Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?  (Read 44769 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?
    « on: July 03, 2013, 06:25:07 AM »
    Been reading the mixed reviews for Win 8. I am running XP on a 7 year old PC. Sooner or later I will have to replace my PC and I will have to go with Win 8 or convert to an Apple product. I was thinking about converting now so I can get on with the learning curve but really do not want the hassle.

Is there any reason to convert to Win 8 now? Maybe by the time I need a new PC, MS will have made Win 8 easier to use. Thanks for your feedback.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Should I Convert Now or Wait until April 2014?
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:59:05 AM »
    I wouldn't count on Windows 8 changing dramatically in terms of its interface between now and next year.  Windows 8.1 adds a few small tweaks, but the overall "look and feel" remain the same, as expected.

Have you tried Windows 8 yourself yet, or just read reviews and opinions?  I find the best way to make a decision about something like this is to jump in and force yourself to use it.  I did that when I converted from an old school Blackberry to an Android phone, using a touchscreen phone for the first time in my life was a major change for me and in the end the only way I could do it was to put my Blackberry somewhere out of the way to stop myself reaching back for it every time I got frustrated with the touchscreen and forcing myself to use the Android.  After a week or so, I got used to it, and enjoyed it much more than the BB.  I then went through a similar process when I changed from that phone, which had a hardware keyboard, to my current one, which doesn't.  I had to go to the extreme of selling my old phone because I'm still finding this a hard adjustment to make.  Where does this relate to computers?  Sorry!  What I was going to say is I didn't like Windows 7 at all on release, I tried it for a day or two and went back to XP.  I eventually did force myself to use it for a week, and never looked back!

Realistically, you'll have to upgrade one day, and whether we like it or not, Windows 8 is the future of Windows.  If you haven't given it a good trial, do so, if you can, and try to go in open minded.  Windows 7 is still available if you really, really don't get on with Windows 8.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
    What is the significance of April 2014?

Windows 8.1 is scheduled to be released later this year; I don't believe the exact date has been announced yet.  But, you could wait for it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
    What is the significance of April 2014?

XP goes end of life April 1st, 2014 - no more security updates.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
    It'll still run fine...
    Heck there's still tons of Win98 PC's in service...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:17 AM »
    Sure, it's not like April 1st is a kill switch or anything...but I wouldn't want to run an OS with security holes that are no longer being plugged.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
    I still have a Win2K PC that runs 24/7...zero issues.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »
    I still have a Win2K PC that runs 24/7...zero issues.

I've never been hit by a bus while crossing the street, but I still look both ways.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
    I read that Windows 7 support will go on to 2020.
    Now if that is true, one could  have 7 years more to decide to get  Windows 8.
    By then Windows 9 might  be available,
      -but Windows 8 will show up in surplus stores.  :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »
    I've never been hit by a bus while crossing the street, but I still look both ways.
    Excellent point...i always look both ways as well...

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 02:52:29 AM »
      Thanks for all of the responses. Think I will stand pat for now.

andrasdeak19

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 04:07:37 AM »
        I was thinking about upgrading but everyone I talked to tells me horror stories about their experience with Windows 8 so I'm definitely holding out for a bit before I upgrade from 7

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 07:03:54 AM »
        Upgrade when you have a reason.   :D
        If somebody has a application for Windows 8 that can ....
          ... solve unemployment;
           ... cure cancer;
          ...  bring world peace.;
        Then go for it!

andrasdeak19

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
          lol I was thinking when they start supporting Windows 7 less, but those are better reasons :D

SuperTweaker

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
          Glad I found this site, I see lot's of good stuff here and I have been helping people myself for over 12 years with Windows OSes.  Hello to everyone.

My best advise with XP is to not upgrade the system to either W7 or W8.  The guts of the machine are just going to be lack-luster for newer technology.

I have been recommending to all of my contacts to buy a new W7 64 Bit machine online long before XP is no longer supported by Windows Updates, followed quickly by no support from any anti-virus or anti-malware companies.

I have tried Windows 8 and the upgrade to 8.1 (I have to, I'm in the business).  I do not recommend W8 to anyone who enjoys using a keyboard and mouse.  The only people W8 is going to appeal to are touch-screen, smart-phone and tablet users.  I did several poll searches about W8 and how the world has embraced it.  For all intents and purposes 75% do not like W8 and 25% do.

I did the same type of search for W7 both 64 and 32 Bit.  Everyone who purchased a new W7 64 Bit desktop or laptop "liked" W7 after getting use to a few minor changes from XP.  Plus, W7 can be made to look and behave almost exactly the same as XP. (never buy a low end machine)

My sense of what will happen after W9 is released is this: Microsoft will most likely give the user the opportunity to choose (during setup) whether they want a more traditional desktop display or one for touch-screens.

In the meantime, if you are an XP user and can afford a new W7 PC should buy it online before they are hard to find. Already, many Home Premium versions have been purchased at amazon.com and tigerdirect.com .  AND, if you are a gamer or video editor you want to make sure you have at least 8GB of Memory, a Multiple Core CPU and a very decent onboard video module. IMHO it's always best to upgrade your gaming PC with a  better Power Supply that would match your Standalone Video Card.

Hope that helps and it's good to be a new member here. At age 59, I enjoy learning and sharing with everyone. :)

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
          Somewhere I saw an article that said, in effect, that Windows XP is FREE when you get Windows 8.Now it that is true, then you can still get Windows XP whenever you buy Windows 8.   ;D

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »
          My best advise with XP is to not upgrade the system to either W7 or W8.  The guts of the machine are just going to be lack-luster for newer technology.
          This really depends on the hardware specs.  Many systems running XP will run W7 or W8 adequately for many users; of course, I'm not talking about online gamers.  But, for email, web browsing, word processing, etc., many older systems will run W7 and W8 adequately.  I have W7 on a Pentium 4, 4GB of RAM (3.5 recognized since it's a 32-bit machine), a 250GB SATA hard drive, and an old-ish Nvidia FX6200 (256MB) AGP8 video card.  I have Office 2007 installed.  I've been using WLM (Windows Live Mail) for POP email but I think I'm going to change email over to Outlook 2007.  I do some occasional photo editing and occasionally Skype, with or without video (webcam). 

Microsoft's system requirements for both W7 and W8 are quite modest.  Granted, I would not want to run either OS on a system with only the minimum system requirements but, even with the old Pentium 4, my system is significantly better than those system requirements. 

I do not recommend W8 to anyone who enjoys using a keyboard and mouse.  The only people W8 is going to appeal to are touch-screen, smart-phone and tablet users.
          Well, at this point, most computer shoppers see no options.  For months now, W8 is the only OS on new Windows computers being sold in brick-and-mortar retail stores.  Most folks aren't attuned to searching for "new" computers running W7. 

