Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting "Strike f1 to retry boot" "Error Code 0141 - No Drive Detected"  (Read 16848 times)

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

I'm running Windows 7 on a DELL XPS.

Before this happened a disk scan was running and I reset the computer before it was finished. It restarted the first time, but by the time I got back to the computer it was on the "Strike f1 to retry boot" screen.

I've tried turning on CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK & SCROLL LOCK and hitting ALT - E,F,B, but that did not seem to work. I don't know if I did the combination work or something, but I tried a variety of combos and none of them seemed to work.

I also tried reloading the default settings in the Boot options menu and that did not seem to help either. I've read resetting the BIOS is a possible solution, but I'm not sure what the next step is at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

* UPDATE: I just ran a diagnostics test and it said Error Code 0141 - No Drive Detected
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:34:08 AM by screen_name »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Its having issues detecting the hard drive. What is the exact make/model number of this computer?

Curious as to why you didnt allow it to finish properly? Did it take forever getting hung at a certain point of the scandisk in which you told it to reboot because it was not progressing further?

I have a strong feeling you will need to replace the hard drive. The system sensed an issue with the drive before it died and it attempted a scandisk to try to repair, and right now it sounds like the issue with the drive got worse from the point in which the system detected a scandisk was necessary to correct for errors.

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hey Dave, thanks for the reply.

It's a Studio XPS 9100 with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU [email protected]

I didn't allow it to finish because it had taken hours and I was being impatient and wanted to get something off the computer. It had not frozen - it just was at a part where it said certain files couldn't be read and each one was taking awhile to go through. Needless to say, I didn't save any time in doing so...

If you have any advice or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Either way, thanks for your time.

DaveLembke

Sage
      Nice Computer!  If the BIOS does not detect a hard drive, the drive is in really rough shape and would likely have to go to a data recovery center to get the data recovered which is not cheap.

If the drive which looks to be a 2TB drive according to online specs, was detected by the BIOS, but had issues with bad sectors and corruption I would suggest performing a repair installation to the hard drive and then copying all important data off of that drive to another drive or USB pen/thumb drive asap and replacing that drive with a new drive.

If you do not have the system recovery media for this system you will need to get that from Dell. Last time I priced it out it was like $40 to order one. This system recovery media set allows you to install the operating system and any bundled software to a new hard drive. These media sets come in DVD as well as USB Pen/Thumbdrive form from the computer manufacturer. I prefer the DVD if there is a choice, since thumb drives get lost too easily in my home and I have a binder for important discs.

*As far as trying to get that hard drive you have now to boot to get data off of it. I have heard of people chilling their hard drive in the refrigerator and then quickly connecting it and trying to get it to function, but I am not a fan of plugging in electronic devices that are cold in a warmer room that causes condensation to collect on the device. If you had a computer you didnt care about that functioned that you wanted to attempt accessing this troubled drive chilled with, I'd go that route vs taking the chance of destroying a really sweet computer system with a damp chilled hard drive that causes say 12volts to stray to a 5 volt signal and blow your SATA controller on the main board.

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks man.

I don't think I received any discs with this computer, so I'd probably have to order it. I actually still have the discs from my previous two computer in a booklet like you mentioned, but I don't remember getting any with this one because I think I would have filed them with the others.

Do you think I should just renew my warranty with Dell? They said it would cover everything - parts, installation and tech support. If I'm going to need a new drive, that alone would be worth the price.

I have the entire computer backed up on a Western Digital External Drive, but I would like to get the last week of stuff off there as well, but I have the bulk of it already in storage. I also hear you with running the risk of messing up the rest of the system. I also saw something about taking the old hard drive and installing it as a second drive just to get the data off it. Do you think that is another possible route to take?

Well I definitely appreciate the support and ideas. Let me know if you think the next best move would be, and thanks again for everything. I really do appreciate it.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        If the current HDD is moved to an external enclosure and/or hooked up as a slave drive on a working PC you will be able to retrieve all your data...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks Patio. I didn't know about either of those options until you mentioned them.

Should I try and do some system recovery before attempting to recover the data, or does this hard drive look to basically be toast aside from extracting the data from it?

In the manual it says you can use the "Dell DataSafe Local Backup to restore your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased your computer, while preserving the data files." Would running that help with this issue, or is that an entirely different manner?

Dave - I found a Drivers & Utilities disc, along with a Drivers & Documentations disc - would running either one of those help?

Thanks again for all the help guys - very grateful for it.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Although the Dell Recovery method works i have seen where it is used and all apps and data are gone...PC back to Day 1 status...
          Not saying it'll happen in your case...just something to be aware of.
          If it were my data i would try the retrieval methods above 1st before attempting any more fixes.
          Once your data is secure 2 things you can try before running the Dell Recovery...
          A) Boot to the Win 7 advanced boot menu and run the Startup Repair...or
          B) You may have to do this from a Win7 DVD which i just remembered you do not have...but if you can borrow 1 it'll work.

