Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Would Appreciate Help to Recover Deleted Files  (Read 3317 times)

AVS004

Topic Starter

Rookie

Would Appreciate Help to Recover Deleted Files
    « on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
    I had a flash drive with .pdf files among others on it. Once I inserted the drive, the compuer would ask me whether or not I wanted to scan the drive because some errors were found. I chose not to scan it. The drive opened fine. But the next time I inserted the drive and chose not to scan it, the drive opened but half the files were gone.
    To recover the files, I was recommended to use "virtual Lab" recovery software. This program scanned the drive and found some files and saved them into a folder called "Raw Files". Inside of it there are several folders. One of them is of interest to me as it is called Adobe Acrobat Documents There are .pdf files and they probably are the ones I am looking for but when try to open them with the  Adobe Acrobat reader, the message says that they cannot be opened because           
    "they were either not supported or, damaged, for example, sent in e-mail and incorrectly decoded"
    My question: is there anything that could be done to bring these files back to life at this point? E.g. re-docode them, so they are decoded correctly?

Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Would Appreciate Help to Recover Deleted Files
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
    Simple answer is" No" You have already used a software program to recover some files. That may be as much as you can do.

In theory, flash drives are supposed to be very reliable. But many users report they fail more often than they shooed.

IMHO the best way to store files is on a good  quality eternal drive. Prices vary.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Would Appreciate Help to Recover Deleted Files
    « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:37 AM »
    Try Recuva:
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

If that can't get them, they're probably lost.

In the future, make sure you use the "safely remove hardware" function of Windows to release the drives and not just pull it out. Pulling it out without doing this can result in the loss of data if the drive is still in use.