And, regarding use of keyboard and mouse, W8 can easily be used in that manner.  I bought a laptop with W8 about 4 months ago.  Like most laptops, it did not come with a touch-capable screen. 

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »
          Somewhere I saw an article that said, in effect, that Windows XP is FREE when you get Windows 8.Now it that is true, then you can still get Windows XP whenever you buy Windows 8.   ;D

No truth to this at all...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
          No truth to this at all...
          Then somebody should tell MS to stop letting people have it free.
          If your Windows 8 is GWA, then you can download the  VM for XP at no charge.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »
          Then somebody should tell MS to stop letting people have it free.
          They don't.

If your Windows 8 is GWA
          GWA isn't any OS-related acronym I've ever heard.

then you can download the  VM for XP at no charge.
          No you cannot.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
          I Officialy give up....

SuperTweaker

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »
          It's not just that a Windows XP computer's devices might be able to surpass minimum requirements for Windows 7, it's the age factor of the machine as well.

If someone has a 10 year old PC that has been used for hours every day they will be replacing Power Supply Units, CPU's, CPU and Chassis fans, disk burners and the worst case scenario, the motherboard.

If it's 10 years old it would make a good backup computer to stuff away in a closet and have on hand should any new W7 computer need some maintenance.

I personally have recommended this to all of my customers.  They soon realize how good it feels to know there is a "backup computer" should anything go wrong with their primary computer.

We all have good ideas and perhaps my philosophy on having two computers is based on my drumming this advise over and over again through the years, "backup your files and system!"

Amazing how many people do not make a system image - it's just mind boggling.  ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »
          it's the age factor of the machine as well.
          Computers are not cars. Their performance does not degrade with time. The only things that degrade over time are mechanical components such as fans and disk motors, but generally these either work or don't work at all.

That said, your 2-PC concept has merit, since with an XP machine that met the requirements you would still need to buy Win7 anyway- may as well have that cost subsidized as part of a new computer.

Amazing how many people do not make a system image - it's just mind boggling.  ???
          I don't. I think it's a waste of time. I just back up important data. I don't want my backup storage to be filled with Windows and Application crap that I can reinstall. I'd much rather back up years of work than something that took a few hours.

Of course for your average user the main concern is just being able to use the system, and Imaging usually allows for the fastest way to "get back" to a working system.

SuperTweaker

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 06:22:32 AM »
          I don't. I think it's a waste of time. I just back up important data.

To each his own.  Who on earth would want to take hours to reinstall every program and every Windows Update etc. if their system got infected or the HDD failed?  W7 has it's own System Backup app and there is an excellent free one called  EaseUS Todo at Cnet.com .  I happen to use a more complex program for partitioning and backing up my drives but the average user doesn't need all those features.

A typical time-frame for someone with an useable system or a failed HDD would be about 6 to 24 hours to install a fresh Windows OS and all their programs.  In some cases, important data cannot be saved when it comes to gamers. They may have hundreds or thousands of downloaded files that cannot be saved in the Programs directory.

Coping the system image back to the C :Drive from a secondary drive be it an External HDD or an Internal HDD takes only an hour (on avg) for a C :Drive that has about 40GB of used space. I don't think the average PC user uses more than 200GB of space unless they are music or video collectors. In either case, the system image contains not only all the Service Packs, Anti-Virus data updates and program updates, it also includes their collection of music and videos.

You're opinion that backing up a system is "a waste of time" is relevant to you, not to other people around the world.  In fact, your "waste of time" comment is contrary to most every IT professionals opinion from system administrators to the guy in a remote area who may still be using dialup because broadband is not available. That person would have to experience agony trying to get caught-up with all the Windows Updates and other downloads.

Waste of time, no.  Smart and fast solution to a catastrophic HDD or system infection, yes.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
          Who on earth would want to take hours to reinstall every program and every Windows Update etc. if their system got infected or the HDD failed? 
          A person who would rather use that back-up space to continue to backup consistently changing information that represents years of work. Installing Operating systems and applications is a few hours of pointing and clicking. rewriting entire software applications, not so much.

That allows me to store more backups because they are smaller, and because they are smaller I can back them up more regularly, too. Which is beneficial since some of them change frequently. I can fit three such backups onto a DVD, whereas a System Image of my System drive would likely use up at least two dozen DVDs. Of course I could make an image of a reasonably clean OS Install, but then why bother? I Can just reinstall it myself when needed. I can redownload Windows ISOs and ISOs for Office and Visual Studio from MSDN (or find the discs I already burned); I can redownload Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA; I can reconfigure that software as desired.

If I lose the source to my applications, I cannot redownload them (well, at this point that's not true because a lot of them are in Distributed Source Control such as github, but not all of it is). I know because I've lost three years of Development work before from a series of HD crashes (which included the backup). This is why I focus on preserving what I cannot replace without effort. Windows and Applications are few clicks and a wait. Source code and images, sounds, music, and resources I created I cannot simply redownload, so I back them up. This also has the advantage that I can use that "backup" (in my case it's just a .7z file that I save to an external and burn to a disc) to copy projects and data to my laptop or to other systems if needed.

A typical time-frame for someone with an useable system or a failed HDD would be about 6 to 24 hours to install a fresh Windows OS and all their programs.  In some cases, important data cannot be saved when it comes to gamers. They may have hundreds or thousands of downloaded files that cannot be saved in the Programs directory.
          I don't generally backup game saves, either. I much prefer to preserve m productive data, rather than data files from a game or two. The one exception is that I plonk a Minecraft World into the .7z file as well. (this is executed via a backup script at 3AM every second day using PowerArchiver). Everything else is just a reason to play the game again in the future, really.

Coping the system image back to the C :Drive from a secondary drive be it an External HDD or an Internal HDD takes only an hour (on avg) for a C :Drive that has about 40GB of used space. I don't think the average PC user uses more than 200GB of space unless they are music or video collectors.
          My System drive has 48GB free of 698GB. Which is another reason I prefer to go the route of simply backing up what I need, not what might save time, because (and I suppose I'm repeating myself) I'd rather save 3 years of actual work than save a few hours of watching a progressbar. Because in the latter case I can always do something else in the meantime.

In either case, the system image contains not only all the Service Packs, Anti-Virus data updates and program updates, it also includes their collection of music and videos.
          My Music and Video files are stored on my secondary drive. It's been relatively untouched for a long time so several backup folders have been made on a few externals that mirror it and allowed me to copy it to other computers as desired.

You're opinion that backing up a system is "a waste of time" is relevant to you, not to other people around the world.
          Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Oh wait, I did:
          Of course for your average user the main concern is just being able to use the system, and Imaging usually allows for the fastest way to "get back" to a working system.

