Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor problems, is it the monitor or graphics driver?  (Read 2705 times)

dea4

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Monitor problems, is it the monitor or graphics driver?
    « on: June 18, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
    I have been having trouble with my monitor, for a while it would go to sleep and when I'd wake it, it would go black and I'd have to turn it off and turn it back on, it would flash and go back off. I'd continue to turn it off and on until it seemed to "warm up" and then it would stay on.  It hasn't done that in a while, but now what it does is when I wake it up from sleep, if I open my mail or a webpage right away, it will go black. If I turn it off and back on, it flashes.  If I can get the mail or page to close by trying to place my mouse where the "x" would be to close the page and then turn it off and back on, it will stay on, as long as the page is open, it only flashes. If I wait a bit and don't open anything for a minute or so then I can open whatever and it doesn't go black, it happens only when I wake it from sleep and open something right away.   Does this sound like my monitor is going out or is it possibly a graphics card issue?  I run Windows 7 and my monitor is an LCD probably 6 to 8 years old.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor problems, is it the monitor or graphics driver?
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
    Probably the monitor. LCD and LED displays are cheap these days and have better refresh rates if you game. I have an old Dell LCD 17" and it blurs when there is motion in games and its the display that is the cause. If you have a spare display or a friend who can loan you their display that is the best test. If none are available for testing, then I'd buy a new display.

When GPUs fail they cause other symptoms that are not correctable by turning monitor on and off.

dea4

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
      okay thanks! Tried the monitor on my sons computer, did the same thing.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
      There you have it...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "