Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: plzzzzz help...External HDD showing 0MD size due to delayed write failed errors.  (Read 2880 times)

motivationalist

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Hi Fellows,

I have TOSHIBA 200GB HDD. I made it external HDD through a drive case and using it since few months for storing the data. it has 4 partitions.
    Now I have a problem with it. A week before the drive started giving following errors when I was plugging it in to the system
    There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc, this can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it
    Delayed Write Failed
    I/O Device Error
    Initially it was only reading two partitions, after 2-3 days it only showed one partition (not all data), then now it is showing 4 partition with zero data with zero 0mb total disk space. It is asking to format each partition I am trying to open. I tried to access the HDD from multiple systems (XP, VISTA, SEVEN) but same 0MB size showing up now every time.

How can I get the external HDD back to normal state without losing the data already there? please help.

Thanks,

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    How can I get the external HDD back to normal state without losing the data already there? please help.
    IMHO you might not be able to repair it. I think a technician would likely charge you almost $100, even if he could fix it. (My opinion.)
    You can buy a new external drive from local merchants in many parts of the world for under $120 and less. Here in the USA you find them at Wall Mart or Best Buy.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    It would be worth trying to connect the drive back internally and if successful, back up the documents and have the drive run a diagnostic test to check for consistency or errors.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Hi

if you do what jason2074 suggested and it is still showing as zero mb then you could try this tool.

http://hddguru.com/software/2007.07.20-HDD-Capacity-Restore-Tool/

It won't work with USB drives only if it is directly connected.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan