Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to set up wifi security  (Read 7940 times)

joeblow

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    How to set up wifi security
    « on: October 09, 2020, 12:21:44 PM »
    I have an Ignite modem and a Cisco Linksys E1200 router. After some difficulty I have set up the router successfully so now all 3 of my computers can access internet and I assume so can my phone, I haven't checked yet. But there seems to be a security issue. When I tested it out with my laptop, the laptop automatically connects to the internet. At no time was I asked to enter the password to get onto the network. I just turned on the laptop, and after it loaded the OS, it was automatically on the network. Doesn't this mean that anyone sitting in a car outside my house can get onto my network? I'm concerned about security. I don't want the hassle of having to log in every time I want to use the internet, but that doesn't mean I want to allow anyone outside to get onto my network.

2 computers are desktop and log themselves in to the network automatically. I thought that was because they're connected to the router with ethernet cables so there's no need for it to ask for the password. But for the wifi, how do I make it so I don't have to log in, but anyone without permission, or anyone passing by outside does? In the setup site for the E1200, there's a section for Wireless Security. The only options under that tab are to change the security mode from what it's currently set to - WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode - to something else, and to change the passphrase. If I change that passphrase, will that be a separate wifi passphrase, or will it change the existing ethernet passphrase? Are they the same passphrase? And that won't even solve the problem if it just logs anyone in automatically.

mathis.ws

Rookie
    • Mathis Consulting LLC
      • Computer Data & Web services - Mathis Consulting
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to set up wifi security
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 03:19:50 PM »
    If you already used the same SSID (wireless name) and the same wireless password in the past on a different access point or router your devices will simply connect because they will use the saved credentials.  If you want to test it simply tell your device to forget the network and it will require you to re-enter the password.  I normally try to use the same credentials when replacing hardware to avoid having to reprogram all the wireless devices. 

Thanks,

Mike