Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Optiplex 960 restore  (Read 4833 times)

LesM

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Beginner
    Dell Optiplex 960 restore
    « on: April 06, 2013, 04:01:51 AM »
    Hello , i am unable to restore my Dell Optiplex 960 in any way after replacing the HDD. I can get to the Dell screen and F12 to start off a Win7 disc but the HDD is not seen as a usable partition although it has been formatted as simple disc . It has run from external HDD in the past ( i have been playing around to learn as i am an apple user mostly and usually can get my way around problems but this has me stumped....probably something easy i have missed.....
    BTW the old HDD is not useable.

HELP!?
    L.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Dell Optiplex 960 restore
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »
    Not exactly clear how you are trying to restore...the restore partition would be on the dead HDD.
    You can contact Dell and order recovery DVD's for a minimal charge + shipping....

Windows will not run on an external without a sledgehammer and 2 days of monkeying with it...this is by design.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

LesM

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
      Hello and thank you for prompt reply!

I do have the 2nd recovery disc and will search for the 1st but i think its more to do with the HDD not being seen as a partition that can be used by the Windows installation disc so i will seek out another Win PC and format it again to see if thats the trouble , it is a brand new WD Caviar Black 1TB and does show on apple machine as a useable disc so it is fine....

I must be doing some things right as i got Win7 to work via external HDD on this Dell! Pity i cant figure out the easy stuff then.........

Thanks.

L.

LesM

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »
        GOT IT !
        I formatted in Disk Manager on a smaller partition an did the long slow format then W7 installed just fine....
        Some time later i found the recovery discs as well , Murphy's Law......
        Now to get that Lenovo laptop sorted , it has the same issue , have to re-install the system on new HDD , ahh the fun we create for ourselves!

Thanks for the help!

L.