Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AHHHHHHHHHHHH Help!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 13222 times)

akfaka

AHHHHHHHHHHHH Help!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 10, 2005, 08:33:23 PM »
AHHHHHHHH! This is driving me crazy! I have two Win2K
a PC and a laptop. The two computers are networked via a hub. In term the is connected to a router which  connected to a DSL modem. The laptop and the PC are also connected via a Lan. They work perfectly.  

Recently, I got a WinXP machine to add to the network.
I can get it on the internet via the hub, but I just can't get it to connect to my Win2K machines.

When I go to My Network and to the Computers near me on my two Win2k machines, they can see the icon of the WinXP PC. But when I click on the icon, they give me this message says "\\chuck is not accessible. The network path was not found."

I thought it was the firewall so I turned it off, but it doesn't help. I try to use the network set up wizard to redo the network, but the wizard doesn't work.

What can I do? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

RayG

Re: AHHHHHHHHHHHH Help!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:41:20 PM »
Any possibility of ditching the hub altogether?

Have you assigned static IP addresses?

All three systems using the same Workgroup?

Are you using software firewalls?

RayG

Richar

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 05:51:27 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I can't ditch the hub because all my Win2K machines are connected to it. The WinXP machine is on the same workgroup as my Win2K machines. I did assigned a static IP address to it. All the TCP/IP are cofigured correctly, and I don't have software Firewall except the one embeded in WinXP, which I disabled.

One thing is I did get it to work for a day, I was able to transfer files from the WinXP PC to my Win2K PC. But all in a sudden, it stops working.

What else can be wrong?

Richard

rjbinney

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 01:26:46 PM »
Have you messed around with your Windows "Security" settings? If they don't mesh, you may be in trouble (i.e., you have File Sharing turned off on one machine, on on the other.... The conflict will cause you to see the machine's icon, but not what's on it.)

I wrestled with this and won... So if you're still having trouble, re-post and I will walk you through what *I* did, and we can see if that works.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 06:28:18 PM »
afaka:

The computers on your network will use the IP addresses to communicate with one another.  If the Internet Protocol is not configured correctly on every computer, they won't be able to talk to (or find) one another.  It will be like one is speaking English and the other two is speaking Chinese.  

Please tell us (1) the IP address and (2) the default gateway and (3) the subnet mask of each of the computers.  My guess is one or more is using private IP addressing (i.e., is using an IP address which starts with 169), and one or more is using an IP address assigned by the computer which is acting as the DHCP server (i.e., is using an IP address that begins with 192).

On each machine, do this:

1. Click Start | Run
2. In the Run box, type IPCONFIG /ALL and click OK.
3. Write down the three items listed in the above paragraph and type the information in your next reply.

Doc

akfaka

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:50:16 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

rjbinney, can you walk me through the security setting, I don't hnow that much about WinXP, thanks.

Doc, all three machines are using the same gateway-192.168.2.1 For security reason, I disabled the DHCP server on the router and assigned static IP for each computer, my W2k laptop is 192.168.2.2, W2K desktop is 192.168.2.3 and my housemate's WMe is 192.168.2.3,
which by the way, is not part of my LAN and the WinXP is 192.168.2.4.  

RayG

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 06:50:23 AM »
You've assigned the same static IP address to two different machines.

RayG

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 07:41:38 AM »
And that surely doesn't work!

akfaka

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 07:49:32 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sorry guys, I didn't assign the same IP to the two computers I just typed it wrong. Here is the IP assignment.

rjbinney, can you walk me through the security setting, I don't hnow that much about WinXP, thanks.

Doc, all three machines are using the same gateway-192.168.2.1 For security reason, I disabled the DHCP server on the router and assigned static IP for each computer, my W2k laptop is 192.168.2.2, W2K desktop is 192.168.2.3 and my housemate's WinMe is 192.168.2.4 which by the way, is not part of my LAN and the WinXP is 192.168.2.5.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 04:50:33 PM »
akfaka:

You still need to let us know the subnet mask for each machine (it should be the same for each).

Let us know.

Is the Windows XP firewall still disabled?

Are there software firewalls on any of the Windows 2000 machines that should be disabled?

Doc
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:04:22 PM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 05:02:55 PM »
... I try to use the network set up wizard to redo the network, but the wizard doesn't work...

Richard:

If you tried the Network Setup Wizard on the Windows XP machine, it will (depending on what options you chose) try to (1) make itself the DHCP server or (2) look for a DHCP server on your network.

Make sure the IP protocol is still set to use a static IP address.  Make sure you have each static IP address in the LMHOSTS file of the Windows XP machine.  Make sure you added the static IP address to the LMHOSTS file of each of the Windows 2000 machines. (Alternately, you may add the IP addresses to the HOSTS file on all three machines.)

Verify that Enable LMHOSTS Lookup is checked (you may find it in the Advanced TCP/IP settings when you select the WINS tab).

Confirm that each machine is configured to use a workgroup with exactly the same workgroup name.

Make sure you have shared folders on the Windows XP machine to allow the user names and passwords on  the Windows 2000 machines to have access to the Windows XP machine.

Let us know how it works out.
Doc
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 06:37:27 PM by pcdoc4christ »