Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Doing my first build ever, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H won't start up on the test boot.  (Read 11853 times)

GFroun

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    When I turn on my PSU, the orange light on the motherboard Power button turns on, once I press that button, the fans on the psu, gpu and cooler will twitch slightly and then everything stops, but the light on the mobo stays on. Also, if I press the power up button again, nothing happens, for the fans to twitch again, I'd have to turn off the psu then turn it back on and press the power button on the motherboard again.

This is my build

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i5 3570k
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
    EVGA Geforce gtx 670 FTW 2gb
    650W Supernova EVGA PSU
    Corsair vengeance 2x8gb DDR-3 1600

I really don't know what to do and I'm worried I may have short circuited something. It's my first ever build and I'm positive I've done everything correctly but I hope for my sake that I haven't, because at least I could re-do everything instead of having a short-circuited system. I have The 24 pin MB cable connected, and the CPU1 cable to the ATX_12V_2X4 slot on the motherboard.

What I then did was I removed everything and only left the cable between the motherboard and the PSU, the 24 pin MB cable, I switched it on and the psu fan spun for a full 1.5 seconds. Much better than small twitch when everything else was connected.

Can anyone help?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    If there was a short or too much draw it should pulse and make a ticking sound, fans would pulse and possibly even an LED or two.

If you have a digital multimeter, I'd verify the 5V and 12V and report back with findings. You might find that one of these is weak.

The fact that the motherboard boots for 1.5 seconds just PSU + Motherboard ( populated with 1 stick ram and CPU with heatsink etc) with soft power switch connected and nothing else with full fan speed and stops is interesting, but could also be a PSU issue as for if the motherboard did not see the tach pulse from a fan, it should run longer before protecting itself by shutdown, around 5 seconds or so from boards I have worked with.

I'd take readings with multimeter bare minimum like you have and then add video card and take another reading if you can. And try to find what device may cause the 5 or 12V to test too low if it hasnt already tested too low on bare populated with minimum to function motherboard.

Also, boards can act very strange, then you reset the CMOS battery and it comes out of it, but usually systems that need a CMOS battery reset will black screen with failed post, in which the settings set back to default bring it back to life from its unknown state.

* Also found you on Toms Hardware when looking for others with similar issues  ;D  http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1650273/build-gigabyte-z77x-ud5h-start-test-boot.html No problems with posting with multiple resources for help assistance, we all do it!  ;)

GFroun

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I don't have access to a digital multimeter right now but I know someone who has one, I can check later. The only thing I haven't tried is removing the CPU and putting it back on.

Also, I've taken a video and if you could wait for about 20 minutes, I can post it on here for you to see what's happening, it's currently being uploaded to youtube.

Thank you for the help btw.

GFroun

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Ryuk

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
          Seems like its getting soft power an if thats the power switch.  I would look at the MB manual.  Check if you have a twenty four pin board an thats connected.  Reset the Memory and did you see if it will attempt to post or beep?

GFroun

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

It is a 24 pin board, what's weird is that I have 23 pins on my PSU cable

I can't see if it'll beep because I don't have a speaker and what exactly is Post?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            It is a 24 pin board, what's weird is that I have 23 pins on my PSU cable
            I can't see if it'll beep because I don't have a speaker and what exactly is Post?
            Looks like 24 to me.
            POST=Power On Self Test
            Case should have a speaker.
            Did you connect keyboard, won't POST without one?
            A lot of bad review on this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

Ryuk

Adviser

I see what you ment.  But, did you connect both of them?  It may not have enough power if your only haveing the twenty connector connected

GFroun

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Looks like 24 to me.
                POST=Power On Self Test
                Case should have a speaker.
                Did you connect keyboard, won't POST without one?
                A lot of bad review on this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

I did not connect a keyboard, and a lot of motherboards have bad reviews :/ I guess I just got one of the bad ones.

GFroun

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I see what you ment.  But, did you connect both of them?  It may not have enough power if your only haveing the twenty connector connected

If by both of them you mean the 8 pin CPU cable AND the 24 pin MB cable then yes.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  I did not connect a keyboard, and a lot of motherboards have bad reviews :/ I guess I just got one of the bad ones.
                  Most systems will not boot properly/and or beep madly without a keyboard hooked up...
                  Why not try it with one  ? ?
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GFroun

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Most systems will not boot properly/and or beep madly without a keyboard hooked up...
                    Why not try it with one  ? ?

ok, just tried it, the moment I turn on the Power supply with the keyboard plugged in, one of the lights on my keyboard turns green for a full second, then switches back off... but as far as booting up the whole system goes... still the same problem :/

DaveLembke

Sage
                    Looked at your video and freeze framed the quick LED post that flashed and it did not flash a numeric code, it was a broken 0 with the top left led unlit.

I'd try a different power supply is you have one to figure out if its the PSU or the motherboard. If a known good PSU still shows same issue, then return the motherboard via RMA for a replacement, or contact Gigabyte support to see what they suggest.

From the looks of it it looks like the soft-power comes to a ready state, pre-post, then when it goes to boot its pulling too many amps from the PSU and dropping out. Which could be PSU defective or a trouble with the board.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    3 things to check...
                    All MBoard standoffs in place ? ?
                    Was Thermal paste applied properly ? ?
                    Have you tried it with only 1 stik of RAM ? ?
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                    3 things to check...
                    All MBoard standoffs in place ? ?
                    Was Thermal paste applied properly ? ?
                    Have you tried it with only 1 stik of RAM ? ?
                    Not installed in case.
                    Doesn't stay on more than 1/2 sec.  Thermal paste not an issue.
                    Looks like only 1 stick.

Looks like bad motherboard.  Failure rate for this model is over 20%.