Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: edit mode  (Read 3777 times)

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

edit mode
    « on: May 04, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
    W7, IE10.

I think it started with IE 8 or 9. I could no longer right click on a local HTML page and select Edit. It wasn't there. This was soooo handy. Instead, there is a PAGE tab at the top and when you click it, one of the selections is EDIT PAGE WITH NOTEPAD. Okay, I could live with that.

The problem is that IE10, sometimes the edit selection is there and sometimes it isn't. This is a real hassle, as then I have to go to the directory, right click the file, and OPEN WITH, to bring it up in NOTEPAD.

Anyone have a clue as to why that would be intermittant? Does anyone else experience this with IE10?

Thanks in  advance for any info.

I want to thank all the guys and gals at CH. I've been hitting it pretty hard lately. I've just been in the mood to get all these nagging little inconsistancies answered.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: edit mode
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
    I believe it's "intermittent" because the web designer can probably impose such a restriction on their pages. 

I'm curious about what your purpose.  I have the impression you just feel at liberty to grab any web page you feel like and do some experimental editing of it.  Are you trying to become a web developer?

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
      I can't see why you should get that feeling? I'm talking about MY web pages. Local HTML means pages that I use here on my computer for several different things that never go to the web.

I know nothing about anti-edit actions that could be put on web pages, and as I wrote them, I doubt they could be there - especially intermittantly.

Modified:
      I do of course, have web pages out there, also mine, and experience the same problems when editing them here before sending them up.
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:24:30 PM by Wyngs »

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:33 AM »
      I really can't see this as an issue.  You simply don't need to open web pages in Notepad or whatever you use to edit by opening from a right-click menu option within your browser. 

I suggest you get Notepad++ for a web page editor.  It's vastly better than Windows Notepad.  Notepad++ has a tabbed interface which allows you to have multiple pages open in it at the same time. 

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
        I appreciate the suggestion, but that isn't the issue. I was looking for clues as to why this is intermittant in IE10? I can't escape the feeling that it is something I'm doing here that causes that.

It is often handy, when you are looking to add something to a page, to be able to study the page as it is displayed with HTML, then being able to simply right click, or click on that PAGE tab to bring it up in NOTEPAD.

Thank you for your help. 

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 05:33:57 AM »
        Regarding the intermittent point, I encounter the same if viewing public web pages.  So, again, in that case, I'm sure this depends on how the page was developed.  Perhaps the hosting web server also has something to do with this.  As to why you get intermittent behavior from IE with pages you've developed, I have no idea without actually seeing your web page files. 

You can always view source by right clicking on the page and selecting View source from the menu or by clicking on Page on the Command Bar at the top of IE and selecting View source.  If you open a View-source panel, you can save it as a file.  Then, you could open that file with Notepad.