Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird New Firefox Icon  (Read 4770 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Weird New Firefox Icon
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
I'm hating FF 20 more and more and more.

Today I've noticed that, after some time, a weird icon is popping up on the upper right corner of my screen. When I click or hover, I get no indication of anything. I've only noticed this today. I think it might be an eagle or a hawk on a perch, staring at me; it could also be a veal cutlet with a side of onion rings. I have no idea what it is.

I installed FF20 approximately 13 days ago; I've been using this laptop on a new client's network since Wednesday.

I have not noticed this icon popping up whilst connected via VPN, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been there and I just hadn't noticed.

I've also been receiving messages since last Friday about submitting data to Firefox's (rather, Mozilla's) "Test Pilot" / "Heat Map" project.

I have no idea if this is connected to any of this, or if I should even care.

I'm asking you all first instead of MozillaZone, as everyone here is a whole lot nicer and more helpful, and they're typically snarkier and holier-than-thou-er.

Thanks.

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Weird New Firefox Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
I don't think that's from Firefox...what add ons do you have ? ?...what happens if you hover over it or clik on it ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »
I havent seen this yet on my Firefox browser which is running most recent update. Is this image on every page in the corner or only certain sites?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
When I click or hover, I get no indication of anything.

Is this image on every page in the corner or only certain sites?
Once it appears, it's on every site.

I just realised I misspoke.

FF pushed 20 onto all of my machines two weeks ago. I didn't like what it did to screen spacing, functionality, etc., and my two options were to build a new profile (thereby losing all add-ons, etc.) or two retrograde to v 19.

I built new profiles on my other laptops, but the one I'm currently using is still running 19. So another hypothesis is, it could have something to do with that? (Perhaps it's an icon of a vulture lording over my dead version of Firefox!).

My automatic virus scans haven't turned anything up, I'm about to let it sit idle for a few and run Malware Bytes.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

redd

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:05:18 PM »
    Nope have not seen that before. Maybe a plugin? Not sure.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:58:08 AM »
    That looks a lot to me like the Mozilla Feedback / Test Pilot logo. Look in your addons for those and disable or remove it if you don't use it. It should only be installed in beta or alpha versions but it's possible you got it somehow.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:06:22 AM »
    Good catch Techno...
    His is scrunched up so i didn't recognise it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »
    That looks a lot to me like the Mozilla Feedback / Test Pilot logo. Look in your addons for those and disable or remove it if you don't use it. It should only be installed in beta or alpha versions but it's possible you got it somehow.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/test-pilot/