Keep us posted

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

I hear you, I'd rather not risk everything for a quick fix.

I'm going to renew my warranty and let them replace the hard drive, and then I'll try and set up as a slave drive or use an eternal enclosure to get the remaining data off the old hard drive.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            Best bet...
            If you purchase an external get 1 with A/C power.
            Some nicer Models accomodat all HDD sizes ...Handy.
            Mine is a Buffalo and also has a switchable fan in the enclosure.

P.S. The Manuf. may request you run the Recovery before sending it in...so i'd get your data now.
            P.S.S. Is this an SSD HDD ? ?

In future never interrupt a disk-level activity...nothing good can come of it.

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Yeah, hopefully they let me pick the replacement, although I think they just replace it with the factory hard drive, which isn't SSD. But if they give me a free pick, I'll run some options by you before choosing.

They said they would send a tech guy to my house to replace it if I go that route, so I'll get the data off onto this computer before they touch the hard drive. Do you think I should let them try and trouble shoot over the phone before taking the slave drive route? Also, if I replace the hard drive, can I then hook the old one up on as slave drive as the same computer?

Thanks again for everything, and yeah, lesson learned with interrupting during a disk scan. Definitely won't ever do that again.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              One step at a time...
              Slave Drive Tutorial...
              This is assuming you have no external enclosure ...so use that method.

NOTE: If it is a SATA HDD it needs to be connected to a SATA #3 or higher #'rd slot so it doesn't try to boot.

2nd. If you want to try the troubleshoot method by phone by all means go for it...IF you have your data saved.

3rd If they send a tech he probably will not let you keep the HDD...that being said if he's nice about it and in fact does leave it then by all means you can hook it up as a secondary HDD for storage...
              But don't count on it.

Again...Best of Luck and keep us posted.

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hey Patio - you were right.

I spoke to DELL tech support today and they said they would send a tech who would take the hard drive with him, so I would have to get any of the data off the hard drive myself before he comes.

Do you think I should try the slave drive route or go with the external enclosure, and if so, what kind of external enclosure should I purchase?

Anyways, thanks again for the help and advice. I really appreciate it.

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Another update for anyone interested in this saga . . .

I burned a Puppy Linux onto a CD and then booted off the CD. When Puppy loaded the old hard drive was still nowhere to be found. I hooked up an external hard drive and that showed up fine, but the old hard drive was MIA.

Is it safe to assume the hard drive is dead? Or should I keep trudging on?

DaveLembke

Sage
                  If the drive is not detected by the BIOS, its not going to be accessible internally as well as may likely not be addressable if connected via an external enclosure.

If there was any important data that you really need, it would have to go to a data recovery center or Dell may offer data recovery services at a cost above what the extended warranty cost you if its not included. The cheapest data recovery offer I have seen was with Western Digital offering under RMA terms to transfer all my data off the troubled drive to a replacement hard drive. I chose to keep my external hard drive vs pay the $180 because the only problem with the external drive was that the LCD display was not working that showed information about the drives free space etc, and if it was that important to have this LCD display back I could just buy a new external with this feature for $120. But this feature was just part of the drive and I could always just check drive statistics under Windows to see how much free space remains etc.

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hey Dave. What do you think about swapping the SATA cable and ports? Or maybe removing the CMOS battery in case of a bad MB setting? Maybe I'm just being delusional, but I really feel like this hard drive could still be fixed.

I'll definitely check out Western Digital's data recovery service. I checked out some others and the prices seemed pretty insane. I have 99% of the data backed up on an external hard drive, so I might just chalk it up as a loss depending on the price.

I also know DELL is sending a guy to install a new hard drive on Tuesday, so if worst comes to worst it will be resolved in that manner. But I'd like to try and fix it before he gets here, since I believe he will just replace it, rather than fix it.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    Try it in an enclosure...or hooked up as a slave in a working PC...those are your 2 choices before you run outta time here...

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hey Patio, I'm going to try the Thermaltake Max 5 Drive tonight.

I also booted Ubuntu from a USB and when I shut down this appeared...

Anyone have any thoughts on this attachment?

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

screen_name

Topic Starter

Rookie

Installed a new hard drive, so the computer is back to normal.

I also put the old hard drive in an external enclosure and it didn't show up on either computer I tried it on. I plugged it into the back USB ports and still got nothing on either one.

So I assume data recovery is the next step?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                        ...So I assume data recovery is the next step?

...I'll definitely check out Western Digital's data recovery service. I checked out some others and the prices seemed pretty insane. I have 99% of the data backed up on an external hard drive, so I might just chalk it up as a loss depending on the price...

Lesson Learned?
                        Backup all your docs, pics, etc. to CD's, DVD's, flash drives, hard drives or combination, thereof.
                        Create image backups of the hard drive, so you can go back to any time when everything was working.