Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to stop IE from auto connecting - Help please!  (Read 3292 times)

prince

How to stop IE from auto connecting - Help please!
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:25:27 AM »
Internet Explorer automatically connects when turning on laptop (which is on dial-up and has latest McAfee Firewall & Anti Virus software). Is this a hijack virus? So, now when using my laptop,I have to disconnect the phone line to stop dial-up automatically connecting. When requiring the internet, I've had to plug the phone line back in when turning on the computer, as this is the only method of connecting now. If I leave the phone line connected to the laptop, Internet Explorer automatically dials up and connects. If I then disconnect the connection to my ISP and leave the line plugged in, Explorer will again automatically dial-up. But, if I wish to connect myself, while connected to the phone line, I am unable to. HOW TO GET RID OF THIS ANNOYING (AND COSTLY) BUG? Any suggestions gratefully received.

GX1_Man

Re: How to stop IE from auto connecting - Help ple
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 08:14:11 AM »
IE version?  Windows version? Have you updated? Updates/ What happened prior to all of this? Have you protected your system against spyware/adware/virii?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:14:28 AM by GX1_Man »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 08:30:36 AM »
    As above plus
    IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Never Dial a Connection.

prince

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 06:32:18 PM »
    Thanks for speedy response guys, but "Never Dial a Connection" has always been selected. I also have all the latest updates and latest version of Spybot. My computer is simply being hijacked every time I turn it on - when phone line is connected. Any other ideas?
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:33:49 PM by prince »

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 01:56:58 AM »
        Download & run Cwshredder and if that doesn't stop it then download & run Hijackthis.