Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is FUD  (Read 37345 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What is FUD
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »
Google still uses your individual search history to better arrange search results. At least I think they have - if they haven't yet, I read somewhere that that's what they will be doing.
That's as bad as XML being Extensible Markup Language. What wasn't it called EML?

Actually, the original list of candidates was:
XML- Extensible Markup Language
MAGMA- Minimal Architecture for Generalized Markup Applications
SLIM- Structured Language for Internet Markup
MGML- Minimal Generalized Markup Language

It is on the mailing list where the discussion took place, and a local poll of these names, that Jon Bosak suggested previously the use of X instead of an E. Although it's not "officially" declared as the reason the acronym came by; but the E-mail reads:
In my opinion, the U-combinations [referring to previous suggestions, which presumably had u's) won't fly, but if we allow "X" to stand for "extensible", then I could live with (and even come to love) XML as an acronym for "extensible markup language", and I hereby now throw it into the list of current proposals.

More to the point, XML was first created around the mid nineties. Look at similar emerging technologies at the time. DirectX, ActiveX, Internet marketed as "extreme speed" etc, things like the XFL ("Extreme Football League") etc. Also, you can think of the X mathematically, as a placeholder for anything, which is sort of what XML is about, too.

Also, EML was sorta-kinda already taken by Extended ML.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, I think.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
Also kpac, think about windows XP. EXPerience.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

big Fab

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »
Urban Dictionary told me FUD was Scottish slang for a lady's naughty parts... :o

Yep, am from the West Coast (of Scotland), and Fud is definitely slang for 'lady-bits'. So if someone calls you 'A daft fud' they are insulting you! (Funny, I always imagined it being spelled with two 'd's - fudd!) I wonder if it is derived from Elmer Fudd (ah-hah!) who is a bit of a fanny!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
Yep, am from the West Coast (of Scotland), and Fud is definitely slang for 'lady-bits'. So if someone calls you 'A daft fud' they are insulting you! (Funny, I always imagined it being spelled with two 'd's - fudd!) I wonder if it is derived from Elmer Fudd (ah-hah!) who is a bit of a fanny!

Well done for reviving an 18 month old thread...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
Agreed...
Not to say it was FUD'd up to begin with...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "