Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving computer into room without phone jack  (Read 9503 times)

zulubanshee

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Moving computer into room without phone jack
    « on: March 26, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
    I'm moving the computer into another room, one without a phone jack. It will be about 40 feet away from the jack. Can I expect degradation of the signal? If so are there any special cords I can use? I assume keeping the modem in the room it is in would be the best thing. I don't really want to use a wireless router; I've bought several in the past and they were all a bust.

CWB:Hinton

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Moving computer into room without phone jack
      « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »
      Just buy an Ethernet cord long enough to accommodate your needs. However far away the computer will be from the modem buy a cord about 10-15 foot longer. Run the Ethernet cord from the back of your modem (Yellow port that says Ethernet) and run it however you can in order to keep it out of the way. (Over door ways, etc) You can buy wire clips that you nail over the cord to the wall.

And to answer your question about signal, No. It won't bother it whatsoever. Hope this helped (:

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:38 PM »
      Assuming your using DSL Highspeed through telephone line, via DSL Modem.

I don't really want to use a wireless router; I've bought several in the past and they were all a bust.

Wireless routers are very simple to set up and pretty rugged. Kind of curious was to why they were all bust? I have used Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, and a few other common name brands and never had any issues. I also know people who are not very computer savy who have been able to set them up and get them to work without issues in which I usually help them to secure them with different password, and enable the wireless security settings for them so that neighbors or wardrivers dont hop onto their internet connection. The only router I have ever had issues with was a Belkin piece of junk that someone bought at wal-mart and it kept going out to lunch requiring reboots to work again for a random period of time and then drop out again. I pointed them to the D-Link that wal-mart had and this has been running for 2 years now without any issues.

The only catch to setting up some DSL connections are that the authorization credentials have to be configured into the router to connect to the internet. If your computer has software that your ISP gave you for establishing your DSL connection and you have to logon using this software then you will have to set the router up to connect to your DSL provider. Not very hard to do, but more involved than Cable Broadband which does not need router setting to handshake with credentials with ISP. Once the router is set up to authenticate the software to authenticate on the computer is usually no longer necessary because the internet connection is already authorized through the router so all devices are sharing the internet connection that is already authorized. Also most ISP's have tech support to assist you with getting a router to work, as well as offer modem/router combination hardware to allow you to have wifi, sometimes as part of your existing monthly fee, but othertimes they offer the wireless hardware and support for $3 to $5 a month to lease the hardware if you dont want to buy your own hardware.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • ThomasTheXPUser
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »
      You could always use a pair of wireless routers (one transmitting WiFi, one acting as a ethernet bridge.) You just have to find a pair of routers that supports this. I haven't noticed much degradation, but then again my Internet connection is awful to begin with.

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
      Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
      There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.