Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 2509 times)

wando red

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Power Supply Question
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:12:25 AM »
I have a 7 year old computer which has been giving me issues for the past year or so.  clock and calendar change every now and then.  I changed the battery on the MoBo so that was not the issue.  yesterday it failed and now I do not get any POST when I turn it on.  The fans are running. Memory is good.  Hard Drive is good.  I am thinking it might be the power supply but is it possible that the fans would run but nothing else?  I would like to get another year out of the computer and can replace the power supply for relatively cheap but wondering if you think I should do that.  If its the MoBo then I may be in trouble because the form factor does not seem to be available anywhere and since it is older I do not want to upgrade anything else.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »
Cheapest/best way to determine if it is in fact the PSU is to borrow a known good one of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there overnite...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wando red

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:05:05 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  fortunately I have never thrown away any computer I have ever owned (got my first in 1983) and had an extra PSU.  Unfortunately, I got the same result from the good PSU.  I think its safe to assume its the MoBo.  Along with not getting a POST none of the buttons or lights on the front panel work.  I have not been able to find a mobo that will fit the form factor and where I don't have to replace the memory or CPU.  this is what I have:

Shuttle SD30G2 Plus Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel 945GC Intel GMA 950 Barebone

If you have any idea where I might be able to find a replacement MoBo please let me know. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
I have been using Shuttle Small Form Factor PCs for over 10 years. The motherboard for the SD30G2 is the FD30, and they are still listed on various sellers websites around the world for around 35 UK pounds/50 US dollars/40 euros) I don't know where you are located but you could search locally or check Shuttle's website for lists of local resellers. I see them advertised on eBay for around that price. The form factor is Shuttle's own, not a standard one.