Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Disk - My Passport  (Read 5840 times)

babujayapal

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    External Hard Disk - My Passport
    « on: February 08, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »
    i am using WD My Passport 1 TB USB speed 3.0 and higher. The problem is i have 1 TB and i have no space in it i have just filled up all my backup and every thing to that and now it is  not opening in any of the computer device i have tried a lot and my sister got it from USA now i am in India it got lot of trouble and i called to  WD customer support since i don't have the warranty card i cant do anything... then i tried in one of my friends home Thank God it is working in Samsung Led TV but not working in any of the system ... it is working only in Televisions.... Please any one Help!!!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External Hard Disk - My Passport
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »
    What OS version are you using with the 1TB drive? Are you using the data security bundled feature software that came with this drive?

I had a 1.5TB external drive run into a similar issue also a WD drive. I ended up having to carefully open the external drive enclosure and remove the small SATA hard drive and install it internally as an internal 1.5TB SATA drive into my desktop computer to regain access to my data after saving  a little over 1TB of data to the drive. Here is the model I had that I voided the warranty on to regain access to my data/drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236188 

*I locked myself out of my data by accident early on forgetting my own password I set on it, and did away with having this data security WD bundled software having to run to access my data on my drive. I dumped the partitions and created new partitions and ran into issues later on with these drives.

I was using mine with USB 2.0 on both Windows XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 Home Premium. The one day the drive would not work on any computers I had. Tried different USB cable etc with no luck. Stuck drive to my ear and heard it spinning, just wasn't talking to computers. Contacted WD and they said that I could send the drive back to them and get a replacement, however to get my data back would come at an additional free. I decided to keep this drive and void my warranty by cracking it open and installing it internally to a desktop computer instead that had no issues with the drive. I did not feel comfortable sending this drive into WD with private information on it that could get stolen, so I took the chance of getting 1.5TB of storage back as well as over 1TB of my data back by using it as an internal HDD for a few weeks. I then bought a cheap $20 3.5" external enclosure and installed this 1.5TB drive into a cheap Rosewill external enclosure case and the drive worked like new. Something went wrong with the WD SATA to USB conversion board in their WD case is what I assume the cause of the issue was to begin with.

If you are careful and have a small flat screw driver you can pop the tabs on the enclosure and install it into a new 3.5" external hard drive case for SATA drive, and regain access to your data or install it internally like I did to regain access to data.

This is the second external I have had from WD that failed within a year of owning it. The other was a 1TB WD MyBook External with a LCD display that showed free space and external HDD name etc. The LCD died after 3 months and about 6 months after that no computers were detecting the external drive. This was the last external WD drive I will ever buy. Going to stick with Seagate which I have 3 externals that have lasted without issues.

*Only thing I didnt try with mine was to plug it into USB port on flat screen TV to see if it would show family pictures etc like you can do with thumb drives etc.