Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Password removal - how?  (Read 3065 times)

lornfile

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Password removal - how?
    « on: January 29, 2018, 09:03:10 AM »
    I created text in MS DOS then put a password on it. To print it out in Word, I used to remove the password, edit my doc, then save it. I now know the password but cannot open the Word docs by converting first to MS DOS as I'd done many times before, due to a library upgrade some years ago. It actually tells me 'Document created by corporate program' (Not sure whether that means Corporate Program.)

More fool me for not putting the password on via a private machine if the library system is the problem. Worse, the library refused to let me have the old computer when they did their upgrade, otherwise I wouldn't have a problem now.

Is there any way I can convert a Word doc back to MS Dos to remove the password and open it?

Or do I have to advertise for an old machine? I have all the old HD disks plus what I tried to transfer to USB.

Please help!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Password removal - how?
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
    You need to just know the exact version of software that it was created under. Then install that software and then it should be the same as the old computer you had. You just need a software/file pairing and should not need a hardware/file pairing.

*Note: If this is an old 16-bit program the this file was created under you will need to run it through a 32-bit version of Windows. 64-bit versions of Windows no longer support 16-bit programs. Most people these days run dos programs through older 32-bit windows computers however maybe your computer is running DOS and doesnt have windows in which 16-bit compatibility wont be an issue.

You stated you know the password, so you just need to know what program and version the file was created under. Buy that if you dont already have it, and then open that file by entering the password with the original software.