it comes to the minute details of PSUs, detailing which brands of capacitors are decent, the soldering jobs on the PCB, whether they actually conform to efficiency specs, how much load will they tolerate on each of their rails, whether or not they have overvolt/current protection, etc.
            http://www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp
            Let's take a look at your power requirements: X58 + i7-920 + 9800GT(googling around this is the gfx card that your GX440 shipped with) + 2 SATA drives at 95% load, ~=325W. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp for the 9800GT.) Actually, I think it is slightly skewed in the direction of extra power because when I pick "High end Desktop", the estimate rises to 349W; http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/designguide/320840.pdf Intel's specs already say the IOH is ~24.1 W on max load. Lower power consumption than you may have thought at the beginning, eh. Pick a power supply with a beefy 12V Rail (since that is what powers your GPU and CPU)  is the only advice I have to give in addition to the link above.
            Now as for upgrading/replacing your motherboard. Your upgrade paths are limited, the i7-920 is already 2 generations behid Ivy bridge with its 1366 socket. Performance wise, it trades blows with the Phenom II X4 980 BE and is trumped by the i5s of today (which are far more power efficient at 95W.) http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2 play around with the price/performance graph here, I find it interesting that you can get the Phenom quad-cores for $30 cheaper than the i3-3220 in some places, for instance, I digress.
            Any motherboard/GPU combo of today will support the low requirements that your game has, DirectX 8 is an ancient standard which predates windows XP and meant to be compatible with Windows ME (Over a decade ago!), so I wouldn't worry about that in the slightest. Any onboard graphics will definitely be able to "max out" your game, too. If you're planning to use this to watch movies with postprocessing at high resolutions, anything released around or later than AMD's VLIW5 architecture will be more than sufficient (Radeon HD 6450 is one of the extremely budget cards. the nVidia GT 520 would probably be its counterpart. Note that your old 9800GT is still vastly more powerful than either of these cards, with more than twice the pixel fillrate and thrice the texel fillrate. nVidia's most compelling price/performance ratio cards are still the mid-end ones in my opinion; AMD has a solid grasp on the entry-level with its HD 7750/6670, and nVidia has a hard time pitting its GTX 550Ti against the HD 6850. The GT 640 is overpriced.)
            If your motherboard turns out to be nonfunctional, in which case http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3571#ov something like this would be a more than adequate replacement(and X58 was once Intel's flagship chipset, I doubt you'll find good bargains for such motherboards. Keep in mind that you are going to be paying for obsolete, albeit still fully capable tech, two generations behind, again). You can upgrade to the hex-core beast of the i7-980X at max. A better quality PSU will come in handy if you ever plan on upgrading to a better(and probably more power efficient) computer in the future. If you have problems with your onboard sound, e.g. bad sound/noise ratio or high floor noise throw in an SB Audigy 4 into your PCI slot on your motherboard and you'll be good to go...
            EDIT: There are modular PSUs, in which case the cables plug in at both ends, both to your motherboard and PSU. Such a feature is usually seen on higher end models. Yes, if your PSU has experienced a voltage surge which overloads its surge capacitors(which surely won't protect against a lightning strike, they're meant to defend against relatively small voltage fluctuations) it will harm your motherboard.
            « Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:29:28 PM by Transfusion »
            In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
            Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 05:14:46 PM »
              Transfusion,
              The Realtek sounds great, but I had issues with a simple WebCam and mic set up that resulted in big time feedback. Moved stuff around (speakers) and made adj. in the Sound section off Control Panel. No joy. Then took same hardware and ran it off a PC with a Asustek MB with no problem. Additionally the sound out has only the single plugs out to the Creative speakers, the jacks for headphones and mic are down on the side of the cabinet about 2 inches off the floor (OK that's not Realtek but it is goofy). Finally the only custom sound we liked was default voice, everything else had too much base.
              The PS supply calculator web pg. of eXtreme Power is great. Thanks!
              I'll keep the graphics cards I have and most likely order an MB (ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Socket AM3+ ATX AMD) plus bundle in the AMD FX 8150 8-Core from Microcenter. Now, do 100% know what I'm talking? No. But more importantly what do you think? Time to upgrade right?
              Thanks so much for the insights.
              wolfrunner

