Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtual PC 2007, no longer working in Windows 7 Home Premium  (Read 6517 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Virtual PC 2007, no longer working in Windows 7 Home Premium
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
This is kind of interesting to me, because I installed Virtual PC 2007 to this Windows 7 Home Premium system a while back and it was running fine. I remember a blat that this is not supported for Windows 7 when I first installed it and got around this by installing using reverse XP compatibility mode. Then ran it with no problems for months.

Then about 6 months or longer went by in which i didnt need to test anything in the virtual environments and I needed to test some software last night before using it on a real machine and to my surprise I got a message that Virtual PC 2007 is no longer supported by Windows 7. Tried to get it to run in reverse compatibility mode and it comes up with the blat and closes. Went to Microsofts website hoping they would have a fix for this and sure enough Virtual PC 2007 SP1 is for XP and Vista only!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24439

*Thinking that a Windows Update killed off VPC 2007 on this system. Nothing else could explain it breaking like this, when it use to run with no problems. :-\   *Still waiting for the update that tries to kill off my desktop gadgets  ::)

Has anyone else hit this problem, and if so is there something better than Virtual PC 2007 out there for free or inexpensively that works with Windows 7 that will mount my already created VHD test environments, and be able to create new ones with just like VPC 2007 or better?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Virtual PC 2007, no longer working in Windows 7 Home Premium
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
Don't know what "Reverse Compatibility mode" is. Nor am I familiar with these "blats" that are evidently a core part of Windows.

Anyway, Windows Update probably installed "Windows Virtual PC" for whatever reason. The "blat" (by which I assume you mean the "This Program is blocked" dialog) only shows when Windows Virtual PC is installed. You can remove it through programs and Features. You will have to actually uninstall it from the "Installed Updates" feature.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
BC_Programmer

Don't know what "Reverse Compatibility mode" is. Nor am I familiar with these "blats" that are evidently a core part of Windows..
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10436/using-program-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7/

Anyway, Windows Update probably installed "Windows Virtual PC" for whatever reason. The "blat" (by which I assume you mean the "This Program is blocked" dialog) only shows when Windows Virtual PC is installed. You can remove it through programs and Features. You will have to actually uninstall it from the "Installed Updates" feature.

I manually installed Virtual PC 2007 SP1, and forced it to install via the compatibility mode in Windows 7 when originally it did not want to install. Sometime between the last time that I used it and attempted to use it last night it seems as it broke and my assumption is that a Microsoft Update broke it with no proof to point the finger at Microsoft for breaking it, but its an educated guess given the nature of the failure and message.

Blat = Message is "Virtual PC 2007 is not supported on this version of Windows" and gives me a check online for a solution option. To where there is no solution for Windows 7.

Patio

I was thinking I was going to have to go with VMware or VirtualBox, however from what I have read they do not play well with VHD's created under VPC2007, and I would probably have to create new ones. Was hoping to not have to recreate them, but if thats what I have to do, then thats what I have to do.

I do have a Windows XP Pro machine that can run these VHD's for testing, with no problems and maybe from now on, I will have to run the already created virtual environments on that lesser powerful dual-core with just 2GB RAM vs my more powerful Win 7 system with the Athlon II x4.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
BC_Programmer
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10436/using-program-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7/
I know what Program Compatibility Modes are. I am unfamiliar with "Reverse" Compatibility Modes. I was part stabbing at the fact that there is no such thing; I had an idea what you meant but clarity is always a bit important...

I manually installed Virtual PC 2007 SP1, and forced it to install via the compatibility mode in Windows 7 when originally it did not want to install. Sometime between the last time that I used it and attempted to use it last night it seems as it broke and my assumption is that a Microsoft Update broke it with no proof to point the finger at Microsoft for breaking it, but its an educated guess given the nature of the failure and message.

Blat = Message is "Virtual PC 2007 is not supported on this version of Windows" and gives me a check online for a solution option. To where there is no solution for Windows 7.
Windows Virtual PC and Virtual PC are two separate products. If Windows Virtual PC is installed (and it was pushed as part of WU at some point), you will get that message from Windows when you run Virtual PC.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.