In fact, your "waste of time" comment is contrary to most every IT professionals opinion from system administrators to the guy in a remote area who may still be using dialup because broadband is not available. That person would have to experience agony trying to get caught-up with all the Windows Updates and other downloads.
          Congratulations, you managed to roll an Argument to authority,Special Pleading, and a Strawman into 2 sentences.

Waste of time, no.  Smart and fast solution to a catastrophic HDD or system infection, yes.

It would take me around 95 DVDs to back up my system drive, assuming rather liberal compression rates. I would not call that smart or fast in my case.

I was of course exclusively talking about my own case. Which is made clear by the conveniently ignored last sentence.

SuperTweaker

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:16 AM »
          You are a developer, not a computer maintenance expert. We are located in two different areas of the metaphorical onion which contains all the rings of different skill-sets in the world of IT.

That being said, no one would use DVD's to backup their system if they had a good understanding of "backing-up".  You would use an external HDD or a secondary internal HDD.

But I can see you are a person who wants to rule this forum and after this post, anything you feel necessary to disparage will be ignored.

Thanks for the warm welcome to this forum.  People like you need to keep their egos in-check. It's way too easy to feel "you're all that" in a forum.   ::)

peace

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
          Okay, well please allow me to extend a warm welcome to the forum :) .

Also, if I may, I'd like to make an observation. You are a brand new member and in your very first posts you chose to present yourself as highly knowledgeable and to state fairly strong opinions (in some instances, they were presented as "facts" as opposed to opinions, but okay). Well SuperTweaker, you are most welcome to do so. BUT - you then need to be prepared to face the consequences ;) . In this case, those consequences include both counter-opinions and corrections from a member with both a great deal of longevity and credibility (as well as respect) at Computer Hope.

I don't know what your primary intent was when you joined the forum. If it was to be of assistance to those in need of same, GREAT. If it was to present yourself as an expert, well - I think we all know how well that comes across - especially on a forum loaded with very knowledgeable folks. If it was to engage in technical philisophical discussions, that's fine too - just don't expect to be treated with kid gloves just because you're new here.

Bottom line, just stay within the rules and you're most welcome here - regardless of your reason for joining. We both welcome and encourage lively debate - just remember: keep all punches above the belt and if a referee (moderator) feels a need to intervene, please move to a neutral corner and lower your gloves.  ;D

SuperTweaker

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »
          I guess my ego is as huge as any other professional in in-home computer technology. I don't get easily offended but I think I "easily offend". Oops!

I come from several forums and recently sent this forum to some of my clients because the tips, suggestions and definitions of basic to advanced computer lingo and skills is easy for the average computer to find on this site.

Getting into the forum was based on one intent.  I don't like W8 and am part of a IT boycott group that comes down on M$ for releasing this new system that destroyed the continuity and familiarity of W8 to people over 40 years old. To me it's a crime, to others it's "something they must get use to" .  Whether our boycott or anyone else's boycotts makes a different in the coming W9 OS remains to be seen.

Younger people (some) embrace the new look of W8, probably because it's different from W95 to W7. Something other than what their elders have used.  Is W8 a cool OS?  Not IMHO.

So BW has banged away at the keyboard to point out all his contrary thinking and I have stated in my original posts (IMHO) several times.  Making a tough statement with IMHO should be clear to all that it's just an opinion.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I will stay away from directly communicating with BW.  We are two RAMS (no, not memory  ;D) butting heads on every turn.

I'll have fun here and I'll extend my knowledge to anyone with XP, Vista and 7 whenever I feel I can be helpful.

ciao  ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
          Are we done now?
          As for me, and many like me, 2014 will not force us to go Windows 8.
          (And some people are still using Windows 98 for their needs.)

Unless Microsoft comes up with the Really Big Next Big Thing real soon, Microsoft and its partners are in for a downhill run. The proverbial well is running dry.  They can paine the pump until the well is bone dry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »
          Just FWIW: I try to attack arguments and statements, and try to avoid attacking people. If I do that at any point- or if you feel I did, please accept my apologies. :). Otherwise I will attack arguments and statements very forcefully. But understand that this typically only occurs for statements and arguments that do not have any apparently merit or lack any evidence or backing information. If you provide backing information and stuff it's a lot harder to knock'em down.

You are a developer, not a computer maintenance expert.
          Software development and computer maintenance are not mutually exclusive. I'm neither an expert Developer nor an expert in computer maintenance.

That being said, no one would use DVD's to backup their system if they had a good understanding of "backing-up".  You would use an external HDD or a secondary internal HDD.
          In my case, All my External HDDs are full. Of backups. I put them on both. Again, something I believe I mentioned in my previous post. DVDs are generally better for long term storage in a cost-effective manner. I cannot (nor could I previously) afford to buy a bunch of external drives and store those as backups, nor would that be wise.

Essentially in order to backup my System Drive I would either need the aforementioned number of Optical discs (and a lot of time) or a drive of about equal or greater size and a lot of time. However, In my case, if I had a external drive of about equal or greater size (or really any size) I would rather use it to store the backups of my actual data, rather than System files/Programs that I can reinstall. This doesn't apply to everybody of course particular for many typical users who in this day and age often are content with Browser-based applications like Google Docs or use other distributed services and thus have rather limited actual data to backup, and usually (as you've said) relatively small System Drives that are far more feasible to backup.

But I can see you are a person who wants to rule this forum and after this post, anything you feel necessary to disparage will be ignored.
          I'm not sure I get the intent here, but I really doubt that anything I say would strongly influence whether somebody ignores anything said by others. I'd be more inclined to consider that whatever I am responding to would be considered more readily. I would certainly hope what I said would not force people to close their eyes to the opposing view.

Thanks for the warm welcome to this forum.  People like you need to keep their egos in-check. It's way too easy to feel "you're all that" in a forum.   ::)
          I'm not sure where Ego comes into it. In terms of the other thread, You made allegations and claims without evidence. And no, you did not use "IMHO" in those cases. Perhaps you meant to, but I interpreted it as a purposeful omission in the situation. Even so, Opinions can in fact be wrong. If, for example, you have some good evidence that shows how Win8 is in fact a Bad OS, I am genuinely open to it. Otherwise, it's a matter of opinion and it's also a fact that the situations is analogous with previous windows releases that have changed the system considerably, including the original introduction of the start menu. Which should at least provoke some real thought on the matter.

I guess my ego is as huge as any other professional in in-home computer technology. I don't get easily offended but I think I "easily offend". Oops!
          I wasn't offended. I just respond strongly to arguments that appear to be nothing more than emotional appeals. In the other thread you also didn't qualify what was your opinion with any statement as such, in fact it appeared to me that you did the opposite, which is why I responded so strongly. (Also I had just made a rather strong debate-style post in another forum on a completely unrelated topic so was still fired up in debate-mode).