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »
              I own the LE version of this M5A97 R2.0 board, with a Phenom II X4 965BE overclocked to 980BE levels paired with a HD 5850 for hashing, Wolfram Mathematica, Blender, and video transcoding purposes, an 8800GTS in the case that there will be a legacy application or two that only supports nVidia's CUDA compute framework (both cards in the same machine, it was a great struggle to get both kernel modules loaded in Linux Mint 14, but it was worth it.) I originally worried about its 4+2 VRM design, but the temperatures have been stellar so far. Note that if you're planning to run a dual GPU setup with AMD Crossfire, the x16/x4 slots aren't suited. (the second slot is physically x16, electrically x4). A board with x8/x8 or x16/x8 would be much more suitable, because then you still have free lanes for your PCIe x1 slots to use, and workload distribution among the GPUs is not as memory constrained. I can recommend this board for entry-level virtualization purposes too, it supports IOMMU and 32-64 bit memory remapping.
              The only gripe I have with the AMD FX series is its achilles heel, single-threaded performance. It was designed to be a server CPU(nginx/Redis/server applications are much more suited for multithreaded performance), with its shared module design. There are 4 modules inside the 8-core FX it is marketed as. http://www.extremetech.com/computing/93046-the-dao-of-dozer-understanding-amds-next-gen-cpu . There are eight *integer* cores in there, but every two of these cores shares an FPU and Fetch/Decode unit. Windows's thread scheduler simply isn't used to this design, and thus you see it performing badly in single-threaded and lightly multithreaded workloads. (If you're planning on gaming, look no further than the i3-3220, which absolutely beats the pants off the 8150 in nearly every game except Civilization V.)Which, by the way, is the vast majority of software out there. if you look at http://phoronix.com 's benchmarks on Linux, which is a more comprehensively developed server platform, FX really shines because of Linux's scheduler. I digress once again ;) http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/8 It really is a minimal upgrade to your i7-920 for home computing; overclocking your easily overclockable 920 to around the FX-8150's clock speeds would be a much cheaper fix, in my opinion. (Clock speed per clock speed, your i7 is extremely superior, if in single-threaded performance the 8150 is faltering already at 3.6 GHz with your i7 at 2.66GHz, let's see what sort of untapped potential you have when you bump your i7 to around 3.4 GHz ;) )
              Personally? I'd wait till Intel releases Haswell.(It's just right around the corner! Just about every single spec has been leaked and all) Then depending on the price/performance gains (I assure you, an Ivy bridge i5 is more than adequate for any consumer purpose you can think of- the i7-3770K is already outperforming server pieces like the Xeon E3-1230v2.), you can either pick a mid-end model or go nuts on, say, a  Sandy i7, which will certainly be a bargain by then. And you can use Sandy Bridge with Ivy bridge chipsets, so you won't be completely outdated and will enjoy the perks of on-chipset USB3.0, Thunderbolt!, eSATA, etc.) Haswell is supposed to offer TSX, encouraging developers to develop more multithreaded code and optimizations, which may be a win for Bulldozer. http://technewspedia.com/the-intel-haswell-microarchitecture-part-1/ It also adopts the CMT architecture of Bulldozer, which will give it a lead in multithreaded applications It is also supposed to bring a better on-die GPU (rumored to be the HD 4600) which will be comparable to the nVidia GT 650M. Haswell EP will feature DDR4 point-to-point, in which every memory module has a direct serial connection to the CPU.
              « Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:07:49 AM by Transfusion »
              In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
              Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 03:45:38 AM »
                Transfusion,
                Great ideas here given by you is an understatement. Thanks for steering me in the right direction(s). Copied and printed out your advice. I'll look like I'm working at work as I take down sme notes from all you have written.
                Really liked the eXtreme web site tool for PS advice. Worth the $$$!
                My family needs two running machines dailey, so I'm off to Microcenter after work today to tell them some of your recommendations and see what I can "tool" together. Should have things punched together tomorrow :)
                Peace.
                Thom Bailey
                wolfrunner

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
                  Note, I posted another thread in "Hardware" today as this is a different issue than the P.S.
                  Do not know if I should delete the thread on boot trouble or not, you may.
                  Picked up a Thermalake 850 PS with the 12 V. rail. Installed>would not load to Windows> getting "no hardware detected" red bangs when I try to access the drives off the CD ROM Boot Disk that came with my Velocity. Seems like the CD ROM drive will open up the computer files for my like the Desktop and Genie on-line backup program, but I can't access any of the drivers, do a repair or access files because of.......I do not have a clue. I entered BIOS and made sure that I was booting CD 1st. 
                  wolfrunner

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:18 PM »
                  Swap in another Optical drive...
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
                    Thanks, getting one on the way home today.
                    wolfrunner