Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: freeing up space  (Read 6998 times)

marybeth

freeing up space
« on: July 17, 2004, 08:06:43 AM »
not sure if this is ok to do in this area but i have a problem. im in dos and am trying to free up space to download windows 95 but because i only have a prompt on screen i am not sure how to do it. can anyone help? thank you in advance

MalikTous

Re: freeing up space
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 09:45:06 AM »
To free up space in DOS... Copy stuff you want to some convenient storage media (CDRW drive, tape drive, floppy...) before deleting it. Put the line set dircmd=/a /p in AUTOEXEC.BAT so your dir command shows all files and displays them a page at a time, and use ATTRIB command to clear Readonly, System, and Hidden bits from superfluous files (like in the %temp% directory) before deleting them. Check the %temp% directory (should be c:\temp or c:\windows\temp, but some setups actually use the c:\dos directory...) and delete all TMP files. Empty any 'delete catcher' or 'recycle bin' directories.

Downloading Win95? If you're trying to get a pirate copy of an OS, give it up and get Linux...

marybeth

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 05:32:47 PM »
THANK YOU MALIKTOUS FOR YOUR QUIICK REPLY, BUT I AM SO STUPID WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS. AND AM STILL HAVING THE PROBLEM. I DIDNT MAKE A BACK UP CAUSE THERE ISNT ANYTHING IN THERE NEED. OK ON C: I PUT IN ATTRIB ANDIT SHOWS STUFF LIKE SETUPLOG.TXT THEN NEXT TO IT IT SAYS C:\SETUPLOG.TEXT BUT IF I PUT THAT IN THE C PROMP SPACE IT SAYS BAD COMMAND. SO THERE I AM, IM SURE YOUR THINKING OH GOODNESS WHAT A DIP BUT IM REALLY NOT. JUST KIND OF PUTER ILLITERATE.  AND NO IM NOT GETTING A PIRATE COPY, I BOUGHT THE DISC FROM A COMPUTER STORE.   THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 11:20:02 AM »
Please fix the sticky shift key or disable the caps lock, that's just annoying...

What size hard drive is this? If you have a HD over 2 GB, you should have Win95 OSR2 or later, and use the option for 'Large' hard drives when you repartition so you get FAT32 partitions.

You use attrib like this:
attrib -r -h -s setuplog.txt

Then you can use
type setuplog.txt /p

to view the file, or you can delete it, or whatever else you want to do with it. DIR /a just lets you see all the files regardless of whether they are hidden or system flagged.

Entering a command like
attrib /?
will cause it to display a set of instructions. If you have a copy of DOS 6.22 with the QBASIC and HELP files, you have a better reference than the '/?' option.