Getting into the forum was based on one intent.  I don't like W8 and am part of a IT boycott group that comes down on M$ for releasing this new system that destroyed the continuity and familiarity of W8 to people over 40 years old. To me it's a crime, to others it's "something they must get use to" .  Whether our boycott or anyone else's boycotts makes a different in the coming W9 OS remains to be seen.
          Well, here's the thing. I'm completely open to the idea of Windows 8 being bad. Or even criminal.

However, Show me why. Tell me why this is the case. Otherwise, it's just an opinion; and while everybody is entitled to an opinion, that doesn't make those opinions immune from criticism- anymore than my own. I am equally prepared to defend any criticism of my own opinions on various matters and have in fact been persuaded to change my stance by other members a few times. In fact I believe it was a discussion on this forum that initially got me thinking about cognitive bias's I might have had against Vista affecting my opinion and use of it when I first got it. Though maybe I'm confusing memories of an inner monologue with a forum thread.

Younger people (some) embrace the new look of W8, probably because it's different from W95 to W7. Something other than what their elders have used.  Is W8 a cool OS?  Not IMHO.
          I started with MS-DOS 3.2, and I think this particular passage may be implicitly direct at me. I also disliked Windows 3.1 when I first started using it, and I disliked Windows 9x when I first started using it. It wasn't until XP that I realized that it was part of my responsibility to at least try to understand the changes that were made between the variants of software. Before That, I dismissed the NT subsystem as garbage based entirely on it lacking DOS mode, for example, without realizing the wealth of features  you get from a fully protected mode operating system. It all boiled down to "they changed it, now it sucks". And I couldn't come up with any good reasons beyond emotion and "feelings" on the subject as to why I didn't like XP. So I shod my reluctance and dove in, and try ot apply the same logic to any OS I try.

The only one that still managed to have a negative opinion overall was Gentoo Linux but I think that it's supposed to have that effect.

So BW has banged away at the keyboard to point out all his contrary thinking and I have stated in my original posts (IMHO) several times.  Making a tough statement with IMHO should be clear to all that it's just an opinion.
          Actually, in this thread you didn't use IMHO a single time. In fact you declared what you saying to be objective fact. Kinda the issue I took in that case. In this thread, I responded to your particulars in response to my own posts in the context of my own scenario, which is of course what I was referring to, perhaps not clearly enough, I gather, when I said that "I think it's a waste of time" in reference to Disk imaging. I of course meant it would be a waste of my time for my particular requirements, since I have far more important things to save. I did not mean to imply that it was a waste of time in the general case of users; I do know that Allan recommends Disk imaging software, and many others do as well. In most scenarios I even recommend it for a user. What I was getting at was more a refutation because I got the impression that you felt that everybody could benefit from System Imaging, which I do not think to be the case :). Otherwise I agree that for your typical user, Imaging software is useful.

Also just to be clear on the Win8 stuff: If you can find some concrete information that shows how Win8 is truly a "bad OS", I would genuinely like to hear it!

Thanks for the warm welcome and I will stay away from directly communicating with BW.  We are two RAMS (no, not memory  ;D) butting heads on every turn.
          I enjoy debating and Windows 8 is as good a topic as any other. I've had some very interesting debates on the subject on other forums, but have overall found the position that "Windows 8 is bad" to not really have much particularly useful evidence outside "I don't like it" :( Surely there is more to it than that, especially if you want to declare go to the length of saying Windows 8 is criminal! That's partly why I work to start these debates. I'm trying to squeeze out the evidence :P

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
            • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
          « Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »

I come from several forums and recently sent this forum to some of my clients because the tips, suggestions and definitions of basic to advanced computer lingo and skills is easy for the average computer to find on this site.

I'll have fun here and I'll extend my knowledge to anyone with XP, Vista and 7 whenever I feel I can be helpful.

ciao  ;)

Have you actually tried Windows 8 as your main OS for any length of time?

I used Windows 8 and absolutely hated it - I actually went as far as smashing my Windows 8 Beta DVD in anger after Frisbee-ing it at a wall and that was after writing "Don't even bother" on it after trying the first time.  I hated the OS and everything about it!  But... Eventually I sat down and forced myself to use it by completely removing my Windows 7 install.  At the time I tweeted "Once again I find myself trying yet another release of Windows 8 - Hopefully I can keep this one for more than 24 hours".  At first I really struggled, I do agree that the jump was huge.  But after using it for a while I realised that I actually liked the new features.  For example... At first I saw the start screen as a bad idea designed for touch screens, but then I realised that it actually made sense to use the full screen, when you open the start menu, you are fixating on it, not multitasking alongside it so why only use a small part of the screen?

Boycotting an OS?  That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard - Most people I've seen with Windows 8 didn't like it at first, they either got used to it and now like it (majority of people), installed modifications to bring back features like the start menu or downgraded to 7.  This is the first time I've heard of someone actively trying to protest over changes to some computer software!

I have a lot of strong opinions about computer software, I like certain stuff and dislike others, but I don't spend my time protesting about it - If you asked even people that know me really well, they probably wouldn't know what software I hate (Except for ones where I have yelled "Bloody <software name>" out loud) - But I get on with it.  If someone had a machine that was running a piece of software I personally don't like, I wouldn't even say anything (unless the software was dangerous e.g. a registry booster).

While this can be the case with a lot of XP machines, much of the time the machine can be pretty decent, I'm currently sitting with a pair of laptops running XP, both with Core Duo processors - They could run 7 or 8 perfectly, probably faster than they do XP!

Then questioning others backup strategies?  Really?  Did you ever realise that other people have different needs to you?  I also do not image my drive unless I am doing something very high risk.  For me, the most likely reason that I'll need a backup is due to deleting/modifying a file by accident.  In my life I have never experienced a total failure of my internal drive and I have only once lost my OS (Accidental incorrect command on a Linux machine when working late at night and tired... yep... "rm -rf /").  I have however needed to quickly access a file that I have accidentally deleted, this would be a real pain to recover from an image!  And considering I can have a working Windows install done in an hour, not having an image isn't a big deal!

You need to realise that first impressions count.  What has happened here is you have joined a forum where nobody knows you and started protesting about an OS that you personally do not like.  Then calling yourself a 'computer maintenance expert'.  While I'm not doubting that you are very knowledgeable, it's not a great idea joining a forum and in your first few posts shouting "Look at me, I'm an expert"  Then when other members question your opinions, you bash them.  For example: "You are a developer, not a computer maintenance expert." - BC_Programmer is one of the most respected and well known users on this forum.  While technically yes, he is a developer mostly (as am I) - It's not like developers don't use software or don't have opinions about it!

