Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble with wifi connection  (Read 10556 times)

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Trouble with wifi connection
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »

Hi

Thought I had it sorted and it lasted acouple of days before dissapering again. I put wifiinspector on the laptop and was making sure when it dropped off that there wasn't anyone locally on the same channel , and did have to change it a couple of times.
  What I did find was that when it drops it's not even showing on the wifiinspector radar ( even though the router - general summary page , show's a green light for the wifi ) and it stay's that way untill I push the reset button or turn everything off and reboot ( the computer / modem/router isn't switched on all the time only when we use it. ) At the moment IF it gets picked up it's only lasting for 10/15 mins. sometimes right from the start up it doesn't show.

I'm going to get back onto aol and see were that gets me , other than that I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks , Adam

Oh , and the laptop is about 6 to 8 ft away , and it's the same for the phones as well

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
    The only thing i can think of remaining is to try an external router (a dongle) in a USB port and bypass the internal wi-fi chip. They are not expensive. I wish i could guaranty that it will solve your reception problem but i cannot be certain.If you can find a person you know that is using one (often used for wireless reception on desktop computers) and borrow it. Including the software disc. All the ones i have installed over time require the software installation BEFORE connecting the hardware and a prompt occurs when it is time to install the dongle. In the event the lender doesn't have the written instructions anymore. truenorth

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
    summary page says the wireless is on the laptop's not picking it up 6 ft away. Really not sure where to look.
    I don't understand summary page. When you have a previous successful connection, it will create a network profile then usually when the wifi card/adapter would pick up the signal, it will connect automatically which is found on the network profile SSID properties. There are 2 things you should look, the router's wifi led light if its on or green and the home network SSID is not set to hidden. Put back the wireless mode on Advanced settings to Mixed mode.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Yes
    « Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

Hi

Truenorth - I have got a usb wifi adapter that I use on our other laptop , I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Jason - What I 'meant was , I use wifiInspecter on the laptop to show what networks on on in the area. When the laptop looses the internet it doesn't show on the scan with wifiinspecter - but when I log into the router setup on internet explorer and goto the general summary page it show 3 green lights one for interent , one for DSL and one for wireless ( I also have all green lights on the modem/router itself )

I've got back onto aol today so I'll see what they say as well.

Thanks , Adam

bangaloredatacom

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:13 AM »
    A wireless network adapter switch that's not enabled
    WEP, WPA, or WPA2 security key or passphrase issues
    Cables that aren't connected properly
    Corrupted or incompatible drivers
    Missing updates
    Network connection settings
    Hardware or software problems
    Wireless Network Services,IT Network Services

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Yes
    « Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »

Hi

Same reason to be honest. You can be on the laptop using wifi , and it will only stay connected from about 10 - 20 mins then it just disappears and to carry on I have to connect with a cable. Using a wifi tracker ( Xirrus wifi inspector ) it shows it to begin with but when it drops out it's gone from the tracker as well. It doesn't seem to matter if the pc's on at the same time or not , and the router is about 5 ft away from the laptop.

Aol to be honest don't want to know , there answer I've got broadband into the house , they can send someone round which is going to cost me wether or not they can find anything apart from that I'm on my own.

Just don't know what else to try now.

Adam