Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: W7 takes a longggg time to come out of sleep  (Read 4523 times)

322buick

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    W7 takes a longggg time to come out of sleep
    « on: April 18, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »
    Hello,
    And thank you for having me!
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64 bit, 2007 Dell E510. This is a fresh install with a new WD HHD 500gb SATA about a week ago. It's fully updated, activated and transferred.

My problem is after I take it out of sleep, it takes 4-5 minutes before the normal desktop screen functions will respond to any mouse clicks. "Little blue/green" just keeps spinning the whole time. The mouse and pointer work fine [switched the mouse just to be sure]. After it finally responds, it's business as usual [until the next sleep mode of course]. So for now, I just shut it down because a full reboot takes 20-30 seconds and I am operational.

You know, thinking back, I have an old Vista HHD that did something similar to this also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    T'care,
    Mike

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: W7 takes a longggg time to come out of sleep
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
    First question.
    Was the Dell still under warranty?
    Why do a fresh instal on a new Windows 7 machine?
    Did the factory recommend nit? Did you use a source from the factory?

Retail version of Windows 7 do not have all the drivers used by Dell on their products. Doing a 'generic' instal may have cost you the power y to do all functions, especially things related to hardware.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »
    Looks like your system is a Pentium 4 3Ghz, which came with 512MB RAM initially from factory.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-e510-pentium/4507-3118_7-31555136.html

How much RAM does this system have with Windows 7?

A system starving for RAM will act like this and 64 bit Windows 7 needs about 50% more RAM than Windows 7 32-bit to run without lag. ( I suggest at least 2GB minimum for Windows 7 64 Bit ) * Lag can also be caused by using newer OS on an old CPU.

The good news is that its controller is a SATA II and not an earlier slower SATA controller, however you will want to make sure that the chipset drivers are operating the SATA controller at SATA 300 and not SATA 150. Having improper (generic) controller drivers can do this and degrade performance.

*Also Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 will never be a speed demon. It will run Windows 7, but you have to be patient with its performance. Windows XP is best on this hardware, (although support for Windows XP is going away in April 2014 ). I ran Windows 7 32-bit on a Pentium D 3GHz (dual-core) with 1.5GB RAM a few years ago and downgraded back to XP Pro, and used this OS on my current newer Athlon II quadcore build. It was ok when web surfing etc, but games that ran ok on Windows XP were lagging severely on Win 7 on the Pentium D 3Ghz because the hardware was burdened by the OS load so greatly that the games no longer had the free clock cycles and memory available that it once had under Windows XP. I also noticed lag on youtube videos even though I had a GeForce 7600 video card in it with 256MB RAM with latest drivers. Switching back to Windows XP cured the lag and made the system run like new.  I also tried Windows 7 32-bit on a early 2Ghz Socket 478 Pentium 4 (single-core) with 2GB RAM and it was very slow, and even single tasking had delays. I also had to force the old Intel 845 chipset to work with Windows XP drivers under Windows 7 since Intel stopped support for that chipset at XP with the motherboard manufactured in 2002.

322buick

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »
      Hi,
      Thanks for the response. As I posted, it's a 2007 PC. It was sorta Dell's version of a "builder" back then. This original motherboard has 4 slots and was made for 4gb of ram [which it's had for the last two years].
      I have two HD's in this and the other is XP Pro. You are right; it really flies when that one is running. I've got a Vista HD for this also. Works good but XP still performs best. I've reading that the Dell download center has a number of current updates for this. There is an especially large download for the ATI display adapter. Think I'll stop in there tomorrow and see if it helps. I'll letcha know how it works out.
      Thank you for the great, knowledgeable input. It really helps.
      T'care,
      Mike

322buick

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
        Mornin',
        Well Dell's display/video adapter update didn't help anything but didn't hurt anything either.

Think I'll just have to get used to giving it the 4 minutes it needs to wake up after sleep [or quit using sleep mode period]. Sometimes it freezes the pointer in place for that 4 minutes, sometimes not. I prefer the frozen pointer so I can't impatiently click away until I throw it into a multiple error meltdown. That forces it's own shutdown and the "pita__" aftermath.

Once up and running, it really works great so I'm OK with this oddity.

Thanks for your time and input.
        T'care,
        Mike

322buick

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
          I just tripped across something. You'll not believe what just fixed this. I just installed Firefox 20 [was I.E. 10] and my problem disappeared. I know this defies logic as the browser isn't supposed to be in the game when the desktop screen come's on but here I am seeing it "all fixed".
          Whoops. Wait a minute. If you are in sleep mode, the browser is still engaged with the last session. Makes sense now. Happy Camper [:-)

Just passing on info.
          Thanks again guys,
          Mike