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
          I have a lot of strong opinions about computer software, I like certain stuff and dislike others, but I don't spend my time protesting about it ..
          Ding, Ding, Ding - and we have a winner!!!!! ;D

You and I probably went to the same school. If you like something, use it - even recommend it if you so choose. If you don't like something, don't use it - and if others ask, tell them your feelings. But protesting a product because you don't like it - especially an OS? Really?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
          I used Windows 8 and absolutely hated it
          IRC QUOTE TIME From us both :D I felt the same way before I gave it a fair go too:

Starting around June 2011
          Code: [Select]
          <&BC_Programming> I'm thinking windows 8 is just plain silly
          <&BC_Programming> my latest codeproject newsletter is filled with links on it
          <&BC_Programming> http://www.geekwire.com/2011/windows-8-radical-change-windows-huge-gamble-microsoft
          <&BC_Programming> I'm pretty sure that silly/stupid/phonelike interface is an option at least
          <&BC_Programming> I think I said this before, but *censored* is going on with Windows 8
          <&BC_Programming> IE: the OS basically acts like a freaking cell phone OS
          <&BC_Programming> from camerongray's video Windows 8 doesn't seem like a good fit for your average desktop or laptop
          <&BC_Programming> seems oriented towards touch devices

<&BC_Programming> would probably be great on a tablet, but they lobotomized everything that made it a good OS for desktops/laptops
          <&BC_Programming> then again, it was a developer preview
          <+camerongray> In honestly think that if Microsoft release Windows 8 and it is anyhting like the Developer prevew - I'm going penguin
          <&BC_programming> actually I might try it
          <&BC_programming> just to see if you can copy the win7 explorer.exe over windows 8's and get back the old start menu

Then, after we tried it...

Code: [Select]
          <&BC_Programming> hmm layers of indirection to my desktop- Router->laptop->router->desktop
          <&BC_Programming> hmm Windows 8 first impressions
          <&BC_Programming> not bad at all
          <&BC_Programming> Different? Yes. Bad? No
          <&BC_Programming> considering putting it on my laptop instead of win7 actually, at least to get a start on WinRT
          <&BC_Programming> I rather like Win8, and I'm not just saying that to be an opposing force to Camerongray, lol
          <+camerongray> I decided to give Windows 8 RTM a try
          <&BC_Programming> I like it myself
          <&BC_Programming> can't decide if I want to bother installing it on hardware though
          <+camerongray> Ahh, I do quite like it
          <+camerongray> BC_Programming, How have you been getting on with Windows 8?
          <&BC_Programming> It's only in a VM, haven't used it since
          <+camerongray> Ahh
          <+camerongray> I quite like it actually
          <&BC_Programming> I thought you hated it :/
          <+camerongray> I did
          <+camerongray> But the RTM feels a lot better
          <&BC_Programming> ahh
          <&BC_Programming> ok

have a lot of strong opinions about computer software, I like certain stuff and dislike others
          Yes You love Adobe SiteCatalyst :P

Then calling yourself a 'computer maintenance expert'
          Actually to be fair he didn't really. He said that I was a Developer, not a computer maintenance expert, But never really said anything about himself. Except for an analogy involving onions, not sure if that counts.

But protesting a product because you don't like it - especially an OS? Really?
          I've been protesting having a Monkey as a pet all my life. Not once have I succumbed to the urge to get a pet monkey. And I'm a better person for it. My house is also cleaner.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
          I've been protesting having a Monkey as a pet all my life. Not once have I succumbed to the urge to get a pet monkey. And I'm a better person for it. My house is also cleaner.
          Ummm - okay.

SuperTweaker

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
          Visit [removed] Nuff said.
          « Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:30:05 AM by Calum »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
          What is this? MS has a pet monkey?   :o
          New Report Says Microsoft Won't Buy Nook Media
          May 14, 2013
          The Web site Insider Monkey posted a story Monday, quoting a “highly placed source inside Microsoft” saying that the company has no plans to buy Barnes & Noble’s Nook Media group. Last week, citing documents it said it had seen,...
          Sounds like Monkey biz to me...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
          Visit [removed] Nuff said.

Uh... no, you'll have to flesh out a bit how that's relevant in any way.
          « Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:30:15 AM by Calum »

presspt

• physical therapy software
          « Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
          I believe Windows 8 is still in the continuous process of innovating and not final yet. If the upgrade to the new version will be free when you already installed Windows 8 then I guess it is okay to start now.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
          I believe Windows 8 is still in the continuous process of innovating and not final yet. If the upgrade to the new version will be free when you already installed Windows 8 then I guess it is okay to start now.
          Yes, references indicate Windows 8.1 will be a free update to Windows 8.  Here's one reference: http://gizmodo.com/windows-blue-is-officially-called-windows-8-1-505582364

simplyTechy100

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
            People who are saying it is April 1st 2014, it isn't. It is April 8th 2014.And if your server runs on Server 2003, they have until 2015. XP Embedded is 2016. :D 8)

trilok

Starter

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »
              It depends how you use your computer..Are you a heavy user or minimal? And anyways its always good to see some new interface so that it regenerates your intrest to work on your computer....I am using windows 8.. a cpl of minor bugs rest all going fine.... I love the apps and the interface...

Romeguides

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 03:47:38 AM »
                I've tried WINDOWS 8, and now I have it on my pC since the last semptember.
                In my opinion, not the best one! Just confused, full of uselss informations and icons, not easy to customize. Just very quick to start, nothing else, in my opinion.
                I'll suggest you to try it on a notebook, just to verify if you like it. I'll downgrade as soon as possible...

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
                I've tried WINDOWS 8, and now I have it on my pC since the last semptember.
                In my opinion, not the best one! Just confused, full of uselss informations and icons, not easy to customize. Just very quick to start, nothing else, in my opinion.
                I'll suggest you to try it on a notebook, just to verify if you like it. I'll downgrade as soon as possible...
                So, you've had it since last September but you want to downgrade as soon as possible.  Hmm...  Why don't you remove the "uselss informations and icons"?  What is "not easy to customize"?

carlito

Starter

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »
                  Why is everybody so quick to get on the win 8 bandwagon? Win 7 is pretty solid and 8 is still in beta.  At least wait till they come with win 8 sp3 before you jump. It usually takes Microsoft 2 yrs to get the kinks out of any of the new products.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
                  Why is everybody so quick to get on the win 8 bandwagon?
                  Because it is a incremental improvement over the previous generation of software. At the very least one ought to at least try it before complaining about how everybody is "jumping on the windows 8 bandwagon". Isn't it possible to say the opposite? There are a lot of people, Like in this Thread, SuperTweaker, who make up an assortment of reasons, and argue against Windows 8 with such passion you'd think Steve Ballmer went to their house and forcibly installed Windows 8 on all their machines. Why are those people so quick to jump on the Anti-Windows 8 bandwagon?

Win 7 is pretty solid and 8 is still in beta.
                  Windows 2000 is pretty solid too. Few people use it. Windows 8 has been RTM for almost a year now.

At least wait till they come with win 8 sp3 before you jump.
                  Did you wait until Windows 7 SP1 to use it? Most people didn't. Why the cognitive dissonance?

