Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble with wifi connection  (Read 10588 times)

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Trouble with wifi connection
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

Hi all

Bit long winded this one. We've been having problems with our wifi since before xmas.

In our house we have , a homebuilt pc running windows XP SP3 - hard wired , an old gericom laptop running windows XP SP2 - has pluggin usb wifi , a Presario CQ56 laptop running windows 7 home - internal wifi and a nokia lumia running windows 7 mobile.

The PC being hard wired to the router is fine but when we use the wifi with any of the others it will connect for a length of time ( that can vary ) then they loose the connection. The main one that gets used is the presario and if we use a cable it works fine.

I have been trying to work this out with my isp ( AOL ) and I'm now on the 4th router , I started with huawei ( that I did find out had some problems that were known about ) now I'm useing a D-Link dsl 2680. Aol have done line tests and we've gone through changing channels and settings to try and solve this but still havn't got it sorted yet.

When it looses the connection I've tried searching for a connection and it's sometimes not even shown on the list - this has been on both the presari and my lumia.

Aol have now turned round and told me that " they don't guarantee wifi and the fact that I'm getting broadband through the router useing cable I'm now on my own ".

Hopefully this is understandable and someone can help , useing a laptop and mobile phone with cables is a bit restrictive and anoying ;D.

Many thanks , Adam

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Trouble with wifi connection
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
I'd buy my own router with wifi for like $35 and connect this to the broadband modem. I have heard many issues with ISP's and poor wifi devices. Most of the time the router you get was someone elses headache that got thrown back into the shuffle etc.

With my ISP I did away with the modem and router they gave me which was leased. It wasnt bad when it was just $3 a month and the hardware was costly, but when the lease for the hardware jumped up to $5 a month and the Motorola Surfboard broadband modem was only $54 to buy online, I bought my own broadband modem and called up my ISP and told them to please reference the modems MAC address to my account so that I can be back online. They did that in a matter of minutes and I was up and running on my own brand new modem, I then added my own netgear router with wifi and no problems there. Just had to retur my hardware to them which had been leased and explain to them not to cancel my service that I am now running on my own hardware. Been running now for 3 years with no problems on my own hardware and saving $5 a month over everyone else who is paying for hardware leases at $60 a year.

When more than 1 device that is wifi is not finding the wifi, then its most likely yet another bad wifi router.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »
    In addition to DL's sound advice distance from the modem/router can be a large influence on wi=fi reception particularly on older computers. There are ways to enhance that but they too involve cost of additional hardware. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
    Most DSL ISP's require that you use their modem/router.  Seems like many have problems with the router side.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
      CC, On that score i was very fortunate my DSL ISP provided a modem but it was my responsibility to supply a router. Which i was glad they did as it allowed a great flexibility to find one that met my needs. Both units have been performing very well for about the 10 years i have had them.Depending on the geography of the O/P a little shopping around with some pointed questions re modem and/or router may end up being a solution.truenorth

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. The modem/router is in the same room as the comps and usually within 10 ft.  How often would anyone get 4 routers from 2 different manufactors all playing up in similar ways
       Think I might have a look at prices and see what aol say about getting my own and see how that goes , at least like you say it'll be better quality and I'll know the history - as in new.

Thanks guys , Adam

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
      How often would anyone get 4 routers from 2 different manufactors all playing up in similar ways

In this case I would be looking for other causes - neighbouring wireless sources (cordless phones, wireless controls for heating, leaky microwave oven, nearby houses with wireless, cellphone tower, etc) also neighbouring wifi congestion which might be eased by correct choice of wifi band.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »

Hi

Just to clear something in my head re. changing channels - aol only ever say to use 1 , 7 , 9 , 11. but can you use any of the channels that are listed ? We do have a lot of students around our area that come and go.

Thanks , Adam

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
      Do you have the automatic channel mode on this router/modem? Try using this http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx to check on the wifi channels on nearby active networks. Sometimes you need to also go back to /g broadcast instead of using the mixed or /n settings since its connecting old and new windows with usb adapter support for security encryption, signal and broadcast compatibility.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
       Hi

This is how it's set at the moment ( it's a D-Link DSL2680 )

Wireless Network Settings
                              Enable Wireless :   ticked
      Wireless Network Name (SSID) :   AOLBB - 01~~~~
             Enable Auto Channel Scan :  not ticked
                           Wireless Channel : 2.462 GHz - CH 11
                                  802.11 Mode : 802.11b+g+n
                   Hide Wireless Network :  not ticked

Will the wifi inspector tell me what channels are being used as well as other local networks ?

