Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wifi hotspot  (Read 9704 times)

Abhishek

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    wifi hotspot
    « on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »
    Hi,

Im using Idea Net Setter 3G over laptop (Windows Vista),

I want to use internet connection of my laptop on my android mobile through wifi.

Please help.

Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: wifi hotspot
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
    You can tether them via cable, but I have never done the reverse tether that it appears you want to perform and by use of wifi only.

I read this as your Laptop has internet via the Idea Net Setter 3G adapter and you want to share that laptops internet connection with your Android Mobile through wifi.

You might be able to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing ) on Vista, however I have only done this with Windows XP and between 2 computers authenticated on the same domain, etc, and wired over Cat5 cross over cable, both of which were sharing a single 56k dial-up connection. Then turn your integrated wifi of your laptop open to connection for the Android Mobile phone, but I am not sure it it will work even if setting up ICS for Everyone which poses serious security risks with anyone around you finding this available connection.

Veronica

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »
      Hello, You wanted to use your internet connection of your laptop on to your android mobile through wifi. A hotspot is a site that offers Internet access over a wireless local area network through the use of a router connected to a link to an Internet service provider. Hotspots typically use Wi-Fi technology. You can go to Network and Sharing Center, to allow other network or your mobile users to connect through your laptop. More instructions to learn further here, http://www.techyv.com/questions/virtual-wifi-hotspot-using-laptop

Hope that it help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
      Sorry, use of terms has me confused.
      Here is a popular definition of Hot Spot and Wi Fi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_%28Wi-Fi%29

The most economical way to use mobile devices inside your house is via your own wireless rooter.  Well, at least that is true presently in many parts of the USA. Our iPhones connect via the household wireless router/modem from AT&t. We only use the 3G when away from the house. The data plan is much too costly.

But in some places people use 3G and 4G for all their internet connections and never use DSL or cable.

Just what does the OP want to do? What does he have? Where does he live?