Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to run Robocopy  (Read 12855 times)

recruiter

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Unable to run Robocopy
    « on: May 23, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
    I have a computer that is running Vista HP on its original C\: drive, that has a maintainance program that was preinstalled on my pc. I also purchased Vista Ultimate (retail version), that is installed as a dual boot. I originally ran HP for the business, running a program that used Sql Server, but it became corrupted, and was unable to be fixed, so I abandoned the drive with HP (C:\) and only use the drive with Ultimate (M:\) on it.
    I realize you cannot simply copy a program from one drive to another, because it will not result in an installed program. I am hoping that Robocopy will be my answer.  I tried the following steps:
    I created a folder on my M:\ drive, the drive I now use, with the same program name as the original program on C:\.  I then tried to run a command prompt script, with Administrative priviledges. 
    ROBOCOPY C:\Program Files\[program name] M:\Program Files\[program name]
    Each time I run it, I get an error message:
    Robocopy is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    I realize I may have been able to add several switches to the script, but for some reason, my computer doesn't even want to recognize the Robocopy command.
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dave

Salmon Trout

Re: Unable to run Robocopy
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
    open a command prompt and type

echo %path%

and then post here (by copy and paste) what the response is.

Salmon Trout

Re: Unable to run Robocopy
    « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
    Robocopy.exe is located in the folder C:\windows\system32\ and your PATH system variable needs to include that folder. If it does not then it may have been mangled. Also your dual boot setup may be interfering with things. If you have an HP system restore CD you may be able to restore the maintenance program, whatever it is.

I realize you cannot simply copy a program from one drive to another, because it will not result in an installed program. I am hoping that Robocopy will be my answer.

You cannot simply copy a program from one drive to another, and, in general, you can't Robocopy a program either. Robocopy is just a smarter front end to the Windows file copying functionality.