Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web Site Server ?  (Read 15041 times)

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    Web Site Server ?
    « on: June 28, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Im trying to setup a server to host a site from.  It says that in the description that it can be used for  e-commerce Web sites but, not sure what that means.  Also, hardware limitations of the machine will let me probably run only this version year

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: Web Site Server ?
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:53:44 AM »
    11 cheers for binary !

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »
      ok, so its not good to use for just running a site

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »
      Is the website going to be open to anyone, or is it just for testing, and therefore an internal site only?

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
        No, I was going to make it Public.  I know that I would have to set the DHCP an everything too

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
        Ah, I was just asking because I would've gone a different route if it was to be private, something easier.
        I wouldn't necessarily advise running a web server from home, a) it's usually against the terms of service of most internet service providers, and b) security risks.  Running a web server means opening up that server, and hence your network, to the outside world to a greater degree than just browsing.  I myself wouldn't want to take the risk, not when web hosting is available for free.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
          I didnt want to have to deal with the ad's an limitations.  Also, I will have to do this at work too :(  Standard wouldnt be good to use :/

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
          What is the purpose of this "server" going to be ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
            Just to run an host a site

camerongray

Expert
              • Yes
              • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
            I didnt want to have to deal with the ad's an limitations.  Also, I will have to do this at work too :(  Standard wouldnt be good to use :/

You'll only get ads if you use free hosting which I would generally advise against.  If you take into account the cost of electricity to run that server 24/7 you would easily be able to get a paid, ad-free web hosting plan.  You would probably also want to get a static IP to run the server at home which would also cost money.  This would also be faster as webservers will usually have 100mbps or even gigabit upload speeds compared to a very high end home connection which would usually get around 10mbps.  You also don't need to worry about security.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
            Yes, using Microsoft server from home is not a good idea. Except for experimentation.

Many, many companies offer very low cost web hosting at prices lower that what you pay to keep a home  computer running all day and night. Typical is about $2 per month for a basic sit with most features you would like. That is right. Two dollars a month, not $20 a month some  say you must pay. If your traffic is light, the low-cost host is good enough for a small business.

About  e-commerce, a common practices of some professionals is to link to a more web site for the transaction. First the customer finds an item of interest, then hi clicks a button to order ad pay.  Information is passed to the secure that takes his personal information and placers the order. Then  it returns the customer back to the regular web site. On such service is PayPal, part of the eBay company. This is very easy to use and the merchant only pays when thee is a transaction, no month fee required.

I will not recommend any. Thee are too many. But you do not need to pay more that $2 per month and no setup fee. Times have changed. We site space is now the best low cost bargain for any business.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 08:16:59 PM »
              You'll only get ads if you use free hosting which I would generally advise against.  If you take into account the cost of electricity to run that server 24/7 you would easily be able to get a paid, ad-free web hosting plan.  You would probably also want to get a static IP to run the server at home which would also cost money.  This would also be faster as webservers will usually have 100mbps or even gigabit upload speeds compared to a very high end home connection which would usually get around 10mbps.  You also don't need to worry about security.

This is all true, sorry I just got the other OS that I was going to use but, I wanted to get it up an working cause, I still have to do this for work too.