It usually takes Microsoft 2 yrs to get the kinks out of any of the new products.
                  No. It just takes 2 years for people to stop complaining about trivial changes.

carlito

Starter

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »
                    Because it is a incremental improvement over the previous generation of software.

BC_P,

That might be true of other companies but this is Microsoft we're talking about, remember their Vista fiasco. Microsoft's  strength is in marketing, not technology. True, Windows is the dominant OS in the world in terms of market share, but do you honestly believe that it is superior to Linux?  And while you say it is an, "incremental improvement over the previous generation of software", that is really a subjective opinion on your part. While you might have had a positive experience with Win 8, others have difficulties with it. Just cos something is new doesn't mean that it's better, especially when it comes to Microsoft. Surely, Vista was not an improvement over xp.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »
                    That might be true of other companies but this is Microsoft we're talking about, remember their Vista fiasco.
                    What about Vista? You mean the part where Vista (NT6) was received rather critically, but then Microsoft was able to release almost exactly the same Operating System as "Windows 7" and it was heralded as "fixing" Vista, even though it made very few actual changes?

but do you honestly believe that it is superior to Linux?
                    Of course it is. For one thing it actually supports ACLs and has proper FileSystem Security, which requires you to install SELinux with Linux distributions. I like the part where Linux still cannot properly resume USB devices when you wake the system up. This is because evidently they only skimmed the USB documentation.

Further irony: The Linux folks behind this were claiming it was "broken hardware".

At the same time, Microsoft already had a knowledge base article about that exact issue with Windows Vista and in that article they readily admit that the issue was in fact Vista not waiting long enough according to the USB interface specifications, causing the device to disconnect.

*nix in general continued to blame the device. Until a few days ago when Sarah Sharp has essentially said, "oh whoops, we were wrong all this time".

I could go ON and ON about this. The fact is that I've argued with Linux zealots ALL OVER the internet and very few of them can really come up with any real positives that Linux distributions have over Windows.  The worst of the reasons is usually regarding Security. Linux is not "more secure" than windows by any measurement. The fact is that Linux is not a viable target, so nobody bothers. Not to mention that the same things that keep Linux from being a viable desktop target for Software development also keeps it from being a viable target for software with malicious intentions. Even the game developers that do "support" linux only do so half-heartedly. The Indie Game Bundle usually includes games that support Linux, but each one I've gotten maybe one out of the 4 games that claim Linux support to even work, and it involved rather good familiarity with yum and apt-get to get working. They are hodgepodge pieces of software built like a Jigsaw puzzle into systems and the only distributions that have been able to get any real traction have had huge amounts of money thrown at them and actual commercial interests vested into them (Red hat, Ubuntu). Basic functionality doesn't work half the time, requiring you to write scripts to get basic functionality such as automatic Wallpaper switching, which you get for free elsewhere. meanwhile, the APIs that you have to access to actually script that functionality may as well not even be documented. When I wrote the script to do that for Mint 12 All I could find was information on components that apparently didn't exist in Mint 12 anymore, because they changed the shape of all the puzzle pieces. I highly doubt that script would still work on the current version of Mint. Did I mention that there is never a valid upgrade path? Of course not. Everybody is totally fine with completely wiping their existing install to update to the latest version, or risk making their system unbootable by manually pointing their package manager/update manager at the repository for the latest version.

On the desktop, Linux is simply garbage. Web and Shell Servers benefit from it pretty good though- being able to use yum/apt-get to setup apache/mysql and php/python quickly and easily is pretty useful, even though you can rest assured that your distro's repository is out of date.

And while you say it is an, "incremental improvement over the previous generation of software", that is really a subjective opinion on your part.
                    no, nothing subjective about it. I wasn't talking usability wise, but generally speaking. The improvements to Windows 8 over Windows 7 are analogous to the improvements to Vista from Windows XP. Like Vista, Windows 8 is getting a critical reception because people are stupid and don't know what they want, as well as simply having different preferences. This doesn't dismiss the improvements made. That's why MS is coming out with 8.1, which people are already saying "fixes everything wrong with Windows 8"; just like Windows 7 allegedly fixed everything wrong with Vista, even though what REALLY happened was hardware and software vendors who were the root cause of most issues had time to catch up to the latest implementations of Driver Models and UI frameworks. It's probably going to be the same story with Windows 8.1.

I really don't need to look much further than Vista to see how stupid Windows 8 haters are. They are the exact same set of folks, in most cases, that gave Vista flak for altogether stupid reasons, and then turned around and Said Win7 "fixed" those problems, when Windows 7 was almost exactly the same system, but because it was the first MS Operating System to be given an Open Beta- and perhaps most importantly the hardware and software available for running on Windows 7 was designed by developers that had time to learn the new system, whereas with Vista you had Vista Drivers that were rushed out, you had Vista Versions of Software that was rushed out, and altogether you created a software environment that ended up being problematic, not because of Vista, but because of the software not being given time to be tested and acclimatized to Vista.

While you might have had a positive experience with Win 8
                    I never said I did, to be fair. I've just not had to really do anything different. In particular I like how they removed the Start Menu, because honestly that was a pile of vestigial garbage- (let me explain).

Why was the Vista/7 start menu vestigial garbage? The All Programs menu was so unusable it may as well have not existed. With XP you would drill down through a hierarchal menu to find what you needed, which was still ridiculous- but with Vista and 7 they made this even more ridiculous by putting it all into a single treeview confined into this small box in the corner of the screen, meanwhile, NONE of the program folders have icons, instead they are all folders- unlike the XP start menu which would display icons. The reason for this was because The All Programs Menu was only around for people to use that had gotten used to XP's dystrophied methodology, which itself came from the vestiges of Windows 9x which basically had to use a heirarchal layout as an improvement over the one-layer-deep Program Manager, and systems didn't have the oomph to just let you index your entire PC and search them; but with Vista they did, so you could use Start->Search.

Honestly, when I find somebody that uses Vista/7/8 regularly and doesn't use the Search features, they are simply going to end up being less productive and slower. When you use the All Programs Menu, you don't just wander through and "Browse" the programs you have- you know what you want to start. So somebody decided, "Why not just let them type what they want?" And thus Start->Search. (It's also been integrated into numerous Linux distributions, because clearly Microsoft has no idea how to innovate and Linux and OSX wanted in on their non-innovations).

others have difficulties with it.
                    And some people have difficulty walking down alleyways, but you won't see me picketing to make alleyways wider for them.

Just cos something is new doesn't mean that it's better
                    Agreed. However I think the corrolary would be to argue that just because it's new doesn't mean it is not better, which seems to be the stance upon which your arguments are based.

especially when it comes to Microsoft.
                    How do you figure this?

