Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 DDWRT routers and 2 networks to relieve heavy home network congestion  (Read 7442 times)

mahicks1976

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello,

Here is my opportunity:
     I have 8 multi megapixel IP cameras using A LOT of network resources on my home network (Each are pulling around 1100mbs at times and eat up about 70% of my gigabit connection on average on my network dvr video server.)

-I also have 3 laptops and about 10 home components connected to my network along with a sling box from dish, a desktop, a media sever and a few tablets.

-The bandwidth hog(s) are my IP Cameras from my home security system that are connected to a dedicated DVR/Server computer on the same network running Blue Iris software. The cameras connect through two Zyxel POE fast switches and those are plugged into a Lan port on the router.

What I was thinking is since I have TWO DD-WRT routers (A netgear R6300 and a Netgear WNDR3500)I could use both routers to isolate the cameras and improve the network performance.

-Since I connect to the Blue Iris/Dedicated DVR computer via windows remote desktop connection and use several devices across the same network that share resources I thought having one network would be a good choice.  I connected one router to the other properly with different addresses and setup on for DHCP and disabled the other to be nothing more than a forwarder but now I think it would be better to Isolate the IP cameras from the rest of the home network by creating a different network BUT I STILL NEED Internet access on the server AND be able to remote login using windows remote login from a laptop that will now be on a different network.

In short, here is what I want to do:
    1.  Have home two home LANS, one would be 192.168.1.XXX.  The other would be 192.168.2.XXX
    2.  The first LAN would be for home internet/wifi, laptop, computer, tablet, home theater use.  The second LAN be for a home security IP camera system and DVR server computer.
    3.  Both LAN's must have internet access from a single ISP.
    4.  I must be able to remote login to the second LAN from the first LAN using windows remote login for system maintenance, viewing, etc.
    5.  Sharing files/resources across both networks would be an awesome plus but not totally necessary.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on how I could do this?  Here is my available equipment:
    -Home security server running windows 7 ultimate with an intel pro gigabit nic card and a built in gigabit nic on the motherboard.
    -DD-WRT Router (wireless currently disabled) and used for the home security server and the Power over Ethernet switches and cameras
    -DD-WRT Router with wireless AC/N for home equipment and computers for internet access.
    -Several fast switches

Thank you in advance for your help!
     -Michael

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    1.  Have home two home LANS, one would be 192.168.1.XXX.  The other would be 192.168.2.XXX
    2.  The first LAN would be for home internet/wifi, laptop, computer, tablet, home theater use.  The second LAN be for a home security IP camera system and DVR server computer.
    3.  Both LAN's must have internet access from a single ISP.
    Have you tried connecting one router to the other?
    Modem to " first LAN router", "first LAN router" to 2nd LAN router.

mahicks1976

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Have you tried connecting one router to the other?
      Modem to " first LAN router", "first LAN router" to 2nd LAN router.

Yes & No:  ORIGINALLY............
      I had both routers connected that way but both on the same network with different IP addresses.  I disabled the wan port on the second router (DDWRT makes it another lan port when you do that.) and setup the second router as a DHCP forwarder and changed it under advanced routing settings to operating mode=router, dynamic routing enabled.  This works fine but it still did not decrease the load on the first router at all because the only active connections the second router receives is what ever the IP address is of the device I use to log into DDWRT on the second router.

To answer your question in regards to what I am asking to do....
      No;  I have not.  I haven't for the following reasons:
      1.  I want to do my research first and not "guinea pig it" because all of my equipment is in a 41U rolling rack unit in a closet.  I can get to it all but want to do my research on the front end instead of the back end....ie, my back... My limited networking knowledge leads me to believe that what I am asking is not going to work just by simply connecting all the pieces together without proper setting changes in the routers and server.
      2.  I have read/been generally told/warned, that having two different routers issuing DHCP at the same time is not good if not setup properly.

All that being said, is there reason for you to believe that just connecting them all together will work?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      ...All that being said, is there reason for you to believe that just connecting them all together will work?
      I've done it at home with 2 different routers & it works just fine.
      I didn't have the bandwidth loading you have.
      If you put all the bandwidth hogs on one router, it will not affect the other router, but will still give them internet access when needed.
      Port on 1st router must be connected to WAN port of 2nd router.  Both your routers are gigabit on all ports.
      The router I'm using now is flashed DD-WRT.  I don't see either of your routers (netgear R6300 and a Netgear WNDR3500) in the support list.  WNDR3500 is not a valid model number.  WNR3500 is valid and is supported (Broadcom chip).

BTW, how many routers do you think are on the internet between you & this website?  You can do a tracert which will show how many "hops".  16 hops from me to CH, i.e. at least 16 routers.