Thanks , Adam

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »
      The PC being hard wired to the router is fine but when we use the wifi with any of the others it will connect for a length of time ( that can vary ) then they loose the connection.
      Please check the router wifi led light if it is still green or on when this happen. Otherwise, it would be another faulty router as already suggested.

Follow the setup above and look for the Bandwith 20/40 Mhz auto. The wireless mode can be toggled for testing purposes, so what solid setup that works for your network is optional. Enable auto channel scan.

Will the wifi inspector tell me what channels are being used as well as other local networks ?
      Yes.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »

Hi

I just want to thank everyone that helped.

It seems I may |V| have found the problem. I checked the advanced wirless settings as above and although mines slightly different they were mostly the same , I then used the xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and it showed 4 local networks all on the same channel as mine. So , I've changed the channel on mine to 9 and at the moment it's seem to be picking it up properly on the laptop and my smartphone ( which picked it up as soon as I changed it ).

So , happy days and thanks again.
       Adam

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
        Great,truenorth

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
          • Yes
        « Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »

Update

Well , it looks like I was wrong. Even though the Router , summary page says the wireless is on the laptop's not picking it up 6 ft away. Really not sure where to look.

Adam

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »
        Well , it looks like I was wrong.

You've changed your tune since Feb 8th. Why?

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
          • Yes
        « Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »

Hi

Thought I had it sorted and it lasted acouple of days before dissapering again. I put wifiinspector on the laptop and was making sure when it dropped off that there wasn't anyone locally on the same channel , and did have to change it a couple of times.
          What I did find was that when it drops it's not even showing on the wifiinspector radar ( even though the router - general summary page , show's a green light for the wifi ) and it stay's that way untill I push the reset button or turn everything off and reboot ( the computer / modem/router isn't switched on all the time only when we use it. ) At the moment IF it gets picked up it's only lasting for 10/15 mins. sometimes right from the start up it doesn't show.

I'm going to get back onto aol and see were that gets me , other than that I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks , Adam

Oh , and the laptop is about 6 to 8 ft away , and it's the same for the phones as well

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
          The only thing i can think of remaining is to try an external router (a dongle) in a USB port and bypass the internal wi-fi chip. They are not expensive. I wish i could guaranty that it will solve your reception problem but i cannot be certain.If you can find a person you know that is using one (often used for wireless reception on desktop computers) and borrow it. Including the software disc. All the ones i have installed over time require the software installation BEFORE connecting the hardware and a prompt occurs when it is time to install the dongle. In the event the lender doesn't have the written instructions anymore. truenorth

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
          summary page says the wireless is on the laptop's not picking it up 6 ft away. Really not sure where to look.
          I don't understand summary page. When you have a previous successful connection, it will create a network profile then usually when the wifi card/adapter would pick up the signal, it will connect automatically which is found on the network profile SSID properties. There are 2 things you should look, the router's wifi led light if its on or green and the home network SSID is not set to hidden. Put back the wireless mode on Advanced settings to Mixed mode.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
            • Yes
          « Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

Hi

Truenorth - I have got a usb wifi adapter that I use on our other laptop , I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Jason - What I 'meant was , I use wifiInspecter on the laptop to show what networks on on in the area. When the laptop looses the internet it doesn't show on the scan with wifiinspecter - but when I log into the router setup on internet explorer and goto the general summary page it show 3 green lights one for interent , one for DSL and one for wireless ( I also have all green lights on the modem/router itself )

I've got back onto aol today so I'll see what they say as well.

Thanks , Adam

bangaloredatacom

Starter

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:13 AM »
          A wireless network adapter switch that's not enabled
          WEP, WPA, or WPA2 security key or passphrase issues
          Cables that aren't connected properly
          Corrupted or incompatible drivers
          Missing updates
          Network connection settings
          Hardware or software problems
          Wireless Network Services,IT Network Services

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
            • Yes
          « Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »

Hi

Same reason to be honest. You can be on the laptop using wifi , and it will only stay connected from about 10 - 20 mins then it just disappears and to carry on I have to connect with a cable. Using a wifi tracker ( Xirrus wifi inspector ) it shows it to begin with but when it drops out it's gone from the tracker as well. It doesn't seem to matter if the pc's on at the same time or not , and the router is about 5 ft away from the laptop.

Aol to be honest don't want to know , there answer I've got broadband into the house , they can send someone round which is going to cost me wether or not they can find anything apart from that I'm on my own.

Just don't know what else to try now.

Adam