Vista was not an improvement over xp.
                    Surely, it was. I find it hard to find reasons how it's not.

First, XP was released in 2001, and it was released as again, an incremental improvement to the previous systems, as well as merging the consumer and NT products into one; a NT-based Windows for Home systems. We had that system for 5 years, and it did not age well. And at the start it wasn't like it was received well anyway. People complained about everything- they complained about the new Start Menu, they complained about the default theme (what was up with that anyway? It almost makes 3.1's "Hot dog stand" look tame), they complained about the Luna Theme Manager, and how it took resources, and they complained about how it was now based on NT. whine complain whine, and complain some more.

And yet, fast forward to today, and there are people heralding XP as some pinnacle of OS excellence. In particular, those that try to argue that Vista was not an improvement. it was. Objectively. There is absolutely no way to say that "Usability and functionality was not improved in Vista compared to XP" Here is why.

1. The Start Menu. Again, same thing as before. the XP Start Menu was abysmal, just like the Start Menu's before it. I find it hard to believe that I not only was perfectly willing to launch an application by spending 20 seconds drilling down through an animated heirarchial menu, but that I actually didn't see a problem with it. Golly, I want to start Paint- Start->All Programs->Accessories->Paint. (Arguably you could memorize the executable names, and hope it was available as an apppath or at least on the system path). With Vista/7/8, I press the windows key and type paint. Then press enter. With XP, let's say you installed a soccer game. Damned if you remember what it was called though- I know it's in that start menu somewhere... Hmm, which company made it? Where did I put the Box for it anyway, I'm sure that will say who made it... So you end up trying to find this software product by simply searching through your All programs Menu, expanding each Company folder, seeing if it's in there, backing out, looking in another... Man, if only there was a way to automate this Searching in some way- like perhaps a small window shown on the Start Menu, which you could use to specify that you want to search. That would sure be a usability improvement, and an objectively good one...

Oh wait what? Vista added that objective usability improvement, that let's you actually find what you want by simply telling the PC what you want? If I want ot play that Soccer game by some Company who's name I never remember, I don't have to make a desktop icon or start drilling down and searching through every All Programs Entry... I just press the Windows Key and type Soccer. Oh, look, there it is.

And while it's nice to have 4GB or 8GB of RAM, it's a shame that XP doesn't really make use of that extra RAM on it's own, instead only doling out the Memory to applications through a mapped Virtual Address space. If only there was an advanced File Cache that analyzed your usage patterns and tried to prefetch Disk data into Memory before you needed it, and kept it readily available through a memory read rather than having to hit the disk. Man, that sort of fetching capability would sure be super! Oh? That was in Vista too? Egads! It's almost as if they were seeking to improve things or something!

And boy, I sure liked listening to Music on my XP machine, but I sometimes played games too and I had to fiddle with the Game Sound menu and tweak my sound player so I could get the right mixing. Man, if only there was a way to control Volume on a per-application basis. What? Vista added that too? And it revised the Sound subsystem so that crappy Sound Drivers couldn't cause a blue-screen since they ran in User mode, and only the Sound Mixer Component ran in Kernel mode? Geez it's almost as if they did usability studies or read the Microsoft Connect submissions!

XP's LUA was crappy and pretty much not really usable- First nobody used it, because they just used the default administrator account, and second even those that knew LUA was a good idea couldn't be bothered with the hassle, even with Fast-User switching it was still too much trouble- I want to install an application- Darn, no permission... I guess I need to log off, log in as admin, install it, log off, and log back into my limited account! Would be cool if the Operating System had some capability that would allow me to run a Limited User Account, but have a secure prompt of some sort when I needed administrator permissions, and then at that point it could run that thing in that administrator context.

Oh what? That is what UAC does? Amazing. (Speaking of UAC, UAC is one of the first things Vista haters will point at- apparently they don't realize that the entire reason that XP is such a RAT's nest is because absolutely everything runs in the context of the administrator account and has full control over everything. That little piece of javascript that was able to use a Firefox Buffer overflow vulnerability to execude arbitrary machine code in the context of the Firefox process sure loved having administrator permissions, since it made it so much easier for it to install that backdoor as a service under the LocalSystem Account.
                    Why was Windows 7 successful, where Windows Vista wasn't? I sort of explained that. Win7 was merely a set of UI tweaks and more or less a re-release of Windows Vista, with a new name to abandon the mental baggage and negative mindshare that "Windows Vista" had accumulated. I find it hard to believe people when they say that "Windows 7 fixes the problems of Vista" when all I see are some Window management additions, a slightly wider Search Results in the start menu, and the Superfetch starting with a lower priority from the OOBE.

carlito

Starter

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »
                      but do you honestly believe that it is superior to Linux?, Of course it is

Wow BC_P, I didn't expect such a long winded,  almost knee-jerk, defensive reaction to my simple points. Your argument about Linux being garbage on the desktop is simply due to your own biasness towards Windows. I admit that I've never tried Win 8 and I doubt that you have ever tried Linux. I do like Linux a lot, but I don't consider myself a Linux zealot. I use both Linux and Win 7. But I still maintain that Windows' strength is due to marketing rather than any technical superiority over Linux. Linux has a much  higher learning curve than Windows  simply because it gives you more control over the machine. It is geared more towards high-end users, geeks as they say, rather than Windows is. Yes, Windows is dominant in the desktop and laptop market but that is due to Microsoft's marketing strength. However, in the server market, Linux is king. Almost 90% of all Internet servers in the world run on Linux, due to the fact that it is less prone to crashes than Windows.

One point about Win 8 is that it was basically designed for the tablet market in order to compete with the Android OS, which dominates that market and also the smart phones market. It is an interesting point that Android is a Linux variant.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
                      is simply due to your own biasness towards Windows.
                      Right. It is totally not at all based on personal experience from running Linux for several years (Slackware, Gentoo, Mint, and Fedora, though I can't recall the order I actually used them. I recall Gentoo's tenure being rather short, though. (almost felt like a waste after going through all that compilation, really).

I use both Linux and Win 7.
                      So do I; Currently my Desktop runs Windows 7, and my Laptop Runs Windows 8.1. The laptop Previous ran whatever Linux distribution I was experimenting with at the time. My arguments against Linux are not "knee jerk" reactions because I'm steeped in the Windows concepts, but are based on personal experience through a variety of distributions, as well as personal attempts at making a piece of software that works on a variety of different distributions without requiring that recipients compile from source, which is practically impossible. It's great for people that like to tweak and fiddle with configurations, and settings, writing scripts and small programs to customize your experience, etc. But at some point I realized I was spending a lot more time making Linux work than I should need to. I also got bit on more than one occasion by the lacklustre power management facilities and particularly the aforementioned USB disconnection bug, though data loss was minimal. The best usage I got out of the laptop when it had Linux installed aside from basic Browsing capabilities (using Firefox version 3, which the package manager said was up to date despite this being around the time Firefox 14 was released...), was installing a MySQL database and using that for software testing.

