Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will my old graphics card (works maybe) damage my new computer?  (Read 5196 times)

Fuzzycompfreak

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I have a computer with a problem. See, I used a construction air compressor to dust it off, which had moisture and alot of power :-\ . I thought there wouldn't be that much moisture, I'm betting I was wrong. Now my computer likes to freeze at random times, sometimes it will last 10 seconds, sometimes 3 hours, sometimes 5 hours, or 10 minutes, you never know. I don't know what part is bad, and I am not here for help diagnosing that. What I want to know is... Will my graphics card (which might be damaged as a result another part of the computer, or the air compressor that day) damage my new computer I plan to buy in a few weeks? ???

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Will my old graphics card (works maybe) damage my new computer?
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:19:40 AM »
    If it isn't currently damaging the computer that it is in I don't see why it would. If there was something seriously wrong with the graphics card e.g. a short circuit, then it have already killed your current PC.

I would like to stress the point though that, without a PCI-E electrical test, there is no way to know for sure. I would just say that it is very unlikely to cause any lasting ill affects to a new computer.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
    If there is any doubt about the health of hardware, I wouldnt introduce it to new hardware and take that risk. If I had a spare system that was healthy that I didnt care if it smoke showed, I'd try the card in that first before installing it into a new computer.

Also unless this videocard was one that was a gamers dream to own, I'd buy a new video card for the new system to make say an off the shelf $348 wallmart special desktop dual-core tower into a gaming computer. I would also likely have to install a more powerful PSU to go with the card. But I would also really look the computer over before buying it to make sure that it can take a universal power supply and is not a odd dimension PSU unit designed for this low cost computer, as well as make sure that this computer comes with a PCIe 16x slot for a video card to be installed to. With systems with APU's out there, you might find a computer that is low cost, low end, that is lacking key upgrade features, as well as if the APU is an AMD C60 you pretty much have a new computer that has the processing power of a 10 year old computer, but its GREEN due to much lower power needs than CPUs of 10 years ago!  ;D

I wasnt impressed with the processing power of the low cost Walmart computers although the prices were pretty good for anyone needing a computer that is new, and not for gaming out of the box.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »
    I have heard of a chain of dead computers caused by a (finally realised to be faulty) graphics card.

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:19:09 AM »
    Really? You're going to advise buying a new computer and components over the minuscule risk that that graphics card may blow up another computer?

I have heard of a chain of dead computers caused by a (finally realised to be faulty) graphics card.

We're not starting with a dead pc in this situation though are we. Why would the graphics card destroy a new pc but not the original? We don't even know what's wrong the pc, it could be a hard drive fault or corrupted software.

If you're really that worried then enquire at your local pc repair shop to test the graphics card.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
    my new computer I plan to buy in a few weeks?

They already stated they are buying a new one in a few weeks ... wasnt my suggestion!

Regarding miniscule risk ..... I guess you haven't burned anything up and lost money!   I have seen people burn up new computer parts and systems and cry when the warranty doesnt cover user induced accidents. One such example was a hard drive from old computer that was struck by lightning installed in new computer and somehow the 12V made its way to the SATA Comm... There was a miniscule risk, and it smoked a brand new $800 computers SATA controller! They attempted to send it back for warranty replacement and at the computer shop they bought it from and they rejected the warranty claim. Had they purchased the extended warranty that covered everything and anything for an additional fee the computer shop would have replaced it.... How is that for a very sad day for a computer user!  ::)

Fortunately they contacted me and the cheapest fix was to add a new $35 SATA controller card in a PCIe slot since they couldnt return it!!!  And throw away that lightning struck HDD.

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:18:02 AM »
    The 12V rail somehow connected to the SATA!? That must have been some sort of "bad miracle", which there doesn't appear to a word for.

But I have to reiterate for this topic that the broken PC is not dead. I am aware that I can't say there is no danger but I don't think that advising going to Wal-Mart is good computing advise. Computer Hope: "Something wrong with your computer? Buy a new one."

My answer and final word on the matter (unless the OP has questions) to "Will my possibly damaged graphics card damage my new computer?" is Maybe but probably not.