Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: changing the welcome screen text across computers on the domain  (Read 10680 times)

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
    Our school is running Server 2003, all of the classroom computers and laptops log into it. The previous teacher changed the welcome text to say, "...If you have any problems please contact Mr. Schroeder." Well he has left and I contacted him to find out how he changed it. He can not remember. I checked Google and was able to find how to change the text on a computer, but when I changed it on the server it did not carry over to the client computer. I rebooted both the server and the client I was testing.

Is there some other registry setting so that the welcome screen text is changed across all current and future computers that log into the server? I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System and changed the legalnoticetext. It was changed on the server, and manually on a workstation, but did not change when I rebooted a different machine.

What did I miss?

Thanks

TechnoGeek

Re: changing the welcome screen text across computers on the domain
    « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
    That method will work fine for any individual computer, but to make it a network-wide change you should deploy it via a Group Policy setting or startup script. I didn't see that in a quick look through the group policy reference, but it might be in there. Alternatively, a startup script to add the registry entry should work okay.