But I still maintain that Windows' strength is due to marketing rather than any technical superiority over Linux.
                      On what do you base this, though? How can you maintain a stance in a discussion/argument/debate (whichever you want to call this :P) without presenting evidence supporting that stance?

But let's look at it. Of Course Microsoft is a company that is run by sales and marketing. This is not unique to Microsoft. Do you think Google hired Eric Schmidt because of his mastery of Page Ranking or Map Reduce? Did Apple re-integrate Jobs to the board of directors because of his contributions to RFC1553? All large computer corporations are run by these sorts of people. Sun was run by Scott McNealy, who followed his family's tradition of selling Big Iron. His "Big Iron" was simply in Computers, not cars. Sub wasn't run by Bill Joy; or by Andy Bechtolsheim, or Vinod Khosla. Why not? Because as a company, without sales, you are dead.

The bigger issue is that in terms of this particular argument, there are two cretinous assumptions. The first is that the Sales/LOB portion of the business makes any real decisions about the software; they don't. They make business decisions. Usually these are far removed from the software itself. The guys in charge don't care if it follows POSIX standards or anything like that. They delegate. Their talent is in being able to find talent and delegate tasks to that talent in a way that let's all those involve contribute using their particular strength. If you get crappy software from a company, it's not because of salesman. There is no correlation between the number of salesman in a company and the quality of the product being produced. You get crappy software not for these reasons. When you get crappy software, it's because it's written by people who don't know what they are doing. eg: Sarah Sharp and Greg Kroah-Hartman, who are very likely examples of the Peter Principle in action. Sometimes the product ends up being a WordPerfect, or an Excel, or an Early Netscape. More often, it turns into a rushed, botched Job... because they don't know what they are doing, and they don't know how to find and apply people that do know what they are doing; either because they've become a victim of Dunning Kruger (eg. Mark Shuttleworth), or because they have the social skills of Richard Stallman (eg Richard Stallman).

The secret to good software isn't even a secret. You simply find the right number of the right people with the right capabilities, in the right environment,(including testing and other boring stuff)- and you'll end up with a product that works and looks reasonable.

The alternative approach results in software like GIMP.

Linux has a much  higher learning curve than Windows  simply because it gives you more control over the machine.
                      I didn't say anything about Linux's learning curve. Fundamentally it's "learning curve" comes from being steeped in the logic of the 1970's, where a CLI was good for everything. User interfaces are an afterthought when it comes to *nix systems, by design; the CLI tools come first, and the GUI tools that run on various desktop environments simply call those Terminal Programs. (My personal favourite was when the package manager was messed up, Synaptic Package Manager doesn't fix it itself. It knows Exactly how to fix it, and helpfully tells you to run "dpkg --configure" but for some reason isn't able to do that itself. Anyway the highlight there is that the package manager itself is just a UI shell around apt-get and dpkg (or, on non-RPM systems, Yum/ports). The CLI versus UI debate is ancient; those on the side of the CLI claim that while the commands can seem arcane, they also give a lot of power to the user. Whereas the UI proponents (and tbh I tend to lean towards  that side, though I imagine that should be fairly obvious too), insist that a well designed GUI can be equally as powerful as a CLI, and far more accessible.

It is geared more towards high-end users, geeks as they say, rather than Windows is.

No. the problem with Linux is that it's not geared for anybody at all. The things that make Linux seem "geared" for advanced users are what we call "flaws", and the fact is that if those responsible for the system actually had a clue what they were doing and really wanted more market penetration, they would stop seeing those flaws as a design strategy. If you want to get anything done in Linux, you are almost always going to need to drop to Bash. (unless you just want to browse the web and stuff, I think it works for that- just stay away from the package manager, lest you corrupt it and it tell you to run "dpkg --configure"). But the thing is, having to drop to bash is not a purposeful design choice made at some point to "gear" the system to advanced users- it's a design oversight that is still required because nobody has actually looked at it and said, "golly, it's 2013, we shouldn't have to use a 40 year old Software interface method".

Yes, Windows is dominant in the desktop and laptop market but that is due to Microsoft's marketing strength.
                      I'd say it's because Linux and OSX are practically unusable to the masses. OSX has faltered because Apple is (reasonably) concentrating on it's cash cow, which is mobile devices, and Linux wasn't designed, but more cobbled together by basement Aspies over a few decades. The result being that "all the flaws are features" such as the fact that you are basically required to have at least passing familiarity with Bash to get along. That leaves Windows, which is actually backed by people that do market research, case studies, and Usability research. Mark Shuttleworth's "usability studies" are usually based on him using something for 40 minutes, though he only really uses it for 20 minutes and for the other 20 is saying what a waste of time such studies are- he knows usability- you know he was in space?

However, in the server market, Linux is king. Almost 90% of all Internet servers in the world run on Linux, due to the fact that it is less prone to crashes than Windows.

Linux is only stable as a server if you never, ever update it. Resist the urge to naively update your system. The ratio for servers hovers  60%/40%, though it depends heavily on where you get your statistics. (that is from W3Techs)

One point about Win 8 is that it was basically designed for the tablet market in order to compete with the Android OS 
                      No, that is Windows RT. If you want to split hairs, though, Microsoft was already in the tablet market with Windows CE in the mid 90's, but the hardware simply didn't have the Oomph and we didn't have the communications architecture we have today.

It is an interesting point that Android is a Linux variant.
                      Not that interesting. Linux is pretty much just the kernel. Google was gracious enough to remove the Stallman *censored* from the system, so at least we won't hear him asking us to call it "GNU/Linux/Android" or something. Even though it uses a Linux Kernel, Google doesn't mention it explicitly anywhere. It doesn't really matter what the Kernel is. The bulk of the engineering behind the System was done by Google, and to my recollection most of their efforts are closed source, proprietary components. (This includes I believe the Dalvik VM).

The more interesting bit is that while Linux advocacy folks will be quick to mention Android's market share and then label Android as a Linux distribution, when Android is shown to be cracked wide open and rootkitted or some malware that installs to Android systems is made public, many Linux folks will crow about how, "well, Android isn't really Linux". Anyway, Android has a completely different design and marketing philosophy and community than Linux. If anything, Android is successful because of Google's Marketing and Design, not because it happens to use a specific, heavily modified variant of a Open Source Kernel.

Besides, in all of this, where is the Love for FreeBSD  :'(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                      • Geek After Dark
                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                      « Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
                      Just re-partition your hard drive, download a free trial of Windows 8. It is an easy install and you can dual loot into the  old system. They give you 90 days to decide. And you can always add whatever Linux at anytime.

If you have three computers and three e-mail addresses, you should be able to keep going with windows 8 well into nest year. I think.