Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Did my ISP rip me off?  (Read 3284 times)

thehandyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Did my ISP rip me off?
    « on: February 12, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
    I'm with distributel 30mbps cable unl. and I did a speedtest today. Speedtest.net hovers around 30mbps but whenever I do a speedtest on youtube video players, it gives me around 800kbps on average and next to the HTTP i get around 3000kbps when I stream 1080p. (youtube.com/my_speed says my ISP is 6.21mbps)

Idk much about how speed tests work but I feel like youtubes speedtests are more accurate considering most of the times the buffering is way too slow to keep up with the 1080p stream. Or maybe it's something wrong with the way I set my wires/cables/settings? Or am I getting ripped off by my ISP? I don't have a crappy computer either it's actually far from crappy.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Did my ISP rip me off?
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
    I'm with distributel 30mbps cable ...
    ... how speed tests work but I feel like youtubes speedtests are more accurate considering most of the times the buffering is way too slow to keep up with the 1080p stream. ...
    You Tube is not a reliable test of speed.
    Netflix, and some others, do streaming paid for by consumer directly. Such companies have a commitment to reliable streaming. Even so, only 3 Mbps is needed, not 30 Mbps.

IMHO, if you ISP can not give you perfect service on Netflix or Hu,lu, they are not giving your you paid for.
    u

thehandyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Did my ISP rip me off?
      « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
      That doesn't tell me anything. I don't have netflix and hulu only lets people watch from the US. Youtube has a lot of educational videos aswell as entertaining videos and can be viewed from (almost) anywhere. If you're telling me that youtube is not reliable for a speed test how does that explain the crappy streaming speed I get from the youtube video players? I can't watch youtube videos from any other source nor do I know how to.