Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7  (Read 9231 times)

SkipperRi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
    Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
    « on: February 25, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »
    Hi guys,

Is it possible to downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7 without affecting my programs, documenst etc.? Windows 8 isn't so big problem for me, but on that OS my Nvidiga GeForce 8600 won't work with two monitors, so I must go back to Win 7. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
    Did your computer come with Windows 8 when it was new, or did you upgrade the OS from Win 7 to Win 8?  Is your computer a desktop or laptop/notebook?  If it's a desktop, what expansion slots are available?  Is the Nvidiga GeForce 8600 integrated into the motherboard or is it a card in an expansion slot?  What happens when you try to connect a second monitor?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
    Keep in mind there are a few Win8 PC's that were sold that have no downgrade path to Win7...
    I don't know of a method that will retain your apps...they normally need to be re-installed to run properly...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SkipperRi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
      Did your computer come with Windows 8 when it was new, or did you upgrade the OS from Win 7 to Win 8?  Is your computer a desktop or laptop/notebook?  If it's a desktop, what expansion slots are available?  Is the Nvidiga GeForce 8600 integrated into the motherboard or is it a card in an expansion slot?  What happens when you try to connect a second monitor?
      Desktop computer, with PCI & PCI Express slots, Windows 8 upgraded from 7. When I extend desktop to second monitor Windows act like there is everything ok, but on second monitor is only dark. Strange, Nvidia control panel detected both monitors, exact models. On Win 7 worked just fine.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
      Perhaps driver update would solve the problem.  Have you visited NVidia's website to see whether they have a driver update for Windows 8? 

I found an interesting article @ http://www.dual-monitor.biz/2011/09/14/windows-8-multi-monitor/.  Windows 8 provides some improved features for using multiple monitors.  I think I'd investigate further before downgrading back to Win 7.

SkipperRi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
        Perhaps driver update would solve the problem.  Have you visited NVidia's website to see whether they have a driver update for Windows 8? 

I found an interesting article @ http://www.dual-monitor.biz/2011/09/14/windows-8-multi-monitor/.  Windows 8 provides some improved features for using multiple monitors.  I think I'd investigate further before downgrading back to Win 7.
        I tried all possible solutions related to that Nvidia card, but no success. It's driving me crazy.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »
        I wonder if a newer card would solve the problem.  Perhaps you should visit https://forums.geforce.com/ and start a discussion there, in addition to this one. I believe you'd want to post in the Legacy section there: https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/46/legacy/

SkipperRi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
          I wonder if a newer card would solve the problem.  Perhaps you should visit https://forums.geforce.com/ and start a discussion there, in addition to this one. I believe you'd want to post in the Legacy section there: https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/46/legacy/
          Thanks, I'll try.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
          Please keep us informed on the status/progress of your issue.

SkipperRi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
            Please keep us informed on the status/progress of your issue.
            Sure. For now nothing new, I'm still on Windows 8. I posted issue on Nvidia forum, but no answer. On Linux Ubuntu 12.10 both monitors work perfect.